Ian Rapoport : David Garrard No Longer a Jet?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, May 15, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

in 2011 Sanchez completed 88/108 passes to running backs

in 2012 the Jets as a whole 52/96 to running back

80+% to 52%? 36 less completions.....The Jets lacked any security blanket out of the backfield to make life easier on a QB...ask Philip Rivers how much he would give to have Sproles back as his security blanket.

in 2011 LT has nearly 500 receiving yards out of the backfield...the running back had over 800 total yards catching the ball.

in 2012...all of the running back had 422 combined yards receiving.

The running back dump off is a hug weapon in the NFL...it moves the chains, it opens up the running game and the passing game.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Yeah. I know Sanchez doesn't fit the description at all. It was a knee jerk reaction.

He is one lucky motherfucker. I don't know if he does deals with the devil or if he has 7 horseshoes in his house or something. A bad QB surviving in the NFL for THIS long...?

Amazing.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think he actually have more completed passes to defensive linemen than our own RB's on screen passes...

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No...he hasnt. In 2011 he hit 91 to players out of the backfield, last year was on Sparano. As that total dropped to 41.

This isnt rocket science. Please try to keep up,

5. Hobbes3259

Hmmm..BTB AFCCGs. beating Brady, Manning, Ben on the road...32 scores in 2011. Yeah this guy sucks, it was All the defense and running game, especially those 32 tds in 2011.

Youre delusional.

Edit. Not delusional.

Fucking delusional.

To say hes underperformed is fair.

But Skelton,quinn, fitzpatrick,McCoy,Henne, Gabbert all say hello.

We could get to Tavaris Jackson, Sam Bradford, jaMarcus Russell..but it would be redundant.

#165 Hobbes3259, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  6. WVUMountaineers

WVUMountaineers New Member

That's why you don't only look at the stats. Watch the film and you'll realize you don't have another QB that can make the throws Geno can or has near the athleticism (I'm a big fan of McElroy's BTW and think he adds a lot to the roster). I've said it here before, Stedman was hurt during several of those losses and team's tried to take away Tavon and make the other WR's beat them. Tavon and Stedman accounted for 37 total receiving TD's and caused defenses to stay honest when they were both on the field. The teams that had success vs. WVU's offense did so without Stedman either on the field or at 100% and by at least somewhat limiting Tavon's production and bringing a ton of pressure. Add in the fact that Shawne Alston, the RB who most likely would have gotten the majority of the carries and had a very good Orange Bowl the year before missed most of the season due to injury, and you have the bulk of the reason why Geno struggled somewhat at times. He also tried to put the team on his back and make plays by himself at times, taking chances he normally wouldn't take. By all accounts he's been impressive so far both in terms of physical ability and football IQ, is saying the right things, and is helping other rookies better grasp the playbook, yet you're trying as hard as you can to find reasons to criticize him without him stepping foot on the field in a regular season game. I just don't get it.

7. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

now ur finally getting it Hobbes!

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a good thing this happened now and not in training camp. As others have said, can you imagine where we'd be right now if Geno hadn't fallen to the Jets on the 39?

9. 85inthehall

So you are saying Geno struggled when he lacked weapons and tried to do to much? Yeah great option to start.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

More like his RB's have been terrible at catching the ball. Seriously. It was pathetic.

11. Hobbes3259

Yeah, except you bolded the wrong line.

12. The Dark Knight

You just explained EXACTLY why I hated the Geno Smith pick. Nice work.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

great, so you'd be fine w/mcelroy, tebow & sanchez - thanks for clarifying.

14. The Dark Knight

I would have been fine with Sanchez, Garrard and McElroy for sure. I just mean the flaws I saw in Geno Smith as a prospect. He could not carry a team in the Big 12, how can he do it with even less weapons on the Jets? Since then, I have warmed to Geno, but I was just saying those were my worries. The guy with WVU in his name, knows the team well.

15. 85inthehall

I have no problem with Sanchez in this offense with a better corp of running backs and receivers.

I think Sanchez will have the ability to really excel -- this is his last shot in NY and the guy has the ability to step up in big moments.

16. Hobbes3259

Whats the matter laxative, the one clear example, you need to label as an excuse, because it doesnt fit your misguided perception.

Those are all facts.

Qb=sanchez.
    Offense= no change.
    Schotty=OC.
    Moore= brought in to coach red zone.

Sanchez scores 32 times, red zone offense second in the NFL, regular offense 25th.

How is that an excuse.

The simple fact is you are pmsing with Sanchez Derangement Syndrome.

Those are FACTS from 2011.

Lets face it, you are already a Geno ballwasher, who by your own Admission cant wait to see the most playoff succesful Jets QB off the team.

17. Hobbes3259

Ummm..ill stop at the first sentence...Geno cant go long outside the numbers, and this aint college, where austin looks like sprinter among geriatrics.

Sanchez flaws, and Smiths flaws, are about Identical, except Sanchez can go deep outside.

The cut up they showed during the combine, with no defense, and Geno throwing it 4 yards OOB tells you why he slipped to round two.

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It's fantasy to think that Sanchez will come in here and excel where he failed to be more than mediocre in his four years with the Jets.

It's like Battered Sanchez Syndrome over here. People are so afraid of trying out the unknown that they make up delusional reasons to keep an absolutely terrible quarterback.

If it weren't for his contract, we would not be having this discussion. Plain and simple.

19. 85inthehall

I look at 2011 -- was perfect in the red zone, accounted for 32 touchdowns, and did that with a running game in decline, and an offensive line that nearly got him killed. On top of that they guy knows how to come up big in big moments - 4 playoff wins, some clutch comeback, can play on the road.

It's not that Geno SMith is an unknown he is a 2nd round pick because he is at best a second round talent. He didn't slip like Russel Wilson because he was short - he lacks some of the skills you want to see in your QB. He excelled in shotgun, with heavy use of screen passes, wasn't great deep, has questions about personality -- if I had to choose who will excel in camp in a new offense - the 4 year veteran.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That's fine but I'd rather have a QB that can excel with the personnel on the field. Not someone that needs all pros at every position on offense and a number 1 defense just for him to look decent.