QB options for Jets (Merged Thread)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ben Had, Jan 1, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL..He's looking like 2012 Sanchez:lol:

2. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Please EJ Manuel in the 2nd

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Fixed your post :)

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Just saw the jets future qb marshall manning jets qb in 2030

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

I watched some EJ Manuel before today and I came away intrigued... He has his flaws, but as much upside as anyone in this draft. In the 3rd, I wouldnt mind taking him and letting him sit for a year while he develops (similar to Kaepernick).

He's got a good arm, great athleticism and is fairly accurate. At times he can make some pretty amazing throws and he has nice touch on deep throws. I think he got away with some dropped picks here and there and made some poor decisions along the ways... But maybe with some time to develop he could turn into something?

I know in Philly MM cut the field in half and only had two reads for Vick and a check down option in order to make reading the defense earlier. I could see something similar to that working for Manuel at first as a starter.

I can easily see a team taking him earlier though due to the recent success of mobile QB's and thinking they could just plug him in and he'll play like a star. The second would be too rich for my blood though.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I dont hate EJ, I think he's actually a very intriguing player, although he is not the runner Kaepernick is/was. I'm not sure how I'd feel taking him in the 3rd (not to say thats not his value, but again I dont really want a QB).

I'm dead set on staying away from a QB this season unless the value is too hard to pass up. I want one of the top 3 QBs next season while building up all the other pieces on offense this year. That involves drafting playmakers and olineman.

#206 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I've liked Manuel for some time now. He throws a bit awkward, and his deep ball seems to hang up in the air a bit, but I think he can develop really well. The guy has the size, and the arm to play. It's just a matter mental blocks and recognizing coverages.

Also, while I know he doesn't fit the WCO, Tyler Bray throws the best deep ball I've seen in quite some time. His timing and accuracy is off on the short routes, but my god he throws a nice deep throw. He'd be an amazing fit with the Jaguars I think.

8. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

there is no way that the jets draft a q.b. in the first round.you can bet on it.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Doubt it would happen but I'd be very curious to see Jets pick with Geno Smith still on the board.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Geno Smith is going to be there on the pick. The question is whether it makes any sense for the Jets to take a developmental project at QB a year before they may let Rex go. Most head coaches want their guy at QB.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

^I agree, there's no way they touch Geno Smith. He is a total project and high risk. They'll go OLB/DE in Rd 1. They may also end up trading down for more picks.

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's one of the problems. And considering that the quarterback class is pretty poor, a veteran stopgap probably makes the most sense. Draft a guy like Warmack and draft another weapon or two on offense, and try to win now. The defense should be fine with Rex, Wilkerson, Revis/Cromartie, Coples and whatever else Rex throws out there.

I don't think any of these quarterbacks is particularly good. Geno, Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, etc all give you reasons to like them but equally bad reasons to think they aren't that good.

At times (usually when the first read is open), Geno looks like he can put touch on the ball 2002 Chad Pennington style. But when he played real defenses, he was not very good, and his body language suffered at times, too. I don't trust him. He's a system quarterback. If he were mobile, he'd be worth taking a shot on, but he's not really a running QB at all.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

#213 ajax, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  14. Windeos

Windeos Member

It's hard for me to say this but I believe the quickest and best way for the Jets to get back on the road to contention is to make sure we have a top 3 pick in the 2014 draft.

Obviously to do that it means we forget about the 2013 season to an extent and concentrate on getting our cap situation sorted for the 2014 season so we are no longer in cap hell every offseason any more.

So hopefully we use the 2013 draft to fill out positions of need in regards o-line, pass rush, safety and skill positions.

Basically I'd use 2013 as a year of preparation for the bright new future of Jets football by making Bridgewater or Manziel to be our long term franchise QB in 2014.

The QB I'd personally prefer is Bridgewater. So he would be my personal choice of QB long term.

The Colts are the perfect example of how a team were horrible for a season due to Manning being injured but after drafting their new franchise QB in Luck who will lead them for years, they now have a bright long term future.

One year more of pain and we will be in a fantastic situation for the long term future.

Lets leave the QB position alone in 2013, stay away from Smith being drafted by us and focus on filling in the huge gaps in our roster.

Let the likes of Greene, Keller, Moore, DeVito, Pouha, J Smith, Scott, Pace, Thomas, E Smith & Landry all leave as free agents or be cut. It'll quicken the rebuild with extra draft choices in 2014 through the supplementary draft as well as cleaning our cap up.

I'd also look to sell high on Cromartie after his All Star year. Bring in a decent 2013 or 2014 pick or picks to help boost the ranks and fill in more gaps.

By cutting and letting so many players go it'll give the young guys like Davis at MLB proper game time along with any of our 2013 draft selections.

Lets stop looking for short cuts at the QB position and think long term.

Short term 2013 pain, for long term 2014 gain.

#214 Windeos, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with tanking the year is that it isn't that easy to turn on a dime after that and recover. If the guy the Jets draft at the top in 2014 turns out to be a bust you are talking probably 60 losses over the next 5 years. That's why you don't do that.

If the wheels fall off and you happen to be in a shot to get the top QB you do that but otherwise you try to win very game you can and go looking for a Roethlisberger or Rodgers with a later 1st round pick.

The Lions are 22-42 since they took Stafford at the top of the draft and he's actually working out.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Exactly. Plus the 2014 draft is a long way away. Just how guys right now are thinking about Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater is how some were talking about Matt Barkley and Logan Thomas this time last year.

17. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Matt Scott.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I swear this is the year to drop down in the draft...But I think every team will want to do that

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially for QB needy teams. However, OL talent looks really solid this year.

20. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Geno smith isn't an RG3 type runner but saying he isn't mobile is stupid. Watch highlights he can move around in the pocket and run when he needs to.