Will we keep both cornerbacks for next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

This is actually something I've been wondering. Both cornerbacks are excellent, but we might only keep one for next year.

Personally, I think we'll probably keep Revis and trade Cromartie. Who knows if he'll be this good next year.

BTW: I forgot to add a poll for some reason, can a mod add a poll or can I do it myself?

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yes, of course. Why would Rex want to downgrade his precious defense?

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

When it comes to Revis, the only bad route they can take is to let him simply walk away in free agency next year.

Either sign him to a long term deal or trade him. Don't let his contract expire.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think we could have a really special D with Revis, Cro and a youthful front 7. However, we need to invest cap space into the offense. If that means parting ways with one of the CBs, so be it.

5. NFL

NFL Active Member

I read somewhere that we have more money invested into the offense than defense. If that is true, than we should be able to keep both CBs and getting rid of the old LBs should be enough. We have a lot of dead money tied up on offense that needs to go. I think that we should keep both corners and get younger at the LB position and Safety if we need to.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well when you are paying Sanchez top 10 QB money and Holmes top 10 WR money it might skew things. Now, if we are talking talent? Its not even close.

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

Oh I know, but the way I see it is, wait it out until they can get rid of those two. Getting rid of one of the corners will not do anything positive, these Jets aren't going anywhere next year. Don't get rid of one of the best players on the team, a necessary one at that to get more mediocre players. Wait it out for the year get rid of the big contracts then and build the offense off of that.

Harris could go though, if it was up to me I'd trade him and try to get Rolando McClain if released by the Raiders. Cheaper, younger, and even though he's been slacking, more upside.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jason Smith 12M
    Nacho 13M
    Tone 12.5M
    Ferguson 10M
    Mangold 9M

That is good 50+M on offense. You got it right.

(That said:

Pace: 11M
    Scott: 8.7M
    Harris: 13M
    Cro: 11M
    Revis: 9M)

Work of a wonder, I say.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

A new gm could easily trade Revis. Trading Cromartie wouldn't bring enough in return to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't do it, but I'd allow a gm three years to do it and prove me I'm wrong. Then cry as Revis plays into his 60s.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Keep Cromartie,trade Mevis

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well if we dont give Revis the biggest contract a defensive player has seen like I fully expect him to want, he's hitting free agency and we get a lovely 3rd round comp pick in return. Like you said, we are going no where next year. Why pay two CBs (who can only cover 2 players out of 5) almost 30 million? We could get picks for Revis, most likely high ones, and use that money to upgrade other positions and not tie ourselves down to the cap in the future.

The way I see it, like someone above said, we have two options- either give him that huge contract or trade him.

Now, if we are talking about an OLB... I would pay up. They can effect a play in more than one way, unlike a CB. They can stop the run, pressure the QB (which affects the WRs) and drop into coverage. Revis can only cover 1 player. In todays NFL, when teams are going 3 or 4 wide, that kind of money just isnt worth it.

We should definitely look into trading Revis or Cro, sadly.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I said that and was nearly stoned here.

*But it makes sense now how?*

P.S. If you give minimum for back ups, rookies and ST players, you still get to give out about 110M to 22 players - that is 5M/player. Sure, good QBs can make the entire offense a lot better and their huge salary cap figure is warranted, but 10M on CBs? That's borderline stupid. Two of them in one roster? That's a full blown stupidity at its best.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

For cap relief.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Revis is a Jet for life. No doubt about that.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what you value. Trading Cro provides more immediate cap relief for 2013. Not to mention Cro's inconsistency from season's past. This Pro-bowl season may be followed by a season of no focus. Jets may want to trade him while his value is at it's highest.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Harris should be restructured. He's a good, smart player with a key role in this D but he shouldn't be getting $13m imo.

Well make some big savings cutting Pace, Scott, and Smith.

I'd like Bart back on a cheap deal with him playing more special teams as Demario Davis gets a bigger role.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Harris is getting $10 mil per year ($13 mil 2013, $7 mil 2014) barring a holdout next year.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Cutting Jason Smith/Eric Smith/Pace/Scott will immediately knock off 30M or so - and that's about it. No more cap relief. That will keep Jets under 10M or so. With so much holes to fill - and rookie draftees to sign. Nice fucking job by T-Bomb.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If they can't work out a deal with revis with cromartie on the roster or with trading cromartie they have to try and trade him. You can't lose a #1 player and get nothing back for him.

20. RollingGreen

RollingGreen New Member

I agree, don't see Woody letting him walk or trading him.