IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Of course everything you say is on the money, and I don't expect us to be able to win five straight either, but consider this:
    2 weeks from now, the standings could very well look like this with 3 games to go:

Colts (@Detroit loss/ Tenn win) 8-5 … Number 5 seed

Jets (Arizona win/@ Jville win) 6-7

Pitt (@Balt loss/ SD win) 7-6

Cincy (@SD/ Dallas – split?) 7-6

Fish (NE loss/ @SF loss) 5-8 Eliminated

Our last 3 games are against Tenn, SD and Buffalo, and a Jet victory in each game would give each of them loss #8 and mathematically eliminate them (if they're not already eliminted by the time we play them).

So … Just give me a paltry 2-game winning steak to get to 6-7 and at least we'll have a fun week of buildup for the Monday night game in Tennessee. Come on Jets! ... Is THAT too much to ask for??

#161 truthbtold, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. MontrealAlouettes

What a great opportunity to draft lower.

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Do the names Robertson, Gholston and Sanchez ring a bell? With this organizaton's track record, we might be better off NOT getting a Top 10 pick.

4. JAG

JAG New Member

No no this is so "Jetlike"! win 4 or 5 of the remaining games maybe make the playoffs if you do get your fuckin doors blown off by a real tean and the be in the second half of the first round come draft day...love this!!!

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Teams get hot at the right time. It happened with both recent Giants superbowl wins. They weren't dominating teams during the season at all. It could happen. This isn't basketball where we would have to win a 7 game series. It's one game and any given Sunday applies. We almost beat the Texans and Patriots the first game. We're literally a few plays from being 6-5, rather than 4-7. If we lose to the Cards I'll put my green tinted glasses away and call it a season but for now anything can still happen.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets right now are about as far from hot as any team in the league. Have you looked at the points differentials? Things like Sanchez looking clueless in running into Moore and fumbling?

The Jets hurt themselves all the time. No reason to expect that to stop going on anytime soon, and certainly not over a five game span.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Such a depressing season. It really is pathetic.

Nevermind their losing record, the 2012 Jets don't even have anything likable about them... They aren't fun at all to watch, they are tough to root for with all their shit-talking and no results/consistency, the stupid mistakes that beat themselves and they aren't even CLOSE to being contenders.

I would seriously trade situations with the Cleveland Browns (3-8) today, no questions asked. The Cleveland Fucking Browns, that's how sad this is. They suck, but at least they are actually rebuilding, have hung tough all year with the better competition (instead of crumbling), and have a budding superstar in Richardson to root for.

I'm not clinging to hope that the Jets will take advantage of a weak schedule down the stretch and miraculously win out and get the help needed to sneak in the playoffs. That's so far fetched and frankly pretty pathetic that its come to this.

#167 BrowningNagle, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hopefully the Jets get hot down the stretch starting with beating AZ. If they actually run the table it will be hilarious just watching the darksiders sad responses. The fact that there are Jets "fans" who are rooting for the team to lose to the Cards is pathetic and sad.

9. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Nothing suggests this team will do anything to turn it on and go on a winning streak. Let alone go .500 down the stretch of the season. They haven't even shown promise. Getting crushed one week is one thing, but looking bad throughout the entire season aside from little glimpses, more than halfway through the seasons tells you all you need to know about the team.

10. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Its a 5 game season. If the Jets can get their act together they can beat the Cards. From there they have winnable games at the Jags and at the Titans. They could well be 7-7 heading into the Chargers at home at that point the Chargers will probably be 5-9 and done. If they get by the Chargers they could be 8-7 heading into ralph wilson to face the bills a team the jets match up pretty well with.

The schedule is favorable to running the table. Of course this team has to improve week to week, get some lucky breaks and obviously be much more consistent. Its a tall order, but its doable. I'm not sure that 9-7 gets them a playoff spot, but it sure as heck would be fun if this team can go on a run and make things interesting. First up - Beat the Cardinals.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Records updated in title :beer:

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Great post, and it could deserve it's own thread. You are right - what is there to root for other than what is left of the concept of the Jets as the team we have been rooting for, for however long it's been for each of us? Presumably they are not making many new fans right now, so I do think it's that history, for each of us, that has us still being fans at this point.

But when you look at the team, who is there to really root for? I've been a fan of Mangold and Revis, and lately more Cromartie than before. I stick up for Holmes, who gets over the top criticism, but that does not make me a big supporter of him. I see some promise in some of the younger players, like Kerley and lately Wilkerson. But guys like Pace and Scott, who I used to admire, now look like guys with their days numbered who are overpaid under too generous contracts executed during what is only left as a fading memory of a distant time. Some here are high on Landry, but he seems to problematic, with too many mistakes, to really draw inspiration from.

Meanwhile with Holmes out, and other than the promise of Kerley, who is there to really look to in the skill players on O? This is the most motley group of that sort I can remember, and I find myself reduced to wondering how well McElroy might do, or that if they use Rueland more, maybe he can do something. Pathetic. I don't even want to talk about Tebow and Sanchez. I am sick of them.

We've complained about lack of depth for a few years now, but right now roughly half the starters could be out of the league in the next two years, and probably will be. That's how bad it has gotten.

And the coaches? The owner? The FO? Get out of here.

The Jets to be clear have a better record than either of the Kotite years. But there in fact were players then on the team who with a few additions Parcells was able to take and make a winning team rather quickly. I just don't see it with this roster. Too many contract issues.

What do you do about Revis's contract in this situation? That's just one of the, if not perhaps the most, unpleasant things to think about going forward.

Yeah, it's a train wreck.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I love how people say these are easy games coming up. Have you watch the games? Nothing about this teams suggests that the remaining games will be easy.

Are the Jets that much better than SD or Tenn or even AZ?

The Jets are 2-4 at home with 3 of those losses being blowouts (21, 30, 34 points). I would be shocked to see this team even go 3-2 down the stretch.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Getting a top 10 pick reduces the chances the Jets will spend a huge amount of value moving up into the top 10 to take a bad QB.

If we'd had a top 10 pick in 2009 we probably just stand pat and take Sanchez with the pick. That would have given us another 2nd round pick and kept 3 depth players around for another year, reducing the need to go out and sign Leonhard, Scott and company.

15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

We'll beat Arizona and head to Jacksonville for good ol' fashion Chad Henne beat down, his norm against the Jets.

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Just try to be a little more positive. Beat Arizona and get a little momentum. Beat Jacksonville, and we're right back in it. Beat Tennessee and we're .500 again.

From there, we can beat the Norv Turner Chargers to go 8-8. Finally, just escape Buffalo with a win, and we're 9-7. That SHOULD be good enough to get to the playoffs. If not, the Steelers loss would have been the biggest reason why we're not in.

17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I don't want to win. What is the point of a 5-0 finish to sneak into the playoffs and get clobbered by New England or Denver?

Just lose, baby.

Draft positioning and changes > 9-7 and a Wild Card exit.

(This is all moot because this team is not capable of a 5-0 run)

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I rather win out than get a top 10 pick, So far we haven't lost to a losing team yet the Dolphins were at 500 when they beat us

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I think we can make that 5-0 run in spite of Sanchez. Believe it or not, we're still in it in the AFC. Why think about losing? It's not like we're dead last, in which case I'd agree. Add to the fact that we really aren't on the bad end of a tiebreaker to anyone besides the Steelers, and we can still do something.

Until we cannot possibly make the playoffs, I do not have a loser mentality of playing for draft picks.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

2009 was the same way. Remember Sanchez throwing 5 picks in one game... TWICE? He made all kinds of mistakes in his rookie year, much moreso than this year. The 4-6, 2009 Jets were about as far from hot as any team as well at that time. But they got hot and made the playoffs. Again, it's not about the past, it's about getting hot at the right time and clicking on offense. They have to squeeze out 5 in a row. Unlikely, yes, but certainly possible. Anything you can say about our team today can apply to the 2009 team (besides the talent distribution) and we don't have a single difficult game left on the schedule. It's there for the taking, but will they step to the plate? We'll see.

#180 Barcs, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.