So what does the phrase "NEW YORK JETS FOOTBALL" mean to you?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJGREEN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

On the forum while waiting for the grill, I just thought I'd ask so I can sit back with my burger with some music and read your responses a little later. I love this team! Peace!

#1 NJGREEN, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:( I wish I had a nurger.

3. joolander

joolander New Member

i love this team, but New York Jets Football with always be synonymous with New York Knicks Basketball and New York Mets Football. A complete joke

4. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

How hungover are you? :lol:

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Losing & still more losing & finally 43 years of losing that is what NYJ football mean to me

CC to Woody Johnson

:sad:

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Lady GaGa was the 22nd president of the United States of America.
    :sad:

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I has always thought pain, suffering and dissapointment is what being a Jet fan is all about. But I think that has changed over the last 15 years. The last 15 years have been the golden era of the Jets and best football the Jets have played. I remember the 70's and suffering thru 3-11 seasons year after year. Where our biggest and only important game of the year was the pre-season game against the Giants. I remember the 80's and Lam Jones, Michael's paranoia, the cheating Dolphins flooding the field for the mud bowl and the disaster of 86 predicted by Paul McQuire and the Gastineau personal foul against the Browns.

Since 97 the franchise has had only one losing season (2007) absent years where we had catastrophic injuries (2003 and 2005). Since that time we have been a constant contender playing meaningful games late in the season every year which for a long suffering Jet fan is pretty nice. I can recall so many years where the season was over after game 2 or 3 and it was just painful waiting for the next year.

One big thing that has changed about being a Jet fan is the internet. It used to be more of a solitary suffering. Now its more of a community based suffering. Although there are drawbacks to the internet where some peoples idea of being a Jet fan is an attempt to bring attention to themselves by posting whatever mindless idea their mind can make up. But isn't stupidity, thoughtlessness and the destruction of logical and critical thinking what the internet is all about?

So I am not sure what being a Jet fan means anymore. Initially being a Jet fan was about culture and politics where the AFL and the Jets were about change, progression, ant-war and anti-establishment while the NFL and the Giants were all about conservatism and fighting against the change happening in American society. As the 70's moved on being a Jet fan became less about politics and more about pain and suffering. But I think that is changing. Hopefully we will see a championship soon.

#7 Noam, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2 steps forward, 2 steps back. Then lets do it all over again...For 43 straight years..

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

/filler

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and they call ME a darksider.. :)

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's tough. My favorite thing, but the most frustrating. "Always giving you just enough hope to crush you." That should be the the definition of NYJ Football.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I guess "hope". Despite all the years and years of frustration and disappointment, my Dad and I always watch and root hard hoping this will finally be the year.

13. Mark Pennington

Mark Pennington New Member

Thats the problem isnt it? we dont have an identity... never did...

Giants have always had really good defenses & pass rushes & a very good QB & reliable offense

Steelers have always have very tough hard nosed defenses & a safe grind it out offense

Cowboys have always had a high powered offensive arsenal spear headed by a great QB and/or HB & a more than servicable defense

The jets? We had a top notch QB in the late 60's & 70's a great pass rush in the 80's & a great RB in the late 90's & 2000's

To be fair though we have been on of the more consistant/somewhat successful franchises since woody came aboard...

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Perfect evaluation

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Close but not enough.

16. skeleton_frames

"Always giving you just enough hope to crush you" is bang on. I also suggest "If __________ player/position/unit plays well, we can totally take the division!"

And...

"I don't know...maybe Brady will get a really bad yeast infection and then we can win the division!"

17. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

It means play great defense, great special teams, and run the shit out of the football.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Hope, here as well. Every year I go in expecting to win it all. I make bets w/ coworkers about how this is our year. Then I get my heart broke and look forward to the draft where I get bumfuzzled. Then I look forward to OTA's and TC and Preseason football. It is a vicious cycle, but I enjoy the ride.

March Madness in NCAA basketball is the only solace I have when both NFL and NCAA football are over.

Go Jets!

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up.

20. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

It means must watch football for me this year because of the drama of the unmentionable one.