You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

That's what people said about Adrian Peterson too.

2. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

You people are talking about "just one player" like they'll be paying $10 million a year to Derrick fucking Strait. You absolutely do lock up a player who is orders of magnitudes better than the alternative. Large contracts are not necessarily bad values.

If the Jets lose Revis, they're tossing their best chance for future success overboard. Lock the door and close the lights.

3. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

It is the right move we were recently discussing it. My only surprise is that Jets were smart enough to do it. Maybe the new GM is already paying dividends.

4. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Would never trade the guy! What's fair value for a one of a kind player anyway? The guy has NO equal in the league.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're already in trouble for sinking too much money into too few players. You want to give Revis 20-30% of the cap? Revis can only play one position at a time and we need to field 11 competent players on the defense. Sometimes, the financial realities dictate what has to be done and it does't always coincide with what you might want to do.

6. Cman68

I'm actually shocked that its being considered. Its certainly a better option than watching Revis walk w/o comp when his contract is up or worse yet, having Revis, perhaps 2 other competent players and 8 other JAGS/Rookies on defense.

7. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

This question is a non sequitur and has zero argumentative value. In recent years, the jets beat the Patriots, Manning-led Colts, and Chargers in the playoffs on the road. How exactly do you think they were able to accomplish that?

Hint: it wasn't Josh Mauga.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

you haven't been watching Peterson play this year have you? or Brady when he came back from his ACL injury.

9. Bombers

Bombers New Member

Don't leave out Revis may have burned some bridges last negotiations and they also may feel he just might want off the team

10. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

I hope and expect that they are looking for a MASSIVE haul to trade him away.

If I was GM, it would take a team that is drafting ahead of us this year (1-8) to do the deal with, and it would take their:

2013 first round pick
    2014 first round pick
    2015 first round pick
    2013 second round pick
    2014 second round pick
    2015 second round pick
    2013 fifth round pick
    2014 fourth round pick
    2015 third round pick

If someone's giving me this deal... go ahead take him. Otherwise, I'm walking. In other words, we are keeping Revis.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I can't believe how much you guys under value Revis. Do you watch the games? He is a beast all over the field. He tackles running backs like a linebacker for christ sake.

12. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

I want ATLEAST a top ten pick and more.

13. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Revis and AP are totally two different animals...AP is built like a truck...Revis not so much.

14. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Guy just tore his ACL...Be realistic.

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Things I'd trade Revis for: Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Andrew Luck, JJ Watt, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson, Aldon Smith, Von Miller, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Ray Rice, 3 first round picks. That's basically it.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

:rofl: who the hell is giving up that much for a player in the first place?

17. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

I would do this in a heartbeat if we're the jets.

18. Cman68

We don't have enough money to pay Revis what he'll ask for. He's the best at what he does, but at this point in the team's development, we can't afford to sink that much money into one player when we have so many other needs that have to be addressed. What we do need to do is accept the reality that Revis will indeed go to the highest bidder and we can either get something for his services, or let him walk w/o comp. Either way, Revis is walking.

19. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

We're in trouble for sinking too much money into a few shitty players. Revis is affirmatively not shitty; in fact, he is one of the least stool-like properties in the entire NFL.

The salary cap is $120+ million. 25% of the cap would be $30 million annually. No one thinks it will take this much to sign Revis. But you're doing a great job winning the argument with that straw man.

Actually, the brilliant thing about Darrelle Revis is that you don't need 10 other good players to be successful with him. When the Jets fielded the best defense in the league, who was the centerpiece? Do you remember any of their brilliant pass rushers dominating an important game? Fuck, they couldn't get to first base with a quarterback, never mind sack him.

The financial realities dictate that you find value with each contract. Barring an absolutely absurd demand (asking to be paid like a quarterback does not qualify), Revis will return tremendous value on almost any investment. Not wanting to pay Revis 8 figures annually as a matter of principle is close-mindedness, plain and simple. The Jets cannot afford any more of that kind of thinking.

20. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Revis for Fitz and a 2nd....

In my dreams