Josh Freeman Won't Be Offered Extension

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Jan 7, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Josh Freeman at all. If Rex is our coach we need a QB who won't turn the ball over and can make the safe and easy throws consistently. That is the exact opposite of Freeman. He turns it over a lot and takes a lot of chances.

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay's doing the smart thing. Josh didn't really play his rookie season, so that's a wash. In his second season he played VERY well, in his third season he blew chunks and this season he was inconsistent, as was the entire team, but still, inconsistent. This is a show me year for him and he'll have to produce consistently in 2013 to get a long term deal from Tampa Bay. Still a better QB than Sanchez.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No way on Freeman. He's way too inconsistent. He's way better than Sanchez and does show flashes of brilliance but equally inept at times as well. I'd take Matt Moore for a year or two until we draft or trade for our future franchise QB. We have too many other areas on this offense to address (RB, WR, TE, OL) to trade any picks at this time. Not to mention upgrading our LB corps.

5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Freeman's been the starting QB for three seasons in Tampa Bay. One year he had 27 turnovers (oofa), another just 9 and then this season he had 19 - 8 of which came in two games when the season was caput.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. He's better than Sanchez and Tampa Bay won't be trading him to us for Sanchez, that's for damn sure.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sanchez? Freeman? In either case, no. I just think that they both need a change of scenery and a better situation. Sanchez, he will always have a ton of upside in my book. I just think that he'll never be what he was during the 2010 and 2011 postseasons in a Jets uniform.

We've both seen QBs that looked like they were done with one team, even though they had a ton of upside, go to another team and make something out of it. A lot of times, QBs with leess talent than Sanchez.

But mentally... with the Jets... I just don't see any way he can come back from what we have seen.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Ok, you don't trade for a kid that is around the same skill gap as Sanchez. He is not much better than what we have now, and I dare say he may not even be better than Sanchez.

He had another mediocre year, even though TB has done the exact opposite of what we did, which was surround him with amazing weapons. The kid had Vjax and DMartin for fuck sakes. Come on, Sanchez would have gave his left nut for anything that resembled that. Don't forget they also went out and got Dallas Clark to help him out, they have gave him weapons and he has still been very inconsistent.

This fan base makes me laugh really hard, the same fans that despise Sanchez and hate everything that he offers, want to turn around and get another mediocre QB and seemingly think that a move like this would be so amazing. It blows my mind.

8. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I don't think most of you guys are giving Freeman enough credit. Yeah, Freeman had solid weapons this year but TB also had one of the worst defenses in the league (Gave up the 4th most yards in the league, were dead last in passing D)... and they still managed to win 7 games.

The only year Tampa had even a mediocre defense during his tenure was 2010 (They were 16th in total yards... literally mediocre) and he had a QB rating of 96.

IMO if you put him on the Jets he has a rating of around 85-90, because he won't have to take as many chances since he wouldn't be playing from behind as much.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

and he played "well" against an incredibly weak schedule then w/ expectations in 2011 he was worse than Sanchez has ever been.

I stillt hink Freeman can be a good QB in this league but Mark has been better after 4 years despite the awful 2012 season.

10. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

You're right. We are not giving him enough credit. Because he doesn't deserve it. He DOES NOT warrant the kind of credit you or some others are suggesting. His value does not compare to that of Revis or Cromartie or a 3rd round pick.

11. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I'm with you on Sanchez and I think you hit the nail on the head that it's going to be real tough to see him come back from what we've seen in a Jets uniform.

Even if they bring in competition for him and he wins the starting job outright, the first time he has a bad game the fans will be all over him and calling for whomever the backup is.

12. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Bucs games have been blacked out for 3 seasons. No one has seen him play all the time...except maybe the 2300 fans that go to the game every weekend.

13. NYJetsfan56

NYJetsfan56 Member

He had Doug Martin, Dallas Clark, Vincent Jackson, and Mike Williams and he still sucked.

14. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Good observation dude, of course no one here wants to believe that and I wanted Freeman on draft day

15. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Relax, I never said we should trade DR, AC, or a 3rd. All I'm saying is that Freeman is an above-average quarterback who has some upside, and we can do a lot worse. When you have a terrible defense and have to throw the ball 500+ times you end up having to take more chances. The only year that the Bucs were even mediocre defensively Freeman had a great year, ending up with the 6th highest quarterback rating in the league.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I wouldnt even trade Sanchez for Josh Freeman, Yet Revis for Freeman????? A leader of men?????? WTF is wrong with this picture. Freeman has never even sniffed the playoffs.Better yet Revis and Cromartie for him?Wut the Fuck Kurt really........ i mean what the fuck

#36 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So where is he headed on a vacation ????? Maybe rent a motel in the Bronx for a night maybe???? Because he is gonna be on the roster next season theres no way around it without destroying the cap for the next 5 years

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's an easy way around having Sanchez on the roster next year: just cut him on June 1st. That move has almost the exact same profile on the cap as keeping him around until the waiver period after 2013 and cutting him then,

The only way we kill the cap for the next 5 seasons is if we hang on to Sanchez each year in the hopes that next year will be better.

Look at the cap numbers. Sanchez costs us 12.8M on the cap next year whether we keep him or cut him on June 1st. He costs between 4.5 and 5M on the cap in 2014 whether we cut him June 1st next year or cut him in the waiver period after the season.

19. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I think Sanchez has earned the right to be nicknamed Suckchez. However, I am willing to give him a new shot with a real QB coach and a real OC. If its more of the same, it will be time to ship him out!

20. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Of course Freeman never has played on an NFL team as talented as the one Sanchez played on in his first two seasons with us. Just sayin'......!