Mangini getting my lowest grade of all rookies

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets41815162342, Sep 2, 2006.

1. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Why, Cause Kevin Mawae says the players hate Mangini..My understanding is Mawae is the biggest a-hole on the planet and I bet most of the Jet players hated his ass anyway.No one in the press knows what kind of relationship Mangini has with his players in meetings and the halls of Ewbanks, especially not the media who are not allowed to roam around the halls. Mangini's not on the practice field yukking it up with his players..good..The NFL is not the NBA head coaches run the NFL which is why its the greatest sports league in the world..Not like NBA basketball which is UNWATCHABLE..and one player can get a coach fired. It took along time but I'm a firm believer in the Mangini way and the NEW YORK JETS have finally got the right coach...period

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I have heard at least a couple of players say that they hated playing for parcells, at least at first. I cannot give you names, I'm drunk right now, but I'm sure that I've heard it. Parcells used to run tough camps, the article touches on his and Bellichicks conversations this season of how it used to be and they both got back to harder camps (this is from another recent article). I'll definitely agree that Parcells has more charisma, and personality than Mangini. That's part of what makes him great. Parcells is no saint though when it comes to humiliating players - he certainly has his fair share of NFL sound bites and quotes of chewing players out. I'm not getting the same vibe from this article as you about him (mangini) being such a dictator.

Again, I don't see where you're getting all this from. Did I miss part of the article?

I hear what you're saying about where there's smoke there's fire. We've heard a few players grumbling according to the media. These are the players that need to leave or come to terms with the approach. I have to disagree about his training camp style not being similar to parcells or bellichick though. He may be missing the personality of parcels, and he doesn't have the rings that bellichick has, but IMO he's trying to follow their lead.

I can see where you're coming from, I just think we see the situation differently. You could very well be right, I could very well be wrong - but I hope not.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Why bash him so soon? Let him do his thing, and give him a chance to establish his plans for this team. Maybe he is just taking a "No BS" attitude to show his players he means business. Trying to get everyone on the same page.

Whatever it may be, I dont care. I refuse to judge a guy before he even gets started. We'll just see how the next couple seasons go....

4. Buttle

Buttle New Member

\

I hope I am wrong as well and I do respect your opinion. I remember so many years where I would know the bigegst game of the Jets season would be the pre-season game against the Giants and the season would essentially be over after a few weeks. Nothing more depressing that having to suffer through many losing season. This is not a bad team. With good coaching, good QB play and some luck we could be a contender. I don't want to go back again to losing football.

In regards to Parcells he has a talent of making fun of people but making them like it. He uses humor and has the charisma to get away with what he said and to motivate players. But he is more brak than bite. He may at times say demeaning things but he not only has the reputation to get away with it but the personality. That appears to be the big difference between him and Magini that many of the articles are trying to articulate.

5. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Parcell's once refered to Terry Glenn as a "she" in a press conference..Terry and Bill look like they get along fine now..why. Mr. Glenn has matured finally and enjoys his FAT paycheck every week and knows what is expected of him and doesn't act like a a-hole like his Patriot days. Pro football players never "play hard" for the coach, thats high school BS.. they are very proud athletes who are very competitive people all the time, it's why there in the NFL and some of there more talented buddies in college are not.. AND they are all playing for their NEXT contract..Money is a pretty big motivator for anyone. When you 53 men in your charge and trying to win games the tone has to be set, the bar is set high..I doubt anyone of the Jet players works harder then Coach Mangini does 7 days a week..

The will to win is worthless without the will to prepare.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This thread should be moved to the "Bullshit" discussuion area, since it's pretty much the gist of what is contained here.

Imagine, not one game into the seasion and all of 4 preseason games, "Jet fans" allready are condemning Mr. Mangini for his tactics on how to treat NFL players.

If Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi were scrutinized or lambasted at the begining of there illustrious coaching carreers, would the NFL had been blessed with such well respected and storied franchises as the Packers and Cowboys?

These 2 were well noted for their "dogged" treatment of their players but the results were more than positive when game day came about.

Mangini should be judged after his tenure when all the players are his from his chosing and fits his philosophy, and not before.

#66 BomberJet, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2005
  7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Phil Sims has state catagorically that he hated Parcells when he played for him.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Jim Burt certainly hated him. This is the headline and lead from a November 25, 1989, article in the New York Times:

9. steviep

steviep Active Member

I remember when Parcells took over the jets -- and i was listening to NON FOOTBALL SPORTS GUYS talking about the jets about half way into the first season. Parcells was a story so a lot of people were watching the games -- even non sports fans.

The guy commented something like, when a player made a mistake hed walk all the way to the end to avoid being "stared down" by Parcells.

I dont think that every coach needs to be a hard *** but -- the players should be held accountable when they screw up.

I was ok with Herm -- 3 out of 5. BUT, it was clear that the players were not motivated by fear of Herm OR fear of losing their jobs.

10. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Tough Training Camp...Lets see two sessions , roughly 5 hours on the field and maybe 2 hours of class time..damn a seven hour day..that Coach Mangini is killing us..Its not like their hitting out their ,,drill work, walk throughs..pass route running..no one ever gets tackled to the ground..What am I missing here...Oh their nice FAT paychecks..Anyone out their a roofer or drag cement for a living??..I gues tough and grueling are relative words.

11. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

is there any other way to do that?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Burt started the Gatorade bath nonsense as a mean-spirited prank on Parcells. I think I saw that on NFL network.

13. Phinstd

Phinstd New Member

Saban and Belichick both do the exact same things with the media, it's where he got the practice from.

Of course Mangini is doing what he has learned from his mentor, what else would you expect? In your job don't you follow the steps and direction of the ones you respect and trust in your profession?

Give the man some time, he'll prove his salt or fail. Either way, the Jets are just going to have to be patient. Hiring a 30 something y/o coach tells me they already know that. Chill man, chill.

14. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Everybody talks about Parcells' charisma....pure charisma never won anything. Belichick has proven to be a better coach than Parcells, and he has all the charisma of "Lurch" from the Addams Family...

15. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

and to add Parcells has never won a super bowl without "little Bill" The question is whether its high school or NFL football ..Do the players buy into your offensive and defensive schemes??..do they believe you have prepared them to have a chance to win every week? I don't think anyone can question whether this team will be prepared every week..we have already saw the evidence in pre-season..whether their is enough talent is always an issue inthis league, but smart coaches and solid game plans are a huge part of the NFL..We are in excellent hands my fellow Jet fans

16. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I started this rediculous thread and I am here to say that I was 100% WRONG. No excuses, no exceptions. Mangini had that team ready today and with a small handful of average to decent talent he churned out a win in a hostile environment.

He talked it and he walked it. All us doubters can eat it.

17. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Put some salt on it. eating shit, as I have been led to believe, is tastier that way.

18. akibud

akibud Active Member

I applaud you for owning up!!

but as ridiculous as this thread is, what made you think you could be grading coaches who have never coached in the regular season?

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Admitting to a mistake makes you very different from some other people on this board, my friend.

20. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Why does it always seem like a lot of the posters here aren't really Jets fans?