How do we beat the Patriots?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BJXX, Oct 14, 2012.

1. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I was just trying to take off my Patriots sun-glasses and give what I thought was an objective evaluation. Can you do the same?

The Seattle D is better then the Bill, Indy's and the Jets... It's 2012, not 2010 so I guess we'll know next Monday who can put up more points on the other's D.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I would love to see Landry destroy Gronk. This game is why we brought in Bell and Landry. Also, unleash Coples!

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

We need to play out of our minds against the Patriots. Take the Houston and Colts game, then double it.

One thing that the Giants did was that they passed the ball. A lot. Sanchez needs to step up and air that ball out.

We need to make it a 2 possession game with 2 minutes to go in the fourth. Anything less than that, and Brady will drive down the field at his leisure for a field goal/td.

We cannot let them go into the no huddle offense. If we do, the game is over.

4. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I think the big challenge for the Jets will be how well the D handles the run because there's no question the Pats will run if the Jets concentrate on defending the pass. Seattle did that very well and the Pats threw like 9000 times as a result (and that's when collapsing the pocket on Brady will be needed.)

I don't know if the Jets will be able to run well against the Pats. If Hightower comes back, I'd say no, but there's no question Sanchez needs to throw, either using the play-action to Hill and Keller or even with longer throws. I don't think dinky pass action will work as well. They'll challenge Sanchez to throw longer and unfortutunatly if he's at all accurate they could have some good success with it..

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The pass rush was better against the Colts but it will have to step it up another notch and put way more pressure on Brady and hopefully get a few sacks. The Oline will have to do what the did against the Colts against the Pats, which is no easy feat IMO. If they can do that and if the running game can be reasonably good, not against the Colts good but better than the 2.5ypc or whatever we had going into that game that will open up the play action and we'll see what happens there.

Play calling is going to be big...I just hope they don't go in for too many gadget plays. A few are needed and Tebow factors in as well, I just hope they don't try to win through weird trick plays.

Stick to the basics: strong run game, play action and sprinkle in the odd gadget/wildcat play. Big safeties on the TEs and hit them hard and often and hopefully wear them down.

That being said I do think we lose this game. It is winnable but a lot will have to go right for us or a lot wrong for the Pats.

6. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Get Mcknight the rock weather it be out of the back field or in the pass game. hes our home run hitter.

7. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I think the old "long sustained drives to keep Brady off the field" strategy would backfire on the Jets in this case.

The Patriots are excellent at stopping the run. One of the few positives from yesterday was that they held Lynch in check and made Seattle beat them through the air. That was clearly the game-plan on defense. Russell Wilson played unexpectedly well... best game of his very young career, clearly.

The same thing will happen next weekend. The Patriots will not let the Jets beat them on the ground. And quite honestly, I'm not sure the Jets could, even on their best day like yesterday. Indy is horrible against the run.

So it's going to all come down to Sanchez, I think. He will need to make some big plays, and to stay mistake-free. If he turns the ball over via fumble or INT more than once, the Jets will not win. He doesn't have to carry the entire offense, he just needs to make a handful of plays at key points in the game, and the Jets have a very good shot.

On the flipside, I expect the Patriots to go back to running the ball as much as possible. Seattle did a nice job of stopping Ridley and the NE running game. But, all due respect, the Jets' defense is not on par with the Seahawks' defense right now.

So I think it all comes down to Sanchez. The Patriots will put the game in his hands and take their chances. Their secondary is just God awful right now so this could be an interesting game.

8. BJXX

BJXX New Member

I'm liking this argument the more I hear it. Of course, the O line and receivers will have to get it done. The game is becoming more and more interesting from a fan's perspective. I just don't want to go in their full of confidence and then fall apart.

That brings up another "key" to victory: as an underdog, keep the game close. Don't let it get away early, or it's academic.

9. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I don't know if you watched the whole Pats-Hawks game yesterday but that's exactly what Seattle did (good point there by you). They "hung around" and refused to let NE put the game away when Brady and the offense had chances. So you're absolutely right on that one.

Also worth noting that in all three of their losses this season, the Patriots have choked away last 4th quarter leads. Stay close to them if you can and odds are in your favor that you'll at least have a shot.

Russell Wilson didn't have a dominating performance yesterday, despite the stat line. He started off hot, but was ineffective from midway through the 1st to the 4th quarter. That's all Sanchez needs to do... make some plays at key moments in the game. He doesn't have to throw for 400 yards and three TDs.

If I'm an offensive coordinator playing NE this weekend, I also make sure that I take at least three or four shots deep. The Patriots have proven incapable of stopping it. You'll either connect on at least one bomb or you'll get a PI call on one of NE's defensive backs. This secondary is pretty atrocious right now. Seriously bad.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah this is the chance. The Patriots run defense has been good so far and I doubt the Jets will be able to run well against them with all the backs banged up, even assuming they'd have done so healthy.

So that makes the Jets chances come down to a tight game that can be won late. To do that they'll probably need a defensive or special teams score in there somewhere and they'll have to make Brady miserable all day long. And stop the Pats run game.

The 2010 playoff game means nothing as a comparison right now because no Braylon, no Holmes and Keller is still hurting. Oh, and no Cotchery to catch and run for 58 yards late and no LT as an outlet.

I give the Jets maybe a 25% chance to get close to a win here and that's less than a random team going into New England would have at this point. Bad offense and bad run defense will do that to a team.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well the jet running game is below average despite the yards yesterday. injuries to powell and mcknight deplete the crew even more.....

that being said, its gonna come down to throwing the ball and scoring points. with a little trickery in there as well.

i was surprised at the texans game and the jets ability to keep it close and quite frankly should have won if the QB would've made more plays. i dont think the pats can be had in foxboro. dont think it'll be a 45-3 bomb but i see a workman-like game by the pats.

31-14 pats

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Patriots are VERY beatable. Keys to me would be:

1. Aggressive offense, not conservative. The Jets D is good, but NE will score.
    2. Let Sanchez loose. You win or die these games by your QB. Let him make plays.
    3. Score first.

Jets can pull this off. It will be tough though for sure.

13. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

Make John Cena honorary captain again...give Brady and belibitch the STFU

14. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Swatt some passes down Wilk and Coples

15. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

lol how u gonna feel after all this "objective evaluation" that ur team just get steamrolled?

this type of armchair analysis is completely silly, intuition and feel is what i rely on and if u check my post history i been startlingly accurate

called that the houston game would be closer than ppl think, called the blowout this past week, and i'm calling a jets victory this week. ur "objective" analysis won't save u brah

16. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Question: How do we beat the Patriots??? Answer: We score more points.

Awesome question! Keep up the good work.

17. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

Jets will win if they can get a few turnovers. The more time Brady is on the bench, the better.
    Obviously our pass rush needs to step up and play its best game, we're gonna need at least 3 sacks I think.
    If the jets can establish a run game, even a mediocre one, things will open up for Sanchez.
    This is how we've always beaten New England under RR.

18. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The Jets just beat up on the Indianapolis Colts who had their Superbowl the week before playing for their sick coach. The Patriots played poorly and lost by a point by a Seattle team with a much better D then the Jests.

Yeah we'll see on Monday. The Jets CAN win and I'll certainly give them credit if they do but if they don't where will you be Monday?

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Really. The Jests. People still say that? Is 2003 the year you were born?

20. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

No turnovers, sack Brady, and pray for a miracle.