Here's What People Aren't Getting...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Apr 25, 2013.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

the jets along with many others clearly were concerned with his neck...or else he would have gone top 5.

2. TurkJetFan

this guy gets it...

i love richardsons burst of the ball btw...its insane.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I am one hundred % on board with this and commend you for writing such an insightful thread. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed that we missed on Austin and Jordan, but WE ABSOLUTELY SELECTED BPA WITH NFL STARTING TALENT and did not over reach for a prospect or immediate contributor.
    By overreaching I mean what we had done in the past like Goldstone and Hill. It's time to build for the long haul.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I can hardly believe all the bitching on this board, but then again we're Jet fans. The OP is correct --- We're rebuilding. Do all the complainers forget where we got our GM from??

I like these picks for a few reasons:
    They tell me that Rex will be around here for a while no matter what happens in 2013. They tell me that he and Idzik are on the same page. Seattle is exactly who we want to be and who we used to be ... and who we're trying to be again. We now have two tall, athletic corners and a younger, quicker front 7. We can move Wilson to FS where he belongs because he flat out sucks at CB.

These picks also tell me that Idzik realizes that drafting offensive players in the 1st round without a viable NFL QB is like putting lipstick on a pig. So let's get our defense in place first and foremost, and muddle through 2013 with Garrard or even Sanchez if we have to. We can still draft a WR or RB in the 2nd round or later and get better value. The only WR drafted in the top 20 was Ausitn ... who I beleive is too small to be great WR. He's the 2013 Santana Moss. There were no RB's drafted in the Top 20. Drafting skill players with those picks would have been a complete reach. We did the right thing with our picks.

BTW --- If we could get Mike Glennon in the 2nd round I'd be all for it.

5. TurkJetFan

absolutely...or Nassib, or dare I say it...Geno Smith (who I don't think gets past the Jags)?

Aside from not picking offense first round for what you mentioned, there simply wasn't offensive talent worthy of the pick on the board when we were picking....

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Richardson had to be high on the Jets board.

Think about who was left when the Jets picked at 13. Lotulelei, Floyd, Jones, Vaccaro, Eifert, Werner, Patterson, all the QB's etc.

You think the Jets wouldn't have picked a QB if one was high on their board? A safety? A tight end?

We got the truth out of the Jets tonight in the form of their pick. It wasn't just a DT, it was pick of the DT litter for them.

The reason the Jets could not trade down was because ALL the DT's in the draft were still on the board. Floyd not getting picked up high screwed them. Star falling screwed them. The Jets board at the moment they had the 13 could easily have been Richardson, Star, Floyd and they were totally screwed because Carolina was just going to sit behind them and take the guy they didn't take.

What do you do in that situation?

You take the top guy on your board, which undoubtedly was Richardson.

I like the pick.

7. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

Richardson provides passrush for the jets nickel and 3rd down defenses. He is entirely diff in what he brings then coples or wilk. Seems more of a one gapper up the field type.

Let's face it Rex submarined the Austin pick by telling the kid the jets would draft him.

#47 ncjetfan, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mo Wilkerson could easily be a Pro Bowl LDE in a 4-3. He wouldn't likely be an All-Pro there because the All-Pros are usually two RDE's for obvious reasons but he could definitely be a game-changing player on the strong side.

9. PuMa

PuMa Banned

But...we only have 1 pick in the 2nd round. and we need so many O spots filled...
    HB,WR,TE,OL and still no Pass rusher.

10. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I still don't get it.

Coples is NOT a 4-3 DE, nor is he a 3-4 OLB. Rex ran him @ OLB drills, and didn't like them. He then drafted him anyway, so clearly Rex does NOT see Coples as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE, nor should he. He was a top-5 pick before the 2011 season, they moved him to 4-3 DE, and his stock fell. Surprise surprise.

Wilkerson is also absolutely NOT a 4-3 DE. He's 315 pounds and ran a 5 second 40. He's a stud 3-4 DE/4-3 DT. Just like Coples.

Where does Richardson fit? If he could play a 3-4 NT, then fine. We lost faith in Ellis? Fine. Pick Richardson. I'd still disagree with it over Jones, but I'd understand it.

a 3rd 3-4 DE/4-3 DT in three years? Hate it.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

But they took a guy that had 5 surgeries please miss me with that excuse.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

ok, i don't want to be that guy, but..

do you SERIOUSLY believe rex ryan who is a DEFENSIVE GURU didn't think this all out before hand? like seriously, he knows way more about defense than ALL of us

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Tonight's picks leave me wondering a lot of things:

Perhaps Ellis has health problems making Rex want to replace him.

Perhaps with drafting that CB, we can move Kyle Wilson to FS.

Maybe with our extreme lack of LBs, Rex wants to run a bunch of 5-2 defense. Maybe he wants to run a non-traditional 4-3.

Maybe the Jets organization just likes seeing its fans cry.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

our DLine is gonna be eating this season.

15. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Don't forget the first round CB playing in the nickel...in a league where apparently corners don't matter (at least that's what everyone was telling me last week to justify trading Revis)

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm all for going BPA when it's logical, which is why I had no problem with the Milliner pick even though we already have 2 solid starting CBs. But the Richardson pick made no sense whatsoever. The best position on the team was 3-4 DE. That's one of the hardest positions to fill, and we have two studs who are both in their early 20s. You can say we should transition to a 4-3, but we literally have nobody on the team, now other than Richardson, who would be a better fit in a 4-3 than a 3-4. And doing so would destroy all the value Wilkerson and Coples have. It just makes no sense. This is like the Colts using a first round pick on Geno Smith this year because they felt he was the BPA. Doesn't matter if the guy's a good player if there's nowhere for him to play. And it's not like this team, with so many big holes, had the luxury to go BPA in this draft. They still don't have a starting-caliber S, ROLB, TE, or RG on the roster. And they took what will be a backup lineman when guys like Vacarro, Jones, Eiffert, and Warmack (at 9) were on the board, who could have filled those holes. It almost feels like Idzik is unaware of how good Wilkerson and Coples are. The whole thing is mind-boggling to me.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Two things to consider before freaking out about these picks

1. Milliner was the arguably the top player at a premium position. I didn't want a corner, but with Austin and Mingo gone, I didn't want a guard in the top 10 either. Little known fact- Kyle Wilson isn't good. How many times did we see him get beat badly and saved by a poor throw(and then do a shitty little dance? (sidenote- Kyle Wilson sucks AND is unlikable)

2. Richardson- I initially hated this pick and then I thought better of it. Losing Mike DeVito isn't nothing- Devito was a very good run defender. Richardson is athletic, scheme versatile, and young. It's never bad to have guys like that.

-X-

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

DeVito was a UDFA. There was no need for a team with a billion holes to spend a first-round pick on a rotation defensive lineman.

19. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Anybody else realize in a 46 front, having Ellis at NT, Wilkerson and Richardson at DT, and Coples at DE is DIRTY (in the good sense)? Rex might be trying to rebuild his pop's D. Just a thought.

20. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

A-fucking-men.....