Jet Vets want Rex Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Cannizzaro with a glowing article saying that the team wants Rex back.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/coach_corner_MznRC03FbLjSItamYALGUM

Although I would be happier if the two main supporters were not guys who could be perceived as sucking up to keep their jobs ( Scott & Thomas) , this article seems to substantiate a feeling I've had this year; that Rex has done a pretty good job with the hand he's been dealt. The locker room is not a disaster, and the Jets could be a lot worse off ( e.g. Eagles & Chargers).

He hasn't done a great job with the offense but that's fixable.
    Jets need continuity. I don't want to see another Pete Carroll or Bill Belichek situation, where we are the building block for another team to reap the reward. Let the Jets be the beneficiary of Rex's on-the-job HC training.

2. Jetnut

Jetnut Member

Of course they do, Its Club Rex...

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the next 2 weeks will be telling in how they really feel.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

of course they do, they know that continuity is critically important to success. firing the coach everytime the team has a down season is idiotic and simply leads to more failure and at best mediocrity. the jets have a habit of firing coaches every few seasons and as a result the jets have a habit of being mediocre at best for decades. The Vets support the coach b/c they know that continuity is best for the team.

5. alleycat9

im sure that is what antonio cromartie is thinking.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I agree with the vets. Firing Rex now would be very dumb to say the least.

Something I've thought about: Would you fire him if his first two years and last two years were reversed?

7. alleycat9

that has nothing to do with it. thats not reality.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im sure if the Jets ever truly had a franchise QB, some of those coaches would last a while longer...

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

The reason why Rex should be on the hot seat is because this team has taken a huge decline, in terms of talent and coaching. A good amount of that HAS to fall on the coach. Everybody can say that the defense will be good no matter what under Rex but the offense will never even be above average. If they made the AFC Championship game last year and made it this year, it would probably mean Sanchez would be a hell of a lot better than he is now and that this team's talent was on the rise, rather than a sharp decline...

Something I've thought about: What if the allied powers lost in WWII and Hitler won?...

10. Endlessly Counting

Good Point. I think Rex & Tanny knew this. That's why they traded up for Sanchez. In the course of the last two years, that's not worked out so well.
    But you can't force the issue w/franchise QBs. I hope they don't make a Sanchez type mistake in Rd 1 this season.

11. Endlessly Counting

There's been a lot of books written about this btw.

12. ArmandJ

The reason why this team's talent is on a sharp decline is because of Tannenbaum, not Rex. Tannenbaum is the one who was gushing over guys like Schillens and the like when Plax and guys of his caliber was available.

13. actofgod22

actofgod22 Member

Agreed about Tannenbaum, he is an epic failure of a GM. Rex's one big mistake, in my opinion, was being so stuck on Sanchez. I understand he didn't have much of a choice, but I think the writing on the wall about that bum was apparent a long time ago.

14. ArmandJ

There's another article on New York Times that captures his loyalty to a T. Rex is a great coach, but he's too much of a good guy as well. He needs to be a little bit of a sociopath like Belicheck.

Or at least adopt a 'loyal to those who deserve it' attitude. And I think Sanchez did not deserve that loyalty after the Arizona game.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I feel Rex should be brought back next year. He's done a good job considering what he's had to work with.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i would love rex to stay,however if a new g.m. comes in i doubt it happens. unless they promote scott cohen which is a possiblity rex is gone.
    the question then is would you rather have a restructured front office with mostly the same characters and rex or a new g.m. from the outside and rex probably gone?

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Rex has made a huge impact on our drafting, free agency and he's a large reason why this offense is one of the worst in the league. Sparano is one of Rex's guys... and he's horrible. We wouldnt have chased Nnamdi if it wasnt for Rex, which has screwed us over with all of the guaranteeing of contracts. We constantly draft defensively in the draft and that has a huge impact on our offensive talent (which is among the worst in the league).

The talent level of this team does fall on Rex whether you want to admit it or not.

18. ArmandJ

But, Tannenbaum is the one who for the most part is drafting. If Rex is drafting on defensive talent, then you can assume that for the most part, he is doing a good job.

Tannenbaum was behind the Tebow trade. Tannenbaum is the reason why we're severely limited in terms of finding quarterback talent (due to that gross contract extension).

I'm not saying Rex doesn't have faults, but Tannenbaum's faults are setting this organization back. He needs to be held accountable before Rex.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Rex will be back as will Mr. T the QB situation is the only thing that is going to be "blown up"

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you don't know how much input rex has on the draft or f.a. signings. the sporano hiring was a fail but remember they wanted haley too. who knows what happens if they would have got them both. tanny has final say on all roster moves. that means the entire roster is on tanny and only tanny