Do you think Rex refused to make a qb change...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

because tebow was his backup and not mcelroy? With him going to McElroy instead of time i think its pretty clear there was no situation he would ever start tebow.

That said, that is really a pansy move. With as bad as mark has been playing and with our season on the line if mcelroy is your #2 guy then you play him. you dont wait until tebow is injured to sneak greg in.

Rex needs to go. great defensive mind, but he clearly isnt cut out to be a head coach

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

He would have been crucified by the media had he done that. I think Rex is getting tired of the circus that Sanchez's bad performance and Tebow's stalkers/media lovers bring with them.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Rex deserves a chance with a new QB/offense imo.

4. BleednGreen247

LOL at putting in greg mcelroy over a healthy tim tebow with the season still alive

some fans have lost it

5. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Rex didn't pull Sanchez because he didn't want to go to Tebow. The fact that he clearly has no faith to start Tebow even with the season on the line and Sanchez tanking with 4 INT's he still wouldn't put Tebow in.

Makes you wonder why he went into a game with the season on the line with no legitimate backup option again? It's downright irresponsible. The fact that Rex just leapfrogged Tebow confirms it.

I don't think Rex needs to go, I think what he's brought on defense is enough to keep him here. With a top 5- 10 defense we can quickly have respect back in this league. What Rex needs is a real GM and OC who can make the personnel and offensive X's and O's decisions for him.

6. Yeah..We've heard all the reasons to consider Rex's departure & aside from the theory that Tannenbaum/Rex are tied to the hip, none really make much sense.

Bottom line is, we've seen success on offense w/ Rex at the helm when the personnel was up to par..we've also come to realize that w/ Rex you are guaranteed to have a top 10 defense even in a bad year. I know Jet fans are self defeating..but why would you want to cut ties w/ that notion?

7. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Braylon was right: the people in charge are idiots.

For Tim's sake, I hope he's released.

And if he is, it means Rex-en-bum paid a 4th and a 6th for a 1-year rental of a personal punt protector.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Everyone wants Rex to stay and Tanny to be fired.

Please explain to me why a new GM would keep Rex.

99% of the time new GM = new HC.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My guess is Tebow was so inept running the O during practice Rex and Soprano couldn't possibly replace Sanchez with him without installing an completely different O in the middle of the season.

10. Great point,Pete.

However..wouldn't a new Gm have some interest in keeping around the notion of a top 10 defense year in & year out?

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think the new GM could consider it.

The problem is a new GM wants to run their club and has a vision.

Woody needs to hire a GM with ultimate control, he can't be a puppet or hired with conditions to keep Rex.

I like Rex, but our fan base must realize you can't have it both ways.

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

The stage was set for Tebow to run into the end zone with :48 left and the ball at the 25-yard line.

Instead, Rex puts his golden boy Sancho back out there for turnover #5.

13. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

I'd like to think that a GM would be open to demoting Ryan to DC if Ryan would take it or hire an OC that handles personnel and play calling.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's why I think Tannenbaum may be reassigned. Keep the same overall vision, but with a new decision-maker. Or bring in someone Rex is comfortable with.

I like Rex, but forcing him on a new GM could be a bad idea, unless it's someone that truly wants Rex here.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That is a hard pill to swallow for Rex, he probably would move on to DC a new team.

Remember, the new HC would probably hire the DC.

16. I have a funny feeling the answer may end up being Scott Cohen. He's currently the assistant GM.He was brought in a couple years ago mainly for personnel & his specialty going back to his time in Philly's organization is offensive skill. Woody is a big proponent of stability & promoting Cohen would be a similar type of move to when he promoted MT. This would allow some mobility within the handling of Rex..would not require a complete overhaul, & perhaps Cohen's eye for offensive skill becomes the big picture focal point moving forward.

Not saying this is what I would do. But it makes alot of sense given Woody's history. Perhaps MT & Bradway are shown the door & Cohen is allowed to bring in a couple of his own personnel guys.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think Tanny will be reassigned to cap guy or whatever Woody decides.

The problem with hiring a GM who likes Rex, is Woody is running the personal decisions, not the new GM.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm one for cleaning house with Tanny & Cohen, the Jets need a smart GM with extensive souting and drafting experience.

I'm on the Tom Heckert bandwagon, when he gets fired by Haslam in a few weeks.

19. I can buy that. I want someone w/ an eye for offense. Look at the Jets offensive personnel & compare it to what else is in the NFL. Jets players just appear a step slower, less explosive & much more tentative. They're still bringing in players like Big tuna's still in charge in 1998. The philosophy just seems very out dated. They need a new outlook from that perspective.

Defensively, aside from an edge rusher, the scouting has actually been very good. I wouldn't change much in that regard. Offensively though...they need a complete fire sale. Coach & front office philosophy.

20. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

Maybe. But whatever the reason, I was a big Rex guy since he got here and I just cant stand it anymore. And now I see all his faults, maybe some that even aren't fair. But how a head coach doesn't make the change weeks ago, I can't figure it out.