ESPN's Kiper talks Jets' potential draft day scenarios

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

That's one theory you can take. However, aren't there other theories which could explain this move? Do you really think Idzik being a puppet is the ONLY possible explanation for Jets to draft defense in the first round?

Rex isn't bringing back last year's defense which only allowed 14 points per game. His all-pro safety is walking out the door. His other starting safety is one year older & the wrong side of 30. He's losing 2-3 starting LB. If Rex could clone last year's defense (even without Revis) and reproduce the exact same effort next season, then your point would be valid.

Also, you've gotta look at where the top talent is in this draft. Nearly all mock drafts have defensive front seven & a couple of OT dominating the early picks. Those defensive players are on a talent/potential tier that far exceeds the average round 2 defensive player.

Now if you go offense, is the talent you pick up in the first dramatically better than what's available in the second round? Is it worth the drop off in talent you've passed up in skipping the top tier in defense this draft?

When looking at this draft, I think there's only one offensive position where the 1st round absolutely blows away the second round (which is OT).

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i can get behind this

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Holmes is not the problem with this team. He is a viable option at WR for this team, and is still young.

Edit: Holmes had solid lines in his games last year, and then add all the PI calls. Think what we would have with a good QB.

#63 wildaces, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Holmes is a problem if the Jets continue to run him onto the field as their #1 receiver. He neither has the talent nor can his ego responsibly handle such a task. He is a legitimate #2.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree, but that only makes sense if you have at least a somewhat balanced talent level. The Jets have glaring needs at linebacker and many offensive positions. They don't have any linebackers that can consistently pressure the QB, so they desperately need at least one.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Not really. True #1 receivers are hard to find, so you have to help talented receivers like Holmes by having other threats to throw to and to hit Holmes when he is open on 1 vs 1 coverage. On the other end, Holmes has to understand he's not a Calvin/Andre/Marshall and not a big type of receiver you throw jump balls to. He needs to run his routes all the time like he is expecting to get the ball. He can still be a GREAT receiver for us.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Not picking on ya here due, cuz I dont know any of these guys but how many snaps have you seen him play? 4? 2?

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

agreed. :up:

9. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I agree! A pass rusher is exactly what this team needs. That will help out the secondary. Should be interesting to see what the Jets do once Free Agency opens up!

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's this simple:

Can a defensive draft pic prevent more points than an offensive draft pic can deliver?

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think what is vastly important here,as much as pass rush, is getting LB'rs that can cover.
    With NE's TE's and the way RB's are catching balls out of the backfield, we need guys that are good in coverage.

12. chops44

chops44 Active Member

1-OLB
    2-OG
    3-HB unless one of top 3 QB fall
    4-OLB again!

13. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Sigh. This team needs so much it's sad. I'm not expecting good things next year and might even cancel my NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. I mean, what's the point?

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

If we draft a QB, yes. If not, Sanchez gives up another 36 points on his own.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Drafting a so-so QB or a so-so pass rusher in the first round just because the team has a hole to fill in that spot is how teams end up at 8-8 every season.

I don't care if you already have 10 so-so OLB'rs on your team with no 'glaring hole' at that position. If a Lawrence Taylor falls to you, you take him and figure it out from there.

Look at how many teams passed on Revis because they already had a so-so DB on the team.

Grab all the top talent you can grab....you only get one shot a year at it.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with Holmes is that he doesn't have the talent to be #1 and his ego is too big to be #2. Classic diva receiver who hurts his teams over the long run because he's standing out on the edge of the field with his hands on his hips thinking: if they just threw me the ball more I'd be all-world.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason that I'm not high on Mingo is that his performance in college suggests that he'll be an average player in the NFL. Pick him up high on a 1st round pick and you make it less likely that he'll make the adjustments necessary to take good defensive production in college and turn it into great defensive production in the pros.

He's one of those guys where if he slides to the 2nd round and comes into the NFL with a chip on his shoulder looking to make a big second contract he has a better shot at being a great player than if he just slides into things in the top half of the 1st.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've watched several games of Mingo. He's too small to set the edge in the run game. The kid is a speed rusher who would need to add about 20 pounds to be a full time OLB in a 34 defense. He is not an NFL DE by any means. His best bet may be to become a OLB in a 43 base other is going to be a situational pass rusher.

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

What about Le'Veon Bell? Where is he projected to go? Any major issues with him? I've liked what I've seen of him so far but only watched a few games and some highlight packs of him. His combine results seemed pretty good, too.

Obviously depends on the spot he falls to but if he was available mid-third round and we've already picked up two of OLB/DE/WR I would think that could be a good pickup.

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

IMO, he is not a WCO guy. He is a big bruiser back that will need a lot of reps to be significant.