Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

the team with favre was pretty darn good until favre got hurt

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kraft

he has been nothing but successful with the patriots. in all my life we as jets fans have never had an owner with one one millionth of the sense and foresight that kraft had.

i look forward to the day when they arent winning anymore and their stadium is empty. i am jsut not sure its going to happen with robert kraft running the organization.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Jets G.M. hire coming today or tomorrow
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
    Idzik

The Jets should draft linebacker Manti Te’o, if for no reason other than gratitude.

Te’o's travails have made us all forget, for a while, the dysfunction enveloping the New York Jets. But we’ll be reminded of it soon, when the Jets hire a General Manager.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, that hire is coming on Thursday or Friday.

Roughly 10 candidates were interviewed, and an unknown number of them were interviewed a second time in New York this week. The finalists are believed to be John Idzik of the Seahawks (pictured), Omar Khan of the Steelers, and Jets assistant G.M. Scott Cohen.

Whatever the Jets do, the move will be criticized and the G.M. will be scrutinized and another bad season could get everyone fired in 2014.

4. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Teams ran all over the Jet's defense this season. The Jets had the 3rd fewest passing attempts against them. Why pass when you can just run the ball down our fucking throats?

Yes, completion percentage was low but look at the bigger picture.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I belive i posted a thread this morning saying Izdick was the guy and it got moved

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Why pass when your in low scoring games and not behind by two possession or even more at any point in the game? Why pass when you are blowing out a team like SF, MIA, NE games

7. BleednGreen247

sounds like a terrible plan :rofl:

8. JFS76

JFS76 New Member

You point out the only bright spot on the team but as a whole they're terrible. You mentioned one thing they've done well. Rex is so clueless that coples and Wilkerson (I'm already a fan of both) weren't even getting many snaps per game. Don't you see a problem with that?

Hill does suck, but I have hope for him. I love his speed and athletic ability but he needs to learn to catch the damn ball.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Hahaha.....good one hobbes

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Idzik has spent the last year college scouting, has experience doing everything else as well. I hope we bring in a legit Director of College Scouting and allow Idzki, the DOCS and Rex to work together and bring this team some legit talent

Rex has an eye for defenders Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Davis, Bush and Allen all are serviceable to legit studs

However we need some talent on the Line, at RB, TE and WR and lets not forget QB. The good thing is we can fill 5 holes this draft with legit talents if we play the board correctly and do some trading back.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Just because fans are angry, doesn't mean we need a complete rebuild, and you don't fix problems and fill needs by ditching all the best players on the team and replacing them with rookies. You build around them and get the role players and talent to fill the needs we have and complement them. Trading Brick or Mangold would be utterly stupid. So what, we trade them all for picks and then have a rookie LT, rookie center, Ducasse, Howard and probably another rookie RG? Couch GMs crack me up. Unless those trades get us a franchise QB (which they won't) they are not worth it. Whatever QB we have playing next year will need protection. Brick & Mangold are not going anywhere. And yeah, Brick is really overrated with his what.. 2 total sacks allowed this year? He went most of the year without giving up a single one. It's not like the Jets are a BAD team either. They are a mediocre team. With Holmes, Revis and Keller healthy we'd have gone 8-8 at least, so this full rebuild talk is silly. We need a better QB, a stronger line.

#1131 Barcs, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Ummm, so he didn't draft Wilkerson, Coples, Kerley, Mangold, Ferguson or Revis right? Had he made bad picks in those cases we would have a really bad team right now. :lol:

It's so easy to just look at the bad, but it's not a fair assessment. That's just being angry and letting emotions get the best of you. The drafts have not been a disaster. They have been mediocre. Some good some bad. I agree about trading away too many picks, though.

And Wilson proved himself this year, you must not have watched the same team. You know the team that had #2 pass defense in the league without Revis. That's largely because of Wilson stepping up. You know he was the one being targeted the most. How can people be so blinded by hate and negativity that they conveniently forget everything positive that's ever happened? It's just being biased.

The one unfortunate thing is that this draft is a good defensive draft, and of course we'll be drafting pretty much all offense this go around. I just hope we can get a couple nice linebackers in the mix somewhere and trade down for more picks.

#1132 Barcs, Jan 18, 2013
  13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's not the guy yet. Maybe by the time you read this he will, but so far people are speculating that he's the #1 choice and will be offered the job. It hasn't actually been announced yet, so who knows. If offered the job, he might not take it although any new GM looking to prove themselves would be stupid to turn an opportunity like this down. I'd rather wait until things are finalized before wasting effort discussion what the dude should do.

#1133 Barcs, Jan 18, 2013
  14. AlToon

AlToon Member

Idzik can hire one of the Seattle personnel guys to assist him. Next January. They can hire Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell as head coach.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Wilson, Davis, Bush and Allen??? Really?????

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You must judge him on the whole picture not just what suits your argument . Did Tanny have some decent picks ,,,I said picks not drafts,,,,,yes he made some good picks but he also had some really really bad picks. It is ok to pick a guy in the 7 th round that does not pan out but when u make selections in the early rds they better be home runs or they set you back,,,,,,we were set back pretty far by the ghost,,,, Sanchez is looking real questionable right now and yes Wilson played better but are you warm n fuzzy having him start ? Not me . Hill ? Jury is still out and could we have not gotten Hill later ? Ducasse ? Most of us wish he was cut last training camp and if not for his high draft status he probably would have !

Throw in all the drat picks he traded away,, and the later picks that did not pan out and that are no longer on the team,,,,you put whatever name you wish on his drafts,,,,good ,,,not so bad,,," mediocre " the bottom line is the guy is gone for a reason , because he deserved to be gone and earned it ! When Mangini got fired Tanny deserved to go also ,,,,IMO.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

serviceable to legit

Bush and Allen are pretty good picks for 6th and 7th rounders

Kyle while considered a reach has been a great corner for us minus a few hiccups but in reality he hasn't been a bust but he didn't quite boom, yet

While that pick could have been Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, Kam Chancellor, Geno Atkins or NaVorra Bowman it was a good pick

Davis is going to be a stud in my eyes. Physical tools, leadership qualities and can do it all at ILB for us. Another year of coaching, with another training camp under his belt and more snaps along with more help especially at OLB and we'll see him grow into a borderline Pro-Bowl player

Sometimes you guys dont understand how the hell teams are suppose to work, every CB isn't Revis, every ILB isn't Willis and every Safety isn't Ed Reed but that doesn't mean they aren't good players that can develop into great players

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm bothered we traded up for Sanchez but didn't trade up for Matt Ryan the year before

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Different price tags. Whether or not Sanchez turns out to be the guy, the trade to get up to 5 was a heist.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

When you offense can't stay on the field, your defense gets run on. That's Football 101..... And, when you can't throw the ball on a team, a team is willing to let you run the ball between the 20s be ause the defense compresses in the red zone.

You know, no chunk plays....like you said try to understand the big picture.