How did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Feb 1, 2013.

1. NFL

NFL Active Member

Can't wait for that...then this team will really hit rock bottom.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

:lol: Exactly

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Prior to 1980, I was just watching football because my dad had it on every week. I vaguely remember the second Pittsburgh/Dallas Super Bowl, vaguely remember the Pittsburgh/Rams Super Bowl, and the Eagles/Raiders was the first one I actually sat down to watch. Then, in 1981, having firmly established that I liked football and watching it with my dad, I saw how much pain he was in when they started 0-3 and I just latched on. They went on a huge run after that, and by the time that playoff game against Buffalo was played, I was hooked.

Been a crazy, scream at the TV, can't-talk-to-me-after-a-tough-loss diehard ever since. There were some times when I backed off a little bit, like when I was a teenager and into my early 20s and my friends and girls were more of a priority, but I'm willing ot bet that a large majority of my friends and acquaintances, if asked who the biggest Jet fan they know is, would point to me.

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Firing Rex Ryan would be hitting rock bottom? lol I actually laughed out loud at that one. Regardless of whether you're a Rex apologist or not, firing a coach is not this team's lowpoint by any stretch. Only someone who's young and started following the in recent years could say something like that.

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

September 27,1981. Houston Oilers@NY Jets. Shea Stadium. The first game I remember. Best moment. November 22,1981. Richard Todd was playing with cracked ribs. He led the Jets to a game winning TD. Jerome Barkum. I was 5 years old. NY Sack Exchange. The NY Daily News would have a full page cartoon of a Jet every Sunday. I would put them on my wall.

WHEN a Super Bowl contender comes of age, there is always a moment of maturity, a moment that, if not grasped then and there, might not return for weeks or months. Often that moment is never in focus except through retrospect. But for the Jets that moment is clear now, that moment when they all seemed to grow taller. That moment occurred yesterday at Shea Stadium with only 16 seconds remaining when Richard Todd found Jerome Barkum in the end zone for an 11-yard touchdown pass that, with Pat Leahy's extra point, conquered the Miami Dolphins, 16-15, in a National Football League game that was as primeval as it was pivotal. Cold, windy, darkness beyond the lights, first place in the American Conference East at stake. But the moment belonged to Richard Todd more than anybody else. In other years, he has been booed at Shea Stadium, booed brutally and often unfairly. His psyche had recuperated, but just when the Jets were about to play their most important game in 12 seasons, he had been questionable as a starter because of a cracked rib.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/23/sports/the-jets-moment.html

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

Well considering what most people on here complain about, and the defense being the only thing holding this team up because of Rex. So what happens with no offense and no defense?

7. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

I am born and raised in Lawrence, MA.....but my father and his side of the family are born and raised in the Bronx, he was/is a HUGE Jets fan and is the reason I am a Jets fan as well.

The rest of my father's side of the family are Giant and Yankee fan naturally since Bronx is their home.....but growing up my father went to alot of Jets games early in the franchises existence and loved Namath, Maynard, etc so he became a Jets/Mets fan.

So my mother's side of the family are Pats fans......other than my father, his side of the family are Giants fans......and I chose to be a Jets fan due to my father and also my love for NYC/Bronx going up there often as a kid.

With that said.....I wanna thank my father for instilling the Green and White in my blood since birth ;) our team may not of enjoyed the level of success that NE and NYG has, but I STILL BLEED GREEN AND WHITE AND WILL TILL THE DAY I DIE!

Sent from my LG-P999

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I blame the media.

All the hub-bub over Broadway Joe got me interested in the team. The Super Bowl win a few years later cliched it for me.

Been cursed ever since.

9. Nick6539

Nick6539 Member

Growing up on Staten island, watching the Monday night miracle game with my cousins from Jersey. Became a life long fan that night. Testeverde is still my favorite qb. I miss those days

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Root for local team & for underdogs = Jets

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am a Jet fan because I need to add an element of humility, perhaps I should say a cause for humble, humbling, reflection, in what is otherwise my perfect and wonderful life. This is, after all, the world and not Heaven, so there needs to be some balancing element.

It works quite well, of course. The Jets are like that.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So if Jets will start winning, you'll stop being their fan?

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Assuming you mean win a super bowl, that might very well trigger the end of days, and we might well have Heaven right here on Earth.

But it was not my intent to digress into a theological discussion.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

My dad... And he himself wasn't a Jets fan until he moved to NY (I always get on him about that). He used to be a Raiders fan since he grew up in Kansas and everyone else was a Chiefs fan.

15. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Didn't really have a team in my youth because I was born and raised in Southern Virginia. Tried following the Redskins and then the Steelers but for whatever reason it didn't stick. Although I don't believe in idolizing athletes anymore at the time I was a HUGE C.Martin fan when he came to the jets. And for whatever reason I kept following the team until something stuck. I don't have my dad to blame for my situation lol, I chose it and choose it because I want the JETS to suceed more then any other pro team in sports.

16. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of us can blame it on our dads.

However, I think it would make it all the more sweeter for all of us to be able to call our fathers and say dad "They just won the Superbowl".

In 2011 in Pitt I was sad that the season was over. Usually I am more angry or pissed off. I was sad though because one of the things that I want is for him to say they won another title.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

:up:

You and me both!

18. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

My Dad having season tixx and taking me to games from 1973-1978 at Shea ( he gave them up when I started playing organized sports more frequently).

I was also a Cowboys fan back then because all kids my age were either Steeler or Cowboy fans in the mid late 70's.

The Cowboy thing faded away as I got older, really after the Mud Bowl year (that year both the Jets and Cowboys lost the Championship games I think)....unfortunately from there it was all Jets.

19. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

when i was ten years old in 1985 i was open to becoming a fan of either the jints or jets. my father and older brother were both jets fans but that was enough for me to join up.

so going into the season, the jints were huge contenders and jets weren't. so i figured i would watch both teams and let them decide for me......

fast forward to week two of NFL season and my very first game ever watching and it was a jets game......

......and to this day it was the greatest jets game i've seen. jets beat the phins something like 52 - 45 in overtime. absolute classic game and i've been a jets fan ever since.

because of that one game i have been living in hell as a mets, jets, knicks and islanders fan. uhgggg.

20. snipes824

snipes824 Member

My dad. His constant apologies aren't enough.