The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Race still plays a role but it is not a hardline delineator the way it used to be. This is mainly because race is becoming a non-factor at the college level. As the pool of good non-white college QB's increases their entry into the NFL will also increase.

We're a long way out from the days when an African-American QB like Condredge Holloway was an unusual phenomenon in college football.

2. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

there have been a dozen air raid QBs with the same gaudy numbers who also didn't get picked in the 1st round, bc not a single one has been able to succeed in the NFL. not bc they were black.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How many of those guys were recruited to play in the Air Raid? How many played well in a system in college before the Air Raid came in?

Do some research and present your numbers and your arguments become more convincing. If you just blather untruthfully as you did above then your arguments become less convincing.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Did this get posted already? Personal opinion: He'll bust because he won't be able to handle NYC (and that he isn't a great QB prospect to begin with). That said at #39 it was the right thing to give it a go... who knows, maybe we've struck gold.

[YOUTUBE]Vv-VdQRYvyc[/YOUTUBE]

#744 Mambo9, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just don't get how anyone can say he isn't a good QB prospect. Are you kidding me? His mental toughness is one thing, but physically he's got every single tool a QB could possibly need.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

I thought of that as well. I thought of that with Tebow and Sanchez. Tebow never really got a chance to receive boos though. Chad handled it okay I guess. But his arm never let him defend himself. Sanchez has been seen moping over on the sidelines, getting gun shy etc etc. Heck, look at the Yankees. Every time a good player is signed you wonder if he will be able to handle the pressure. A-Rod took a while to come around in the crunch and I don't know if he ever lived up to the hype. You can't count guys that were brought in to sell PSL's like Favre and Tomlinson. But yeah you have to wonder if NY will crush him. I think that's the point of the people getting on him for the green room display. Hopefully he was misread. NY is a tough town. But that's why being a champion there is so coveted.

8. WVUMountaineers

WVUMountaineers New Member

In reference to the comment about WVU's losses this past season, you must not have watched the games vs. TCU and OSU. I've already said that Stedman was injured in the middle of the season and it affected the offense as a whole, as the kid had 25 TDs!

LOL at the comment about his offers out of high school. Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and Michigan were a few of the schools that offered him a scholarship. He went on an official visit to Alabama. Nick Saban isn't going to bring a prospect in on an OV that he's not actively recruiting. He was an Elite 11 QB and had his choice of where to attend school. As someone mentioned, Coach Cogdell at Miramar played LB at WVU and he thinks highly of the university and program.

As far as the comments about the offense, I don't hear anyone bringing them up in reference to Sam Bradford and RGIII. I guess facts for some are only used when it suits their argument. Geno has talent and athleticism to be a very successful NFL QB. For some reason, some don't even want to give him a chance before he arrives at training camp.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like Smith as a prospect and I was happy we got him. I love his accuracy and decision making abilities that I think are key in the WCO. I think the mental crap / air raid crap that some people are throwing out about him are just ridiculous arguments.. Smith dealt with a lot at WVU - two systems and coaching staffs, a poor O-line, two differant conferences to perform in, etc. I also like that he has displayed the abilities to improvise and win in any situation, which is underrated in my mind.

One thing I am concerned about him is his ability to handle the weather though. He hasn't played a whole lot of poor weather games and when he has he's struggled a little bit.He doesn't have that cannon of an arm to strike through the wind. Can he navigate the winds of the Meadowlands?

He's also not very big - I worry that he'll have a lot of passes knocked back or grabbed at the line of scrimmage, especially in the short passing game. Hopefully they can fix that or it won't be as big an issue as I think it will be

11. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

I find it hard to believe they didn't get picked in the 1st round because they weren't successful in the NFL. You see, the way it works is, the draft comes before the playing career.

Unless NFL front offices had a working time machine, your point is semantically retarded.

Also, get over Geno Smith now. Time to move on.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is what I meant in the posts above... still worth a 2nd round flier though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--g...s-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html
    "His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-a...no-Smith/a2a9e35f-486a-416a-81de-b1f109f5e8c5
    (I'm not sure a guy who says a thousand times "I'm a great leader, I'm a great team-mate" knows what it really means... he really sounds cocky to me, and gives proof to the criticism in the above article)

#752 Mambo9, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If he's as bad as this picture paints he won't last very long.

14. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Did you see who wrote that article on yahoo? League executive doesn't mean jacksht. That idiot of a writer won't be able to put a name on it even if his life depended on it.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I know I know... all I'm saying though is, from what I have seen it seems to me as if Geno Smith's persona isn't the best fit for a NY team. I hope to be wrong and I hope getting drafted in the 2nd round pisses him off to no end and turns him into the next Peyton Manning... but as of now I see a guy who hasn't got "it".

I'll be rooting for him to succeed as I do for every Jet... and as always time will tell.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Geno certainly didn't help his cause by firing his agent in an obvious diva move because they didn't get him drafted 1st overall.

Gonna be another interesting camp for the Jets...

17. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

idk how you guys have done it for all these years.

ive been a jets fan for 20 years and i feel like i'm losing years of my life because it's so stressful. like jesus, NOTHING good can happen to this franchise

18. BleedGreenDaily

You just need to sit back and say... Don't get frustrated in the end there is nothing you can do but try to support the team on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays.

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

like i thought some of moves idzik has done have been spectacular, but all i heard on ESPN radio and WFAN is how fucking stupid this team is.

yesterday they were acting as if we were seriously going into camp with 6 QBS! like the media couldn't of seriously believed we were going into camp with tebow, garrard, simms, mcelroy, sanchez, and smith all fighting for the starting job. it was clear tebow and simms wouldnt be there

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

The only person saying that is Manish Mehta. Manish Mehta is not a good reporter.

How is camp going to be interesting? Off the field things stay off the field. Focus on how each performs. This is nothing short of character assissination that I GUARANTEE would not happen had he been picked by any of the 31 other teams.