The Greg McElroy bandwagon (ultimate under-dog)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jun 20, 2012.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Bruce, don't get me wrong. My point was McElroy working behind a team that had nothing to play for any more was possibly going to work against him and possibly not allow him to put his best foot forward, certainly NOT the idea of McElroy getting in there - quite the contrary. Just like the Cardinal game I previously mentioned (that I was at), I was amped to see McElroy getting a shot to play behind a team that still had something to play for. And I hope he gets a full-time shot come Cortlandt, 2013.

2. Bruce Harper

Bruce Harper New Member

Gotcha Joe, I was just thinking that starting opportunities are too infrequent for late round QBs that he's better off giving his best shot under less than ideal circumstances than not playing. He might not get another chance.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yeah.

4. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Excited to see McElroy play in person now, that stadium is gonna be energetic for him. I can't believe how cheap I got the tickets for.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The fans will be behind McElroy for sure. If he falls on his face, it won't be for lack of fan support.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wow, it's not always dark; there is a light side to you... :)

7. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

a player is not a underdog if he's just not that good

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He has been told since before he was drafted he would never be a starter in the NFL. He has far from the prototype build or arm strength for an NFL QB. If he makes an I pact at all and goes on to any type of success as a starting NFL QB it would supprise all the talent evaluators across the NFL. If this guy is not an under dog than no one is.

9. Big Blocker

You need to get with the optimistic program, Sanchez Fan.

There is life after Muck. Just watch.

10. Big Blocker

Ftr, on this particular subject, I was down on the Tebow trade all along while also skeptical Sanchez would improve this year.

Those two notions did not require me to also expect McElroy to suck if given teh chance. I still think the odds are likely against him, but he certainly has the opportunity to come in and get it done to at least some extent.

In short, on this one i am somewhat optimistic.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding!

12. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I just don't see this "noodle arm" thing. He's launching the ball 40 yards downfield with some good zip on a lot of these throws, and they're saying his arm is stronger? hmmm

[YOUTUBE]jQPVv4pafN8[/YOUTUBE]

13. I Am The Stig

Those fucking play actions omg.

14. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Yeah I know...:smile:

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

How did we make out with the last QB we drafted who wore #12 for Alabama?

16. I Am The Stig

I found this pretty interesting as well.

[YOUTUBE]cm94nhUpkgw[/YOUTUBE]

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Arm strenght is not about getting the ball down feild, its about the velocity on the short to intermediate throws. In the NFL DB's close so quickly a little extra zip on the ball is often the difference between at completetion and a pick.

In those vids it shows he has decent arm strength, but nothing great. He will never be confused to a Favre or Stafford type arm. Hopefully its a bit strong than Pennington after the injuries. In the little bit I did see of him in the Cards game it was about as advertised. He is a smart safe QB with a Decent arm.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Those video's show exactly why College success means nothing in the NFL. Nobody in his face he could step into every throw and his WR were wide open on every throw.

Love the fact that they actually dropped a short guy deep so he can throw over the defense. Never could understand why you short drop a short QB.

19. NyCrAzY

NyCrAzY New Member

I know his arm strength is a factor to his 7th round selection but why do the NY Jets have no hope in this guy? I really think he could be our starter next year.

But all I see on ESPN/Bleacher Report/NYPost is who we should draft, sign, or trade at QB or have Sanchez have a QB competition next year, etc. And I do not want an Alex Smith or Vick at all!!! They only look good because of their receivers. Smith is nothing more than a game manager and Vick is injury prone.

McElroy for starting QB next year!!! Bargain because he only gets paid like $475,000

20. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

Help us McEl-won Kenobi.. you're our only hope. Looking forward to him getting a shot. I guess I can see if I can find my old #14 jersey and masking tape over Richard Todd's name if this works..