Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ScottFrost

ScottFrost Member

The longer this goes on, the more I think nothing is going to happen, I hope I am wrong...

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I just read Costellos article it says that it kicks in today at 4 pm,,,,we shall see

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Hopefully we have a capable fax machine, unlike the broncos....

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

$1 million in the NFL is pocket change. It's not going to sway anything into happening any faster.

5. PuMa

PuMa Banned

We wont trade by then.. I doubt we will let something like a little roster bonus stop us from evaluating more and taking time

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Hopefully they are plugging it into the fax line as I type and taking out the empty ink cartridge and replacing it with a new one,,,,,oops almost forgot to reload the paper tray. :lol:

7. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Revis Deal To Happen At Owners Meetings?

http://www.620wdae.com/pages/bucs.html?article=11067874

Though the Jets have said they're not intent on trading Darrelle Revis, many reports to the contrary are emerging that suggest he will end up becoming a Buccaneer.

Friday morning New York Daily columnist writer Gary Meyers says the Bucs "are the team that is going to make the deal" and it could happen during next week's owners meetings in Arizona.

CBSSports.com's Jason LaConfora thinks the teams will work it out next week though it could take some creative wording on the draft picks that would be headed New York's way.

WDAE's Rick Stroud said Friday that the Bucs "absolutely" will target a cornerback in the first round of the draft whether or not Revis is dealt for.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...is-jets-live-fantasy-island-article-1.1289310

"... It could get worse before it gets better, perhaps even in the next few days, when the NFL owners meetings open Sunday at the posh Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix.

One source said Thursday that he thinks the Jets could trade Revis at the meetings and that the Bucs are the team that is going to make the deal — simply because Tampa Bay is the only team that has displayed a willingness to pay Revis close to the $16 million a year he wants and also work with the Jets to provide market-value compensation in a trade.

Johnson and the Glazer family have a history of making big deals. The Jets traded Keyshawn Johnson to the Bucs in 2000. Bucs co-chairmen Bryan and Joel Glazer and GM Mark Dominik will be in the same hotel, meeting rooms and hallways from Sunday through Wednesday with Johnson and Idzik. These deals are much easier to finalize face-to-face than fax-to-fax.

If the Bucs are the team, both clubs should be able to resolve the reported dispute over the Jets wanting Tampa’s first-round pick next month, 13th overall, and the Bucs preferring to give up their 2014 first-round pick instead. The bottom line is Revis is the best cornerback in the NFL, maybe the best defensive player in the NFL, and the only leap of faith for the Bucs is that Revis will fully recover from his ACL injury. Put him together with safeties Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron and it’s going to be tough to throw on Tampa.

There are three other important links between the Jets and Bucs:

-- Idzik and Dominik worked together in the Bucs’ front office for nine years and spent the 1995-96 seasons in Tampa as pro personnel assistants. With Idzik being a first-time GM, it’s important that he have a comfort level with the guy on the other side of the table when he’s about to trade his best player.

-- Revis’ agent, Neil Schwartz, has a contentious relationship with the Jets that goes beyond Revis holding out in 2007 and 2010. But last year, Schwartz client Vincent Jackson signed a five-year, $55.5 million free agent deal with the Bucs that included $26 million in guaranteed money. Since no team is going to give up significant draft choices for a one-year rental, it’s crucial that Schwartz and the Bucs already have a good relationship.

-- Dave Wannstedt didn’t recruit Revis to Pitt, but he was his head coach for his final two seasons. Wannstedt was recently hired by Bucs coach Greg Schiano as Tampa’s special teams coordinator. Jeff Hafley, the Bucs’ assistant defensive backs coach, was Revis’ position coach at Pitt. Wannstedt and Hafley can endorse Revis as a high-character guy despite the money issues he has had with the Jets.

Revis’ No. 1 choice is to remain with the Jets. He loves New York. Would he be in Paris this week promoting the new Nike Zoom Revis training shoe if he had started his career in Tampa? He gets back this weekend, which may be just in time to approve a contract with the Bucs if the draft picks are worked out.

Connect the dots and they lead Revis to Tampa — and leave the Jets with a Super headache.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If there is a way for the Jets to get more other picks in this draft plus a 1st next they would be crazy not to prefer this strategy.

9. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

If we could get their first this year and either a first or second for next year, I would be satisfied. No way should we get less than that if Percy Harvin can fetch a first.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, it doesn't make sense.

if the Jets have an offer for the compensation they are looking for, they will obviously accept it. if that offer exists prior to the deadline, obviously they would accept it prior to the deadline. that isn't even worth discussing. would the Jets trade him for 2 firsts if it is offered before the deadline, or wait until after the deadline? what do you think?

if there is an offer that we are unaware of, but not for the compensation the Jets want, they will not accept it just because it is before the deadline to avoid the $1 million bonus.

your question was not simply about whether they have a deal for the compensation they seek, because obviously they would accept that deal at any point, but was asking whether the bonus deadline would instigate the Jets making a trade to avoid it, which is irrelevant, because it would require the Jets caving on some of their demands to avoid paying the bonus. you were asking about the bonus deadline affecting the Jets decision, which doesn't make sense when it is only $1 million. that is a paltry amount compared to the additional compensation the Jets would receive by holding out on the trade.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I did something on this awhile back and it was All-Pro CB's not Pro Bowl.

There has been one 1st Team All-Pro CB on a Super Bowl winner since 2001: Ty Law in 2003.

It's strange, because there have been a few All-Pro CB's who won it all but only Law in 2003 won both the ring and the award.

Notable CB's who have been All-Pro near a Super Bowl win: Charles Woodson in '09 and '11, Ronde Barber in '01 and '05.

CB, BTW, has a huge spread in terms of people who win the award compared to QB. 39 players were voted a 1st Team All-Pro at CB between 2001 and 2012 from among the PFW, AP and SI polls.

There were five 1st Team All-Pros in 2003 the year Law won both the award and the ring: Law, Chris McAlister, Patrick Surtain, Champ Bailey and Dre Bly.

Want a mind-blowing stat?

Since 2001 there has only been one 1st Team All-Pro QB to win a ring. Drew Brees in 2009, and in that year there were two 1st Team All-Pros at QB, one of only two years that has happened.

#591 Br4d, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  12. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Who gives a rats ass WHERE Revis goes? How is THAT Jets NEWS??? Jets news is: WHAT ARE THE JETS GOING TO GET FOR REVIS? Who cares where the hell he GOES? The moderators spend loads of time "locking" perfectly good Jets related topics. But this crap, which has nothing to do with the well being of the JETS, gets a pass. Amazing.

#592 Al Dorow, Mar 16, 2013
  13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets are going to force a trade before 4PM just to save 1 million.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Charles Woodson all pro in 2011 when Green Bay won it?

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Revis' leverage is going down as compensation is less than desired and other good CBs are signing for nowhere near as much. I'd be okay with keeping him if his price comes down a little.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Okay with keeping him?

Hell, if he brought his price down, I would be ecstatic to keep him. He is easily, when healthy, the best corner in the NFL. With Cro coming off a pro bowl year and Revis healthy, our defense could do great things. Especially now that we let go of all the old and slow players. Young, fast, and relentless. That's what Rex will thrive with

17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Then we need to hope the market stays down. If it ever picks back up then be prepared for another holdout. Last time he held out he missed 4 games & only came back when Jets gave him this stupid contract that forbids them from using franchise tag.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jet blue what I said was if there is an offer out there that the jets are considering that we are unaware of,,,and of course I meant with the compensation they seek not just " settling." if the million dollar bonus means nothing and 4 pm passes then I guess you guys are correct and we can look forward to this happening ( a trade ) at the owners meetings this week,,,,if not at that time then June 1 st is circled on our calendars ,,,we shall see

#598 CBG, Mar 16, 2013
  19. Br4d

Green Bay won in 2010. The Giants won in 2011.

20. Br4d

Having Revis in the locker room puts an unspoken meme in play for all the players: "I'm going to get every last dollar I'm worth and to hell with the team."

Sad but true.

If your best player and supposed team leader is fighting with the front office over compensation all the time why would anybody else not follow his example?