Jets Work Out Former QB Kevin O'Connell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Why do people keep saying this?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jags are 1-4 and under new ownership. Maybe they've decided to take a flyer on Tebow at this point. Gabbert was the last regime's QB, everything has changed since then.

It's pretty clear that Rex and Sparano are approaching playing Tebow very gingerly, adopting a low use policy and making sure no waves get created. Maybe they've gotten together with Tannenbaum and Woody on this and decided to move on and get something back from a desperate team?

3. Clifton59

Clifton59 Banned

I agree with all this

4. Br4d

This is not happening. No way the Jets let a QB go the week before the Pats game. If anybody has info on the Tebow wrinkle it would be another QB. The Pats would claim McElroy and pay him for a week just to find out what he knows.

5. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

I'll watch Honey BOO BOO for the rest of the season if we get MJD! Tanny...make it happen!

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It's all speculation, barely worth talking about. But with that caveat, I'll engage in some speculation

It's not about trading Tebow. It's about cutting McElroy. O'Connell is being looked at as the #3, because he is more similar to Tebow, and could back up Tebow. They are considering a future where Tebow is the starter, and a backup would run the plays designed more for a Tebow-centric game plan.

Yes, that implies that they are considering life without Sanchez starting. So it's highly speculative. It could just be that McElroy is considered to not have a future, and they may as well bring in a big, physically talented quarterback for the #3 instead of wasting time with McElroy. I know that sounds harsh to McElroy, and I'm not saying I've conclude that -- it's just speculation.

But I don't think at all that this workout involves any scenario where Tebow is not on the roster.

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

But the deadline is when? After the Pats game, right?

8. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I second that, Make it happen!

Yeah, it's a pipe dream but even Jet fans can dream right?

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Because people in Florida love Tebow, they don't give a shit about the Jaguars, and Blaine Gabbert is horrible.

10. Br4d

That's a reasonable scenario. There's still no way the Jets are cutting McElroy before the Patriots game.

Obviously if the Jets change the game plan to be more run-option they'd need different QB's other than Tebow.

The only real problem with the scenario is the money Sanchez is guaranteed in 2013 and 2014. Not sure how the Jets would work around that with their other cap issues, especially if Tebow hits the escalators in his contract.

#30 Br4d, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I agree it might have more to do with cutting McElroy but the Sanchez stuff is a bit far fetched. I highly doubt we trade Sanchez and if we do what are we going to get in exchange? And in order to do what: promote Tebow to starter? Is that really such a great idea. I know the Tebots think so but does Rex and Tanny? I don't think they are as blind in their Tebow love. Maybe Woody is and I fucking hope he isn't behind something like this if this does go down. That would not only suck for the on field play of the team but we'd be the laughingstock of the league...even moreso then we already are.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Ya'll realize we got him from the Pats, right? You really think he'll be around next week? We're not trading Tebow. Would more people pay to see him or MJD? Fans have proven they don't care about the product on the field. Just the pieces. How many people talk about fans not being there at KO or leaving early? TEBOW sells, MJD wins. Which one, in their current state, do you think the JETS care about more?

13. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Mike Mularkey asking Blaine Gabbert to run more

By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Oct. 17, 2012 at 02:35 p.m.
    Updated: Oct. 17, 2012 at 02:56 p.m.

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey is convinced Blaine Gabbert is making strides, but he is still a work in progress.
    Harrison: Week 7 Power Rankings
    After a wild Week 6, change abounds in the league hierarchy. Elliot Harrison has new teams at the top and bottom. More ...

Mularkey told reporters Tuesday he'd like to see the quarterback use his athletic ability to extend plays on the ground.

"I'd like him to run it more if he sees some place there to run," Mularkey told The Florida Times-Union. "He has seen it hurt us especially on third down. It's really hurt us. The quarterbacks getting out of the pocket. He still has a ways to go. We know that but I like the direction we're going with him."

Gabbert has rushed for just 42 yards on 13 carries during the team's 1-4 start. It's interesting that we don't see Gabbert run more, because even Mularkey agrees he's still feeling the rush too soon.

Gabbert showed progress in August, but more recent game film hints his bad habits are bubbling up again. Some of the jittery feet in the pocket, safe throws and questionable decision making are sprinkled in with his improved overall play. Mularkey believes his quarterback is growing. Knowing when to take off on the ground is part of that journey.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Maybe Tebow can help them out!

14. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Tebow will not sell anymore than he already has.....so now it is time to WIN an since we are all tied in AFCE and can get a wild card this year I say go for and make moves or suck it up and get a top 5 pick and trade it away and start rebuilding process.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Winning sells seats, especially playoff games. Far more than any individual player would and for a longer period of time. How many kids in the NY/NJ area are going to be Giants fans over Jets fans? Probably a large percentage of them because people (especially younger people) are attracted to winners.

You get new fans, bandwagon fans and old fans who are jaded and haven't spent a dime on the team in years all throwing their money at you when you win. And not just for one year, for years to come. Typically season ticket sales go up, more companies will rent luxury suites, sponsorship will go up, etc.

Hell, even last year there were a bunch of commercials with Sanchez and the whole team was in a Pepsi one because they were coming off of back to back AFC Championships...this year all I see is Giants and Packers stuff: the Campbell soup ad, the baseball cap ad, Sunday Ticket ad (which has Eli in some and Peyton in others). Rodgers is in ads for just about everything. Peyton as well because people are just excited he's back. But, anyway, point stands: Winning brings in more people, brings in more money and for guys who are right like Woody and co. it's bragging rights they can hold over the other rich guys when they meet up.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's far more likely Jerry Jones trades Romo for Tebow straight up...

17. NFL

NFL Active Member

MJD is not what we need. He's a good player, but think about the contract that he'll be asking for. We need to draft a RB in an early round and go with him.

18. catsigater

catsigater New Member

The statement I questioned was from a Jets fan, who said, "The Jags love Tebow."

The Jags don't love Tebow. Their fan base certainly has a lot of folks who love Tebow, but the Jags as an organization don't love Tebow.

The owner wanted him, but unless something's changed, the coaches and front office have made it pretty clear they don't want him.

19. iloveradiohead

iloveradiohead New Member

That's not always the case. Ask any Noles or Dawg fans in FL. There are Jag fans who would rather have empty seats and a losing team and win with Tebow.

20. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying selling tickets is more important. I want wins. We(most of us)want wins but does Woody? That was my point. Does Tebow being here scream wins to any of you? Not just a win but WinS? And haven't WE,as fans, known RB was an issue? How could the BRAINTRUST not know? They knew. They got us Tebow. We needed a RB. Still think ones coming?