CAP and Trade issues

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe we have some guru's on here who understand CAP and such. I know contract details aren't fully known to the public.

There are some good sites like NYJETSCAP.com that tell what a player is making, his rough salary cap, the rough cap savings if cut as well as dead money if cut. But it doesn't, and no site I'm aware of, provides information regarding cap hits due to trades.

For example, I know heading in to the 2012 season if the team had cut Bart Scott they would have had around 7.5 million in dead money (the site is down right now so I can't double check numbers) but if they had traded scott the dead money only would have been around 2 million (this was explained on an article on his board).

Does anyone understand them well enough to provide rough numbers, since we're tight on cap space for 2013, what effects, positive or negative, would come from trading certain players as opposed to cutting them?

I'm sure it would educate those who say cut so and so (Sanchez)
    or trade so and so (Cromartie et al)...including myself. lol

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

We may have 1 or 2 tradeable players Mangold & Cro Revis may be a 3rd after he proves he is back to Revis after his knee injury. After that & U have to face that fact that at this moment we have no other player on our team that a another team will want :sad:

3. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

Jason LaCanfora of CBS pregame, just reported that the jets will be $20 million over the cap next year. SANCHEZ is guaranteed 8.25 next year, no offset language, meaning he can double dip if traded away or cut and signed. And if released, the jets have 30 days to pay him the money, not spread out over several years.

What an awful fuckin contract!!!!

4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If this fuckin bum is the starting QB next year we might as well wear bags on our heads at the games....

5. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

As far as I know it varies based on the language of the contract. However usually what happens is that the team receiving the player pays his base salary, but the bonuses accelerate and hit the team that trades him for the year of the deal.

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I don't see why the contract doesn't go with him if he's traded. They should try to trade him.

Trade him for nothing -- the team getting him is doing a favor by taking over that contract.

And negotiate how much of the contract the Jets will subsidize.

7. _Jet_

_Jet_ Member

Whoever structured Sanchez's contract needs to fired ASAP.

8. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

I think its means if traded, jets have to pay, and the team who acquired him has to pay. Sounds like a no trade contract. His value is so low. Who would want this bum??

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we already knew this and accepted that he will be on the roster next year.whether he starts is another story.2014 is likely the season of a new qb

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

So we need new players and yet we won't have any money for them. Same old shitty players for next year ? At least things are looking up ha ha.

11. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Yes, we know about San"bum". I didn't think the jets were so much over the cap next year.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it's really not that bad.there are a few players getting cut that will take care of that. jason smith is due 12 mil if he is on the roster next year. obviously that won't happen. pace is gone that frees up a few. scott frees up 4.5 i think.

thats just 3 players and almost below. don't listen to media too much. they are piling on now that the jets are done.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

There has been several threads around here about how easy it will be to get us 18 mill under the cap next year. A tiny little bit of reading will get you much better informed than listening to any of the pre game talking heads.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

i'm sure the jets could get under the cap by getting rid of a few players and letting some walk.

scott
    pace
    thomas
    moore
    e.smith
    j.smith

will all be gone so that should free up some space

15. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think LaCanfora's point is that they have to cut guys to get under the cap and so as noted in the cap threads here the team is unlikely to get significantly better this offseason. They can get under the cap obviously but they will only have about 20M to fill a lot of holes. There won't be any major FA signings, it will all be fringe guys.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I hate to be right - I have said the past few years, Jets are looking at spike years ahead. Looks like Jets are gingerly headed in that direction.

Damn, it sucks to be right.

17. Professor Frink

The only time there is a difference in cap implications between cutting and trading a player is when their salary is guaranteed. That was the situation with Scott, he took a pay cut for 2011 to have his 2012 salary guaranteed. The only players that have their 2013 salaries guaranteed are Sanchez and Holmes (Coples and Wilkerson also have some guaranteed money, but they aren't getting traded.)

Players who can't be cut:
    Sanchez
    Holmes
    Harris

Players who can't be cut or traded:
    Revis
    Mangold
    Brick

Cromartie is the one guy I can't find the necessary info, but here's what I know. When he signed his deal he got $14M guaranteed, including a $5M signing bonus. Over the first two years he's made $13M, so if they wanted to cut him they would still have to pay him a million bucks, and have another $2.5M in dead money on the cap. If they traded him they would only have to account for the $2.5M. However, he's due a $2.3M roster bonus at some point over the offseason, but I don't know when. If they wanted to trade him before that bonus was due they could, but if it was due in February (or any time before the new league year starts) then I would put him on the cant be cut or traded list.

But other then the listed players, everyone is fair game.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, but we are not losing much of value to get about 20 mill under the cap (with the rollover included). A lot depends on if we can draft immediate replacements or not.

Big FA signings do not always mean a better team. The last two offseason winners, the eagles and bills, have been regular season jokes. Finding the right parts is more important than buying the most expensive ones.

19. NewYorkEveryThing

Even if we have to take a hit. They stink. All of them. And you forgot to add
    Greene
    Mcknight
    Moore should retire
    Bell
    devito and pouha just take time away from our new 3 young D linemen.Cut them!
    Try and trade cro or revis,We don't need both them because most teams do not have 2 number 1 WR's.
    Sign player's in the offseason that can play. BJE is killin it for over 100 yards already in the 3rd,Actually sign Bill Belichek castoff's. They gotta be better then what we have. As a GM you have to develop relationships with other teams. This offseason offer to teams that any player can be had at a discount. Then maybe teams might throw you a bone. Rex has to get into a Coughlin mode and be tough on everyone or he has to go. This team needs a makeover in the worst way.

20. NewYorkEveryThing

We need a guy like donnie walsh to come in and clean house. Like he did the knicks. Andy reid as a GM sounds good. He makes players that are ok look good.