IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This has been discussed ad nauseam. If there is a 3-way tie between the Jets, Pitt and Cin, most likely Pitt would get in (they hold the tie break over Cin as long as they beat Clev in the last game)

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

So what Scenario would FORCE Baltimore to play week 17. We have to keep that in mind also. The Ravens get Peyton and Eli these next 2 weeks, im going to go down the path of them losing their next 2 and falling to 9-6 which would certainly force them to play week 17. I dont want them to be 10-5 entering the last game locked into the 4th seed. If they stay dead locked with the Patriots also, then they have to play because they have the tiebreaker. Actually from every angle it seems they would be playing week 17. Its still hard to determine now, but in a week things should be more clear.

#562 soxxx, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Lon Chaney

If they lose to the Broncos and Giant the next two weeks, then week 17 could be for the division.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ok wanna hear something funny, I went on Yahoo playoff generator, I was asked how to determine all the matchup winners so I didnt have to fill every single one in, so I chose "winning%" and based off current Win % the Jets would get in.

What this means is absolutely no "upsets" have to occur, we are the favorites based win % between every matchup.

The Jets are favored in all 3 games, the Steelers are underdogs in Dallas next week, which means if they lost then they would be 7-7 and the Bengals 8-6, which means the Bengals would be "favored" to beat the Steelers week 16, and then week 17 the Ravens who have a better record than the Bengals would be "favored" to win.

What im trying to say is, we dont need a miracle or a string of upsets to happen. This isnt impossible... If Dallas pulls it off next week, then let the hype train begin for monday night because we will be very well in it.

5. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

I see Dallas beating the Steelers next week, their defense is very underrated.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah and we could also get a huge lift if Eagles win thursday night. Im not counting on it, but its in Philly, on a short week, teams have struggled thursday nights on the road and Foles played quite good today. Then it wouldnt matter what happens week 17 with the Ravens.

There is a situation if the Bengals lose to the Eagles, Steelers lose to Cowboys, then Bengals beat the Steelers, that the Jets will head into the Sunday Night game with control of their own destiny week 16. Kinda reminds me of 2009 when all the 1:00 games week 16 broke right and we headed into Indy with control of own destiny at 4:15.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

that means the Chargers/Jets sunday night game wont be flexed out.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well it wouldnt have as much meaning if the Steelers won earlier in the day.

I could see them changing the Steelers/Bengals with the Jets/Chargers. I think the Giants/Ravens play to....I honestly hope they keep it, I couldnt imagine the excitement if we headed into that game with control of own destiny.

The week 17 game against the Bills could get flexed if its "win and in" but it depends on other matchups because I doubt NBC wants that as their big game and would much rather have the Redskins/Giants or some other intriguing game.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Jets/Buffalo won't get flexed. Buffalo is most likely out by the time we play them. Won't have nearly the intrigue of the Giants/Cowboys matchup last year.

10. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

i hope we win out because i root for the laundry, but i still want the gm gone and winning out just might save his job.

11. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

Anyone else amazed at how bad some teams are?

This is the worst Jets team i remember watching in quite some time and them being alive for the playoffs blows my mind

12. Lon Chaney

I think this is wrong. Even if those things happen, the Jets wouldn't control their own destiny. The Bengals would have the tie-break over the Jets if they both finished 9-7.

1. Conference record (same; both 7-5)

2. Common Opponents (same; both 3-2: Pitt, Miami, Jax, SD)

3. Strength of Victory - Bengals. Although we can't determine for certainty, CIN will most likely have a better SOV. In your scenario they beat: NYG, Wash, Pitt, Balt, Jax, Oak, KC, SD, Clev.

NYG, Pitt and Balt would be the clinchers.

13. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

Buffalo and Miami are out. The best they can hope to get is 8-8, which will not get them into the playoffs. Back to status quo I suppose.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Good point. The SOV will be a killer. Though, if they lose to the Ravens, that point is moot.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You are correct, so change of plans. Lets cheer for Bengals Thursday night so they are right up the Ravens ass week 17 (assuming the ravens lose to either the Giants or Broncos).

If the Bengals are 9-6 and Ravens 10-5 then that game WILL be for the division. Ravens will wax the floor of them like they did week 17 last year. Bengals will fall to 9-7, Jets will become 9-7 and take last wildcard spot.

#575 soxxx, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. General Fan

General Fan New Member

There are still too many scenarios to work out. Pittsburg can only finish with 6 conference wins. If they lose to Dallas and then win out...and Cincy only loses to Pittsburg...and we win out, then we are all at 9-7 and we would own three way tiebreaker. We would be ahead on conference wins against both (7 versus 6 for Pitt and Cincy). SOV be damned. Cincy only gets to seven conference wins by beating both Pittsburg and Baltimore and that is a tall order. That's just one way we get in.

The problem is that Cincy is likely to finish 8-8 IMHO, not 9-7, and without them to create a three way tie, Pittsburg advances. But again, there are many ways to skin this cat.

17. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Yea they have no business being near the playoffs yet somehow some way have a shot. Imagine if the Ravens or Lions could've held on last week.

18. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Playoffs? Jets obviously need to win out.

Upcoming games:

Jets -- @TEN, SD, @BUF
    PIT -- @DAL, CIN, CLE
    CIN -- @PHI, @PIT, BAL

Cincy's matchup @ PHI is favorable but the Eagles looked good today, and the Cowboys are playing well atm. Jets beat the Titans and they could easily find themselves tied with CIN and PIT after next weekend.

Jets should be able to beat the Chargers at home, and I'm rooting for Cincy over PIT. Whoever wins this game needs to lose both of their other remaining games for the Jets to have a chance.

Assuming Cincy won the week before, a loss vs BAL combined with a PIT win vs CLE and a Jets win vs BAL puts the NYJ in the playoffs.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Jets win out will have 5 conference losses

Pitt already has 6 but owns head to head. Best bet would be Pitt finishing 8-8 thus eliminating them.

Cinci goes 2-1 or worse with the loss coming against the ravens.

9-7 jets get tie breaker over 9-7 bengals on conference record

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think in every scenario we need Cincy to beat Pitt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.