Dan Marino: "Proven" Mark Sanchez will remain the Jets' starter

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by VanderbiltJets, Apr 23, 2012.

1. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Great, so the SEC quarterback talent is trending upward. 2, maybe 3 of the top 10 quarterbacks are SEC alumni. Despite being freakishly lucky in the playoffs, and bringing home two Super Bowls, I'd be hard pressed to call Eli a top 10 QB.

The point remains, the conference that a quarterback comes from means dick at the NFL level, and has absolutely no bearing on whether that player is more of a prospect than players from other conferences. Talent is talent, period. The 4th best SEC quarterback of all time was a 4th round pick (Danny Wuerffel).

#41 phaytal, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It's just one factor in the evaluation -- at some point, you have to look at a QB's effectiveness in college. And when that time comes, you have to ask "did he do this against good defenses?" When it comes time to answer that question, doing it against SEC defenses is a positive to be considered alongside many other factors.

It's still mostly about the individual's talent. But the conference, i.e. the defenses he played against, mean more than "dick." Every year, there are some quarterbacks who light it up but don't play good competition.

Whether Eli is elite is beside the point -- he is a good NFL quarterback who performed well against SEC defenses.

Frankly, NFL quarterback prospects come from the ranks of those who dominate at the college level. The hard part is picking which of those has the ability to win in the NFL.

(There are some exceptions, like Blaine Gabbert. Every now and then the scouts get enamored with some guy who's never even been dominant in college).

3. phaytal

phaytal New Member

I shouldn't have said that the conference that the quarterback plays in means dick, because that is not true. But, it means far, far less than Tebowites make it out to be. What is far more important is what a quarterback does with the talent around him.

People like to forget that the Gators, as a whole, during Tebow's time there, were arguably the most talented complete team in NCAA history. Without Percy Harvin there to pull down circus catches every game, the 2009 Gators (defense) beat one ranked team (LSU, 13-3), and got destroyed by Alabama in the SEC championship.

Meanwhile, Andrew Luck was the most sought after prospect in almost 20 years, despite his line being garbage, and his receivers going undrafted.

4. Major

Major New Member

Mark Sanchez

Mark Sanchez is completely aware of his current situation! Furthermore he's in training working hard on his Q.B.Mechanic's! He knows now more than ever that his performance last season can't be the same this season under no circumstances!

5. Major

Major New Member

Tim Tebow would make one hell of a soap~opera actor as far as being a Hollywood celebrity! Yes he played spectacular in college! But he's not an N.F.L premier Q.B.,, Not to say that he couldn't be! But nonetheless he's no comparison to Mark Sanchez when one mention's experience!

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

(1) It's used for players like Cam Newton, as well. Not everything has to be squeezed through the Unending Tim Tebow Argument. I suppose it comes up most often in response to the "college efficiency means absolutely nothing" argument against Tebow. For some reason, people lose their minds about Tebow and can't even stand to afford him the status of legitimate NFL quarterback. They genuinely desire for him to be dismissed and railroaded out -- meanwhile guys like Blaine Gabbert get left alone.

(2) Surely you can see what the "Tebowites" would say about your 2009 point -- that Alabama was an SEC team, and that after being "destroyed" by the Tide, the Gators beat 4th ranked, undefeated Cincinnati (their only loss that year). Oh, but Cincinnati didn't play anybody that year because they were in a weak conference (do you see how that conference strength comes back into it for someone like Tony Pike?)

(3) Andrew Luck's receivers "going undrafted" is misleading at best, as his tight end was his number one target, and he was the first tight end off the board. Kind of like the 2009 year you picked for Tebow, when TE Hernandez was actually his #1 target by far.

7. RobertPooner

RobertPooner Banned

People like you tend to forget about '08 and pretend '09 is the only season that counts. And that "circus catches every game" is just more nonsense and is clearly not fact. Just stick to Pro ball, you obviously know jack shit about college.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe New Member

I was gonna comment on that, too. Percy did not have the greatest hands on earth (pretty good though) but when the ball WAS in his hands in space he was as good as it gets.

9. phaytal

phaytal New Member

I certainly have not forgot about the '08 season. I am a UF alumni.

Care to guess how many players from Tebow's UF teams made it to the NFL? More than any other school, during a four year span, in NCAA history. Tim Tebow did not bring UF championships. That team did. Yes, he was a great football player, in that system, on that team. But the second he lost the receiver that made him the "passer" hes remembered as by Teboners, he was average at best.

Call me a hater all you want, but once Harvin was drafted, Tebow beat 1 ranked team, and got destroyed by Bama in the SEC championship. A team that UF should have beat.

10. phaytal

phaytal New Member

To add to my above post, every single lineman that protected Tebow in the '08 season made it to the NFL, for at least a season. He had the best line in NCAA history, period.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Why do you ignore Cincinnati (ranked #4 and undefeated), when I've pointed it out to you? It makes it seem intentional.

12. sg3

sg3 Banned

Shocking revelation from Dan the Obvious since Mark Sanchez is the only QB on the NYJ capable of playing QB in the NFL besides having won more than 30 NFL games in his first 3 seasons

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Oooooopppppssss :)

14. phaytal

phaytal New Member

I'm not ignoring Cincinnati, but lets be honest, Cincy didn't beat anyone in '09. Pittsburgh? Come on. It doesn't change the fact that Bama curb-stomped UF in the SEC championship. A team that the Gators should have beat.

But feel free to keep side-stepping the fact that Tebow played on some of the greatest college teams ever assembled. You have yet to acknowledge that those UF teams were simply amazing. It is very likely that an average quarterback could have managed one national championship in three years on those teams, just like Tebow did.

Yes, I'm ignoring 2006, because that was Chris Leak's team, not Tebows.

#54 phaytal, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Oh, I agree -- they played in a very weak conference. If Cincinnati had played in the SEC, I'm not even sure they're a .500 team. And Tebow was 31-35, for 482 yards and 3 touchowns. If he played in Cincinnati's conference against those defenses, his stats would have been off the charts. So it's sort of the silver bullet right through the point you're trying to make about the SEC and college stats.

I'm not sidestepping it. They were amazing. They accomplished great things. That's true of a lot of teams. Alabama is stocked right now, but that doesn't mean we can't look at McCarron and think he's a good QB prospect (he is). Sanchez played on a loaded USC team.

But anyone with eyes could see that Tebow was dominant. The best argument against him is his game doesn't translate to the NFL. It's a weak argument to subtract from his evaluation just because an "average" QB might have done it.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Tebow's college experience only matters in one respect does it translate to the professional game. Most teams did not think it did and Tim struggled to grasp a pro style offense thus far in his NFL career. His flawed mechanics and slow release is the reason his skill set does not translate in a prototypical NFL offense.

Blaine Gabbert gets a semi pass because he can make all the throws and has decent mechanics. Gabbert needs to step up or his pass will be short lived. He needs to show improvement but he wont be good until at least year 4.

The problem with Tebow he has not shown big improvement to be able to compete in an NFL style offense. For those of you that said Denver did not give him the chance I would argue that chance was in practice and he could not execute it in practice. He has shown both in pros and in college that he can play football and has found ways to win unconventional but did a heck of job last season leading Denver on a nice run.

Tebow style of play is more of a gimmick similar to the wildcat. It can be effective in the short term but it is sustainable and even more important win you a superbowl?

IMHO if Tebow wants to make the transition to an NFL pocket passer he needs to stop training like fullback and train like a QB. He is just to bulky to have a quick accurate release. But if Tim slims down it takes away his usefulness as a runner but if he really wants make as a QB he needs to.

17. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Everyone on the planet has acknowledged that Tebow was dominant in college. He was. But any decent running game would have been dominant behind those offensive lines. Trent Richardson would have been a 2,500 yard back year after year. When every member of the offensive line makes it to the NFL, you know you've got something special. Hell, two of them were first-rounders.

It is not hard for a quarterback to throw well, to great receivers, when the opposing defense has 9 in the box, and single coverage 95% of the time, behind the greatest offensive line in NCAA history. It just isn't. Percy Harvin in space was one of the NCAA's all time greatest weapons.

I am not discounting what Tebow did in college. That would be ignorant. But thinking that he will do what he did in college, in the NFL, is also, very, very, ignorant. He might help the Jets as a gimmick package player or whatever they plan to do with him. What he wont do is earn the starting job in New York. He might start at some point, but it will be because of one of three things - Sanchez going down with an injury, the Jets starting the season with something like a 1-6 record, or if it becomes a matter of Rex Ryan trying to save his job, and appeasing the Tebow cult.

18. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

So let me see if I have this straight, Tebow, behind a dominant offensive line at Florida = great......

But Tebow behind a good offensive line in the NFL wouldn't = good ?

Same thing applies. The reason teams had 9 in the box against Florida is because Tebow was such a threat to run the ball. That's just the math when you run an option offense with a QB as a serious run threat.

Denver's biggest mistake last year was that they didn't run the Spread Option. Guess what would have happened if they had ? Teams would have been forced to decide on whether they should stop the run or the pass. 4 receivers out wide. You going to run with single coverage >? Or drop into a zone with Safeties over top ? Going to run quarters ? Inverted zone ? What ?

If you run zone, how many guys are you going to devote to stopping the run ? You only have 11 men on the field. 4 of them are already out in coverage. Say you put 2 safeties in coverage as well. That leaves you 5 guys to try face off against 5 Olinemen, Tebow and a running back.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Lol @ even bringing up his time in college. Tru story Sanchez tore shit up at USC

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

When it's run correctly, its virtually unstoppable. The only real limitation on it is that Tebow can't run it 25 times a game, and the defense could put him to that test, week in week out. (I.e. show the front that reads QB run and just rely on the fact that he cant do it forever).

This is the reason "Tebow Time" is so unstoppable -- he actually can run it every time in the last 2 minutes. And he uses to play murder with defenses (run, pass, run, pass). You can't take away everything.