If you didn't think Heath Evans was an idiot before tonight ...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by truthbtold, Dec 4, 2012.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

After the Skins/Giants game the NFL Network crew was discussing which of the current rookie QB's you would pick to build your franchise around.
    Darren Sharper picked RG III. Evans picked Luck ... no problem there. But then Evans went on to say that his 2nd choice would be Ryan Tannehill ... calling him the closest thing to "the next Aaron Rodgers".

Really dude? ... Aaron Rodgers? REALLY?? Maybe you need to take a look at the numbers and explain to us how Ryan Tannehill (Ranked #31 in the NFL) is even on the same PLANET as Aaron Rodgers or RG III, ... or Russell Wilson for that matter. You can barely even make a case for Ryan Tannehill being good.

What an imbecile this guy is.

For the record, the poll results came in RG III 77%, Luck 14%, Wilson 7%, Tannehill 1%.

2. TheCOTCH

TheCOTCH Member

Heath evans is the reason I don't watch nfl network anymore

3. truthbtold

Maybe he was talking about a different Aaron Rodgers.
    Maybe the guy who makes his UPS deliveries is named Aaron Rodgers :)

#3 truthbtold, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

5. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think it is a bit silly, but Rodgers did sit for 3 full seasons. Their college numbers aren't that dissimilar, Tannehill threw more picks, but was the better athlete.
    I don't think Tannehill will get much above say.. Matt Schaub/Mat Ryan as his upside, but basing future projections on his rookie year numbers isn't a great idea, plenty of the elite QBs either struggled early in their careers or didn't even get to play.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

People have been insanely overrating Tannehill all over the media

Most guys like him don't watch the games and then spout off like they are experts. They put guys on TV who played football and now watch sportscenter just like we do and think they can break down football better than a fan

7. Cellar-door

I entirely disagree with this.
    Most NFL analysts are much better at breaking down the game than a fan, and they make judgements based on more than just results. If you think people are "overrating" Tannehill all over the media maybe you are underrating his future capabilities.

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I generalized a little too much in my post because there are some good analysts that played the game but they are few and far between.

My point was basically that the majority of these guys are not watching coaches film of every game, every week and yet they make these proclamations about players being "the best" or "one of the best..." and it is dishonest because they aren't watching every team play.

These guys say things on a daily basis that a true fan of a team who has watched every game knows are not accurate.

I've watched every Dolphins game this year and I know that Tannehill is getting a lot more praise than he deserves by some of these analysts. They praised the shit out of him after the Colts game because his box score statistics looked good. Unfortunately for them if you watched that game you would know that it was a very winnable game against an average defense and he didn't do anything given multiple chances to tie it up or take the lead at the end.

9. truthbtold

My good friend is a Dolphins fan. I've seen almost every game Tannehill has played this year. You'd have to have rocks in your head to pick him over RG III.

Evans said Tannehill would be his 2nd choice. If you polled every GM in the league and told them to choose 2 out of the 4, how many do you think are going to leave out RG III? I'll go out on a limb here and say ZERO.

10. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Heath Evans says that Mark Sanchez should back up Tom Brady next year.:breakdance:

11. Cellar-door

Probably true.

If there is one concern about RG3 though it is that he's going to be Daunte Culpepper 2.0, take too many huge hits on runs, get hurt and without that top end speed be just another guy. He's a better pocket passer than Daunte, but I don't think he's to elite without the run threat.

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lol sorry I've tried to be nice (even though i'm a Phins fan criticizing tannehill) but who the fuck has been comparing RG3 to Culpepper of all people?

Culpepper never had top end speed

I have never heard that.

It sounds like you are just pulling shit out of your ass now...

13. Cellar-door

No the culpepper comparison wasn't about their relative abilities,it was an example of what can happen with running QBs who take a ton of hits. Thatis why some GMs are still very wary of running QBs, one injury and all of the sudden he's just another guy. Pocket Qbs usually come most or all the way back from an injury like that, dual threat guys are never the same. That was where the comparison came in. I guess I could have said Vick, except VIck always tried to get down or out of bounds.

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Lmao. Culpepper or Vick huh. Maybe some Cam Newton or Jamarcus Russell thrown in there too? Maybe some Vince Young?

I did not realize the reason Culpepper sucked late in his career was due to hits. I was under the impression it was due to the fact he didn't have Randy Moss anymore.

Anyways all of this is beside the point. Tannehill is a dual threat as well. At the very least he is as mobile if not more than Daunte Culpepper. Even so, he has not been half the passer the RG3 has been.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He was probably referring to Aaron Rodgers in his first three years with the Pack, not after.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Some of the NFL analysts are, but a large portion are just jackoff beat writers that only react to results and don't actually study the game or even watch it more than once. The espn guys are prime examples of people that know less than the fans. Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless are terrible. Listening to ESPN radio makes my head spin sometimes, the amount of nonsense they talk about on there. It's all just drama queen stuff. And don't get me started on the Fox announcers or NFL network announcers. They are god awful. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman make me want to jump off a bridge and the other guys sound like Alzheimer patients. Last game one of them called the Jets, the Giants last week, and got pretty much every replay review wrong even the obvious ones. The NFLN guys are just as bad.

#16 Barcs, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lol gruden kept saying "hypnoski" on Monday Night Football for everybody to see

18. Cellar-door

It was because he shredded his knee, and busted his shoulder.
    As to passing, he really was at least as good: his 2004 season was one of the best Qb seasons of all time.
    His first year as the starter 2000 he was 4th in the league in rating, Griffin is 3rd, Culpepper was 1st in passing TDs, Griffin is 14th, Culpepper was 4th in passing, yards, Griffin is 19th. Culpepper was 3rd in YPA, Griffin is 2nd, Culpepper was 4th in completion percentage Griffin is 5th.
    So no, actually Culpepper was at least as good a passer as RG3.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I said that Tannehill has not been half the passer RG3 has been.

20. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

RG3 has been lights out this rookie year, no doubt. But, just in highlights, I've seen him take more monster hits than Brady/manning have taken in a career. Maybe newtons gargantuan body will be able to withstand those hits, but Griffins won't.

As far as tannehill, he has shown so great qualities but still has encountered growing pains. I believe a significant contributor to that is Miamis lack of receiving threats. I know that's the same thing the sanchize crew tosses around here, but tannehill has shown some highly exceptional skills/made throws this year that mark could only dream to make.