If Rex Has No Faith in His Backup

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dr.velociraptor, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If the last two games were at home, I really wonder what different decisions would have been made, if any.

With the season over, and Sanchez essentially putting the nails in the coffin of his Jets career this week, I would think Tebow starts this week. I have no idea who the backup would be.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Let me rephrase: The Jets hate controversy that players create. That they love controversy that creates buzz goes without saying. But when that controversy casts the organization in a bad light, the organization tends to cut ties very quickly unless contractual issues prevent such a move. Ryan's footgate and Holmes' Huddlegate would be examples of controversy tolerated by the organization. By tolerated, I mean those involved weren't immediately exiled to West Hell, Ak. Braylon's DUIgate, Plaxico's and Derrick Mason's statementgates are examples of the type of controversy that won't be tolerated. McElroy's statement didn't endear him to the organization even though it was true. McElroy's career be it as it may, doesn't stand much of a chance of improvment as long as he's with the team. As you pointed out, he's the #3 Qb even when the #2 Qb has a pair of broken ribs.

What the Jets say and what the Jets do are sometimes two different things. One doesn't create entire offensive packages for the "backup QB". Some might call that innovation but that's a discussion for another day.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What difference does it make who we play at this point. What is clear as day is our cap manager and defensive guru of a HC can't draft a QB and they are clueless on how to develop a QB and what they want the Jets O to look like.

We simply have to move on from this management group and let the next one decide what to do going forward either with guys on the roster, draft picks or guys on other teams rosters.

The idea that the Jets are a good team with either Mcelroy or Tebow is simply speculation and based on what the rest of the league thinks of both of them I would speculate that they both suck and the Jets would suck with either of them running the show.

Didn't we just do this with Clemens? Rinse repeat...

4. Cman68

Agreed with everything above Biggs. Not only won't it matter who starts over these last two meaningless games, it won't really matter what our draft position is either as the same Management that brought us this trainwreck will be back drafting next years' crop of talent unless Woody steps in.

What does matter, at least in my opinion, is how this team plays and how it's coached over these last several weeks. That will go along ways towards showing us just how Rex handles this situation. It will tell us if he really can be a good HC or simply a glorified DC in over his head. He should make it plain guys are playing for their jobs over these next two games as well.

5. akibud

akibud Active Member

...about as much as they appreciate incompetence! :shit:

6. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

And again, I submit this as further proof that our coaching staff sucks. Sparano because any decent OC should know this. Rex because as a HC, and longtime DC, he should be able to see these things as well and make adjustments. Something is just wrong here people.

7. Cman68

As it turns out, Rex made the announcement today. Its McElroy!

8. NY Dork

NY Dork New Member

Whoever starts from here on out will get his ass handed to him. The rats are leaving the ship. Feel very sorry for McElroy...very sorry.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

bc when the jets start sanchez they never plan on benching him (outside of ARI which I feel was premeditated). When Sanchez plays they like the Tebow "package".

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't feel sorry for any 7th round pick starting an NFL game. In fact, I don't feel bad for anyone who puts a jersey on.

You think McElroy gives a shit about the situation? He's the starting QB for the NY Jets this weekend.

11. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

It always seems to come back to the Jets do not know how to build a team. Whether it's their poor selections in the drafts or their bad decisions when it comes to deciding to resign players on the roster.

Take Sanchez they signed him to a big contract despite showing signs of limited growth and lack of leadership and competitiveness. The point is they compounded one mistake with another. He didn't live up to his position in the draft, instead of acknowledging that mistake and giving him a short contract or one based on performance, let him test the free agent market, trade him or let him go, they chose to double down.

They also gave themselves no real options since they never groomed a viable 2nd string QB. Since the time he has got here it has been Sanchez or bust. Reminds me the same way they stubbornly held on to Ghoston to the bitter end. Because Tanny wasn't going to own up to the bust.

Then factor in the crazy move to get Tebow making him your 2nd despite the fact you would never be willing to start him. Look I don't think Tebow is starting QB material but I would have never traded for him. I think it was unfair to Tebow to never give him an opportunity.

Bringing me to my final point of how they threw Tebow in for a series then put Sanchez back in. After which he had no confidence and played terrible. In my opinion they should of gone to McElroy for the rest of the game. He deserved it. Otherwise Tebow should have played the rest of the game.

Top to bottom this organization is clueless. So when someone asks why they did this or that. I really can't make head or tales of what they are doing.

#51 Jon_Snow, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012