The longer this search take, the more it magnifies the real problem!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Everything is interconnected. However Saban has shown that he's a great coach who can coach up the best talent which separates him from his peers. USC has had equal or better talent coming out of HS over the last 4 years. Yet without coaching, that talent means nothing more than a .500 season.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If somebody does not want this Job it has more to do with our cap situation and QB situation not Rex.

For all you brain surgeons out there that think we need a talent evaluator over a cap guy or we can gloss over the cab don't really understand the NFL. You cannot bring in talent if you have no cap space to bring that talent in.

You really think KC or San Diego or Jacksonville or Buffalo are better run organizations than the Jets?

The Jets lost one guy and that is a 38 year old unproven guy at that. Hell, give him total control Rex is an idiot. What are guys smoking for all accounts and from most sources Rex is one of the X and 0's coaches in the league.

Who is the guy calling for Saban a 60 year old guy that has much more failure in the NFL that Rex and deserted Miami you want to give him ownership? What is wrong with you people?

The head coach does not have time to scout that is why you have a GM and a scouting dept to get the players. Sure the coach has say but that is after he is presented with the all guys from the scouting dept and the staff.

The NFL everybody has holes and with the change in rules has become a passing league. The Jets need a QB and a lot of the problems go away as long as the team stays healthy.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

What do people think about Omar Khan?

From wikipedia

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No personnel or scouting experience. Pass.

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

We may have the most impatient fanbase of all time. Getting the right hire is beyond critical for the success of this team moving forward. I don't care if it takes another couple weeks to hire someone. Hughes is obv doing his due diligence and trying to find the best person for the job.

It amazes me how everyone here takes a one size fits all approach to everything. Why is it that the longer the process goes on, the more of an indictment it is on Woody and Rex? Why can't it be that our owner/consultant are actually doing the right thing for once and trying to find the best candidate possible?

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

And the whining continues. God forbid we don't hire the first 'name' guy out there. We didn't hire a guy who interviewed for the Jags THREE times and people want to fly out and slit their wrists.

Why not just wait until they hire someone. First, everyone was jumping because we MAY be hiring an internal candidate, now everyone is jumping because we waited too long (even though the first open GM position was filled Tuesday and today is Thursday).

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Saban hasn't shown that in the NFL.

He under-performed in Miami and the Dolphins had their big up-season after he left with a QB not on the team during his tenure.

College coaching and NFL coaching aren't the same thing. Being an NFL GM isn't the same thing as having the plenipotentiary power of a college head coach in a top 25 program.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

to be fair Miami did win 1 game the year after Saban left.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Conversely, the longer it takes the more likely they are to get it right.

10. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I'm not surprised. Who in their right mind thought any respectable candidate would be beating down the door with the mess that is the jets. The upside down world of the Jets coach hiring his GM. :breakdance:

#50 Jon_Snow, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe all the guys who are interviewing for it? Some of that could be them using the Jets as a negotiation tool but their are a limited number of NFL GM positions available and many candidates.

I don't think any Jets fan would be happy if Cohen ends up being the guy. IMO that would be an absolute disaster.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I saw someone state that the longer it takes, the better chance they have of getting it right. I don't believe they needed to hire the first person through the door, but at this point, I think it's more like "The longer it takes, the better chance they have of settling on Scott Cohen."

It's one thing to be thorough, another to be indecisive. And we know Woody isn't afraid to keep the status quo of FO people and just shuffle the roles around. Same with the CS. He did it with Tanny and he did it with Schotty.

#52 abyzmul, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. Br4d

Cam Cameron sucks does not equal Nick Saban good. :)

14. Br4d

Sometimes the right choice was sitting under your nose the whole time and you just needed to see it highlighted by the contrast with the other people you considered.

That said, I don't think Cohen is the strongest choice for the job. When you are creating a new culture it really helps to have new people to do that with.

The Baalke hiring in San Francisco is the counter-argument of course.

15. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

There's only two other teams left looking for a GM...

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

almost as good as yours!!

17. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

wouldn't it be funny if we are the last team.

18. Scottso

Scottso Member

The impatience of a lot of you guys cracks me up. A lot of you guys probably walk into a car dealership and buy a car you wouldn't have purchased had you done your research, paid too much for it, and probably closed the deal in a half hour. Relax, nothing wrong with doing your research and being thorough.

19. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Can't fire the owner so we might as well get used to living under the big top. I pretty much go into Jets games expecting the worst display of professional football known to man. That way I'm always pleasantly surprised by even the smallest sign of competence on and off of the field.

20. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

people are so impatient. It hasn't even been 2 weeks yet lol

The draft is not for another 3 months. It's not like this is college football, where if you don't hire someone you may lose out on some top recruits