Before you create a new thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 28, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think a lot of us need to change our thought process before creating a new thread.

1) No, you probably don't need to create a new thread.

2) Are you starting this thread because you want everyone to read your comment? That's not a good reason to start a new thread. Your comment likely could be posted in an existing thread where your ideas have already been discussed.

3) Is there already a similar thread you could post your comment in? Probably. Take a look, post it in there.

4) Are you starting a thread with a one sentence thought? The overwhelming majority of the time that's not going to be something worthy of a new thread. Either take some time and think it out further or just post your comment in another thread. If no other thread exists, try and come up with something more comprehensive than one or two sentences for your new thread.

You only really need to create a new thread when your posting an entirely new subject. A lot of people post on here. It's unlikely that you have a completely original thought that requires a new thread. If you do, please take time to think it out and create a quality first post in your thread. If it truly deserves a new thread, it's probably worthwhile to put some time in and create a quality thread.

Another good reason to create a new thread is to paste an article. If you do that, please be sure to post a link to the article and the content of the article.

If you create a sloppy thread without thinking it through it will probably end up merged or deleted. Don't waste your own or our time. Think before you create a new thread.

2. DanR

DanR Active Member

Good point. I'll keep this in mind as well.

3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I just changed the post count requirements needed to be able to start a new thread in certain forums:

New York Jets - increased from 50 to 150 (one now needs at least 150 posts to be able to start a new thread in the NY Jets forum).

Draft - increased from 50 to 150

NFL - increased from 0 to 50

NCAA - increased from 0 to 50

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I 100% understand the need to keep things neat and organized around here and avoid redundancy. At this same time, a lot of these 10+ page threads on a certain topic become derailed, cluttered, turn into back and forth arguments or pissing contests.

Placing a well thought out post on page 11 of a thread like this seems like a bit of waste, especially when its pointing out a slightly different view point, sample,stat, etc. as it is easily lost in the shuffle and response or discussion branching off of it is rather unlikely.

whats worse, once these threads are all merged, responses seem extremely random, further cluttering an already long derailed thread.

Hope i dont get banned, just giving an opinion.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Their is no easy answer. We really don't need 12 different threads discussing why Sanchez sucks because 12 people REALLY wanted their point of view heard.

Of course merging threads causes some other issues, but if you don't create an unnecessary new thread it won't need to be merged.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its also pointless to create a thread in the main forum about a game during the game.

7. maljan_ftballfan

maljan_ftballfan New Member

Yes, this will definitely help keep things streamlined and organized. Thanks for the update!

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It's a tough line to toe.

The rule of thumb is this IMO. Start a thread when...

1. There is breaking news that nobody else has heard about
    2. There is a very interesting article about a discussion point that isn't being talked about that much
    3. You have a new line of thought or want to talk about something that isn't being discussed anywhere else.
    4. You have SUCH a good idea for a post, you've thought it out for a while, and you have a great discussion point or a new way of thinking about a current discussion point that you think it deserves a new thread.

This isn't a be-all, end-all for everything, but most of the time, what you're thinking about it already being discussed in another thread, and then we end up getting 12 threads discussing one thing on the main page.

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

This is all excellent. Thread proliferation is my pet peeve -- I think the "Twitter mentality" has taken over, and people basically have a thought they want to see go across the wire.

Much prefer a bunch of big threads where people are essentially keeping up with the whole thread, and people will see your "tweet" in that thread.

10. gtchad

gtchad New Member

Its one thing to post several threads, but a lot of posts cover different information on a topic. I want to be able to scroll through the different threads to find a topic, not a 126 page thread that you end up only reading the last few pages. No thread should have more than 10 pages. I posted a thread two weeks ago about sanchez's contract including a tweet from manish about details and why he would be around next year. That was moved into the sanchez sucks thread, which totally didn't apply. Now my post is lost in the 126 pages. Again this was over TWO WEEKS AGO and the thread is still going. Let people start threads and if they are exactly the same then merge them. There were several posts over the last few weeks that I wanted to read, instead they were merged into the "Sanchez sucks" death thread and died. The information is lost because I am not scrolling through 126 pages.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You need to read the 1st post of this thread and understand LTJF's POV.

TGG is not TWITTER and we aren't going to allow everyone's POV in a separate thread, on basiclly the same topic, when it can be combined with a thread already started.

If everyone had an attitude like yours and believes their post is the most important and have "look at me" attitude, we would have 1000 dumb shit threads about the same thing.

You've been a memeber for TGG for 6 years and have 75 posts??? You want me to take your POV seriously, establish more credibility if you care about what you post. Oh that's right, you don't have enough posts to start a thread.

I suggest you open a Twitter Acct and get a following.

BTW, you can hit enter once in a while.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Very good point!!

13. gtchad

gtchad New Member

So do I have a look at me attitude,

or do I need to post more?

I like to read others perspectives,

that is why I like more threads.

You can't possibly tell me a 2500+ post thread is all about the same thing.

You didn't really address any of my issues, you just tried to rip me a new one.

Which you did a poor job of.

I hope this is enough spaces for you.

Even though this is not how anything in the world is written.

Maybe I will try bullet points next time.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Perception is reality, too bad you don't get it.

I ask you again, reread this thread from the beginning.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Given the current environment that thread was guaranteed to turn into a Sanchez sucks part 2 thread. There's no way around it.

Like I said before, there's no easy answer. We can't have 12 threads on the same topic. Merging threads into one giant one has issues of it's own but we find it better to err on the side of too much in one thread. If you prefer reading 12 different threads about the same topic perhaps this isn't the right forum for you?

We can't get them all right, but we try our best to keep this place organized and readable.

16. The_W

The_W Banned

Just noticed this.

I'm just curious, what will this change or help? A retard is still a retard, 50 or a 150 posts later.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Good question?...there is no perfect solution.

You're right, if someone is a moron, it isn't going to help. It's up the the Mods to monitor thread creation. Also, by the time a poster has 150 posts the Mods have a history of a specific member.

What TGG is trying to do is remove the unnecessary threads and quite a few of these threads are from new posters who don't understand the culture and treat this forum like twitter.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

UPDATE:

Just a remeinder to all....please read 1st post.

Thanks!!

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Could you guys PLEASE stop making Mike Vick threads?