Jets RB situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thatisjetsfootball, May 14, 2013.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

This team is RB by committee/situation

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension, you should try it. I said a variety of reasons ONE of which is not staying healthy. If they can't stay healthy in limited roles what makes you 100% comfortable they can when their workload increases?

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Like every team in the league not called the Vikings

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

while thats part of ivory's issue, so were injuries. he only played 22 games at washington state in 3 years due to injury. missed the first six games of last year on the PUP due to injury. missed time the year before that and was put on injured reserve to end the season.

ivory has not been healthy for a full season yet. that should tell you that its not just the rotation that held him back

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Was too lazy to keep typing on my phone earlier so now ill elaborate.

*without a #1 RB or even "top of the depth chart" RB

6. 113

113 New Member

If we hadn't signed Ivory I would of agreed that going after Turner or Bradshaw on a one-year deal would of been smart.

But Ivory is poised to have a breakout season (1200 yard rusher hopefully). And if he remains healthy he's better than Turner (too old) and Bradshaw (just as injury prone).

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I feel better about our RB situation this year then I have in a while. Now we just have to hope that they can stay healthy.

8. BleedingGangGreen

The RB position has always been a young mans game. I like where we stand heading into camp in that regard.

Not only are we young in Chris Ivory (25), Mike Goodson (25), Bilal Powell (24) and Joe McKnight (25) but these kids are true athletic talents. All-Pro/HOF ability? No. But these kids can all bring excitement and production to the position.

Looking for Chris Ivory to break out as an NFL running back (simply love his rushing style) but also look for Joe McKnight to break out but not as a running back but instead, an actual offensive weapon. Kid averaged 6.0 yards per carry last season but the problem, was our offensive coordinator didn't know how to use McKnight's explosive ability. Only allowed McKnight 30 rushing attempts without giving McKnight a single screen pass in order to break his ability off into the open field. Only 30 rushing attempts for a kid averaging 6.0 yards per carry? That's a crime. No screen attempts and/or only two receiving targets throughout the entire season coming out of the backfield? That's a sin. Thank the football gods Sparano was ran out of town because he was even 5x worse than Shotty Jr...

I look for Ivory and Goodson to become our 1-2 punch with Powell getting some reps as well, but I look for McKnight to break out as an overall offensive playmaker.

#28 BleedingGangGreen, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Ivory and Goodson have both been productive in limited time. Powell shows a little bit of ability, and McKnight has some talent.

I'm fine with our RB situation. If they bring in one veteran on a vet's min. deal to compete for a spot, I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather see if Powell or McKnight or a late training camp cut to see what they can do than go for most of those veterans. At least they have long-term upside.

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I would rather run an empty backfield than to have Jacobs or Bradshaw.

11. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

NO. Those backs are not what they used to be. It's time to move forward with what we have and see where we stand.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As long as you pay them I'm sure the Jets will try them out.

13. mikey

mikey Active Member

I'm pretty excited to see what Ivory and Goodson can do when they get touches. Because of their situations (Ivory - Pass only offense, Goodson - Behind DMC) they are relatively unknown. Could catch other teams by surprise.

14. I love Ivory's film & have no issue w/ his acquisition. That said it reminds me an awful lot of the justin Mccareins/Matthew Hatchette moves of the past which did not work out well for the Jets. Oh well. Maybe this move is the charm.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Erm... Paging Joe McKnight

Yep, rebuilding doesn't need those kind of stop gap players and I'm also comfortable with our backs, one word HUNGRY....

.....and he may be the hungriest of the bunch. TC is going to be very very interesting

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd be clamoring for screen passes, but you're right. Remember the old days when we'd screen to Leon and watch him go? Those days are returning.

Praise Marty.

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

From your post to God's eyes, please. This could be where Joe McKnight fits in. He's got the build and speed to do those tasks for sure.

18. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Turner sucks, he's past his prime which was never that great to begin with.

19. JudoJNoble

JudoJNoble New Member

Actually, I think Ivory was healthy for the entire 2012 season. The Saints failure to use him much was just one questionable decision their rotating door of interim head coaches made last year.

I look forward to seeing Ivory tear it up.

20. GreenMonsters96

GreenMonsters96 New Member

-To Crash
    I understand rebuilding, but there's a diifference between the Jets rebuilding and the rest of the league. Every time I've seen the Jets go into a rebuilding year they enter the playoffs. Just think about all the holes they had entering the offseason and just how many they haven't just filled, but have filled with A LOT of potential. I strongley believe they will make a run for the playoffs. I do however agree with you on the rb situation. Those free agents won't fix this. Give Ivory a chance. If the Jets want to be a running team though, no matter how good you expect Ivory and Goodsn to be, neither are franchise players. They need another Curtis Martin. :finssuck:

#40 GreenMonsters96, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013