Top 9 post combine

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This draft is starting to smell a lot like 2009, minus the surefire QB at the top. I think the top 10 is going to be a minefield that sinks a lot of teams and the real hay in the draft is going to be from about 13 to the middle of the 2nd round.

I wish the Jets had the option to trade down but I suspect that everybody is going to be looking at the top 10 and making jokes like "who would you pick: the cripple, the freak or the heart attack in waiting?"

2. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I hope my GM has the nuts to say "eff all y'all" and draft the real best guy, not just the hype guy.

3. lamont_jordan_rules

the more i see of Jordan the more i am blown away ... hope to God he's there & the choice at 9

djr

(dion jordan rules)

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

NO WAY we select Patterson. We have Holmes, Hill, Edwards and Kerley. (Yes we resign Edwards, because Sanchez will want him and he will be very cheap.)

It will be a DL, OL or Milliner. (Please be Milliner!)

I do agree in the second round we select a QB though and that I predict will be Mike Glennon from North Carolina State. I know, most of you don't like the guy, but just placing what I think which is no worse than us picking a WR at #9.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

If it falls like this I believe the pick has to be Barkevious Mingo.

Let me start by saying, I was 100% against drafting Mingo. I watched several tapes of him to see if he jumped off the screen, and I wasn't impressed. He is to light, and was unsure of his coverage ability and I was convinced he was a 1 trick pony.

After watching his drills in the combine, I was convinced he could play in coverage, and went to watch the tape more intently. The first thing I noticed was his play recognition. I also noticed that a lot of plays he was just posting up the tackle, to watch the play, and react. (I assume this was game planned). I noticed his power, especially in the Alabama game where he drove Fluker (since Fluker is a known name) back on several occasions. In addition, he has several refined moves, and has that special closing burst to get to the QB.

Now, if we do take Mingo, he will need to add 10-15 lbs, as he is not a great tackler. From what I saw, he takes some bad angles, and is left trying to arm tackle. However, if he is squared up, he is decent, but who isn't in the NFL.

The biggest difference between him and Maybin (I assume he is the closest argument to taking him) is the ability to cover. That will provide better consistency, and the opportunity to make more plays.

If our front 3 can sustain the line, and I believe they will be able to, since they led the team in sacks last year, Mingo will get a lot of free looks.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

I wouldnt touch Mingo with a 10 foot pole at 9. He's probably the last person I want us to draft. Im not even sure he can play OLB in a 3-4. He's too light and cant set the edge. He has trouble converting converting his speed to power which is a big problem with him. He's never been asked to cover so thats a huge question mark because who knows if his athleticism translates to coverage skills.

Bottom line, there's about 30 people in this draft I would rather take than Mingo at 9. IMO, he's the biggest boom or bust player in this draft and thats something we should not be looking for. This franchise can not handle another top 10 bust.

In contrast, a player like Dion Jordan can also be viewed as a boom or bust player, but at the very least he's a OLB that can provide great coverage.

7. Br4d

Yeah, the 9 pick has me really nervous but I look at Jordan and Rex Ryan and I see a marriage made in heaven. I look at Mingo and I think of Bruce Irvin, but not the guaranteed pressure that Irvin brings.

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I would have said the same thing a week ago.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The major flaw is Ryan is only a 50/50 shot at being the Jets HC in 2014.

If we get more of a circus and don't improve the win/loss, he will be gone.

10. Br4d

That's true. If we have a chaotic circus atmosphere going on next year and the Jets finish poorly as they have the last two years Rex will be toast.

I'm counting on Idzik and the personnel guys creating enough competition for jobs that the players stay totally focused on winning and keeping their jobs and have less time for mischief.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of tape on him and I just don't see it. He seems like a low effort player who doesn't get anything close to consistent pressure.

I really like Dion Jordan at the 9, and to a lesser extent Ansah based on what I've seen on the OLB's in this draft.

12. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Mingo is such a polarizing player. NFL.com compares him to DeMarcus Ware, and I've also seen comparisons to Maybin. I've seen mocks with him in the top 5 and some where he falls to near the end of the first round.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I hope the jets don't pick mingo, he has speed, however I don't see size or strength to fit their defensive scheme.

14. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

uh...YES way we select Patterson BECAUSE we have Holmes ( malcontent POS who might not even make it to camp as we might cut him) Hill ( who should become good) Edwards ( who makes dirt look young) and Kerley (who is a decent slot receiver thus far). We basically he 1.5 receivers-especially next year. Need #1 receiver BIG TIME!!

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Doubt it, there will be too many good OLBs like Jordan, Jones, Moore, or Werner available to select over Mingo.

16. RKO

RKO New Member

So if the draft falls the way you have it, Lane Johnson, Bjoern Werner, Ziggy Ansah and Star are still on the board.

You grab one of those before even thinking about Corderrelle or Mingo, right?

I mean we do have Holmes, Kerley and Hill and maybe even Braylon. Adding a rookie WR would be overkill and since none of our QB's can get him the ball consistently anyway, what's the point of drafting a WR when you can grab a pass rusher or OT?

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The more I watch tape of the top OLBs I like Moore a lot, his ability to maintain his motor going while using his hands to brush off the blocker is impressive, I would like to see the Jets pick him up.

I think the chiefs might surprise people and pick him with their #1 pick, especially after the signings they made to solidify their offense.

18. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I'd be shocked if they picked him over Luke, Star, or Sharrif. They have two great OLBs in Houston and Hali, so I'd count OLB out.

#38 JohnnyThaJet, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  19. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Give me Patterson in the first and his qb bray in the 3rd