McKnight says Jets Offense is Relieved

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 17, 2012.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

makes me think of spinal tap...

'why not make 10 louder?'
    'but this amp goes to 11'

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sounds about right

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Not sure how that relates to my comment and I did see the movie (in the theatre when it first came out) , I might add.

I was trying to say the same thing as you - that the offense was too complicated for its own good. They need to simplify it in order to improve execution, otherwise it won't work at all.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I will say Schottenheimer's offense was predictable in these ways..

1. When a RB lined up straight behind the QB and further on back, it was almost ALWAYS a Run play. the zone run play (90%) of time. If you watched closely teams would bring a safety up when they saw the Jets line up this way. Towards the end Schottenheimer would try to hide this and have the RB line up somewhere else and get into that position in motion - still a run.

2. The last two years, when any RB besides Tomlinson was in the backfield, it was more often than not a run. Not as much as the previous example, 60+ % but still. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though because I think this had more to do with personnel than anything because he was the only RB on the roster that could pass block and catch the ball effectively. Greene can't do either and Mcknight can't block.

These things really hurt Schottenheimer as well as the neglect of the OL / the inability to pickup a blocking TE from Tannenbaum. Hello, Matthew Mulligan and his penalties.

Maybe the time was right to move on from Schottenheimer, but I don't think Sparano was a good hire and it won't take long for everyone to blame him in NYJ land.

5. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I really like the idea that spags says if its working were going to keep doing it,, I rember watching games last year and Mark would be torching the defence with one play, And I would be yelling at the TV, Just keep doing it again until the stop you,, Do it again.. And Schotty would do something different and we would punt.. I have a feeling this is really going to help us a lot and after a few years the other defences know already what Schotty was going to call anyway.

6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh i was agreeing with you, comparing it to nigel tufnel's amp going to 11 but not understand that he could have just made 10 louder. in this instance, the amp would be the team, and going to 11 would be schottys complexities trying to beef up an offense that isnt getting it, rather than toning it down and letting the team play better.

its my day off, i had just finished a 4 mile run and then smoked a bowl. i probably should have been more clear haha

7. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Fair enough; I'll stop. But the greater point remaining that the threat of the run and a well designed pass play should be enough to get someone open. If a safety has to come up to protect against the run, one of the receivers is in single coverage. If that receiver just runs the route he is supposed to run, he should be open at some point. And thats all you need. If Sanchez is certain of the route, familiar enough with the receiver and the route, he should be able to hit the target quickly. No more trying to be on the same page and sailing one high when the receiver is breaking into a come back route because the safety and middle linebacker did x or y.

8. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This has been an age old philosophical battle that has frustrated coaches since the game began. Its the " keeping it simple stupid" and getting consistent execution, vs. the the more sophisticated pre-and post snap reads which often give you match up advantages at the potential expense of consistent execution.

In an ideal world, you can get consistent execution in a complex offense. As good as the Pats offense has been the last several years, I wonder sometimes if they are too cute for their own good sometimes. Unfortunately there is no right answer, just different philosophies.

Tony Dungy rarey moved his DB's around feeling that the more they see a play from the same position, the faster they will react to it in the end. When you played the Colts you always knew where the defense would be. Dungy valued execution over complexity. BB;s D's of course, would be just the opposite. Two completely different philosophies, and yet both were very successful

It will be very interesting to see how it works out.

BTW- I don't think a RB who averaged 3.1 ypc last season should be making any comments, good or bad about the offense.

9. tzinc

tzinc New Member

Yeah the Ravens had a predictable offense and they were 1 dropped pass away from a SB. When you have a predictable offense it can also lead to big plays when you do something unexpected see DEN PIT playoff game.

10. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

The entire point of having option routes/check with me's in your offense is that this is not true.

Anyway, we won't see the extent of this until training camp/preseason or perhaps even into the regular season. Unless there's more information than what comes out of mouth of babes, there's no point in discussing it further.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Two Words

PASS PATTERNS.

Two More

FOUR FUCKING SECONDS.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Don't get upset.

What the morons are failing to absorb is the current state of the NFL Rules.

The defenses are still stuck in a 'rush the passer' mentality.

But the rules disallow contact after 5 yards.

Schotty's patterns take so long to develop, that any OL lapse is a problem.

How long does it take for a guy to go 5 yards?

Draws, OT runs, and quick hitters, using the pass as a risky run...is the way of the NFL. Schotty never got it.

(Rex, Oddly gets it, placing his emphasis on CB play...if he tok enough time to translate his defensive reaction to offensive philosophy, we'd hardly ever lose a game)

Running plays into the strength of most defenses (Front 7).

Spread them out wide, force them into Nickle or Dime, and you can have your way with them, but you need to do it often enough to be good at it.

Wes Welker isn't a star because he's running down the sideline. Nor was he the level of star in Miami. Belli, saw a player that fit the new paradigm, and adjusted accordingly.

#92 Hobbes3259, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Well I guess if our receivers can't get open running a route, then we might as well just run it /sarcasm

14. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Sigh. That's not the point, once again. The point is that if you have a post pattern called against cover one, for example, that route is fucking doomed. It needs to be changed. Same with deep routes sideline routes into cover 2 man under, cover 3 and cover 4. Same with screen passes generally against zone. Play action passes into overload blitz looks. Post corners into cover 3. And it goes on.

Do you seriously not get that some routes are non starters against certain coverages, regardless of how good the receiver is?

15. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I don't see the utter doom. There is still a match up between receiver and corner. And more to my greater point, if the receiver is covered well, then you check down to your next read. Its just not the end of the world here once a play is called and a certain defense is shown. Never mind the audible, throwing a pass away or the QB running it.

If it is as McKnight said it is, there will just be fewer moving parts in one particular area of the passing game. All is not lost.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is an interesting analysis, however with the exception of GB in 2010 the teams that have won Super Bowls since 2005 have had better pass rushes than defensive coverages.

2005 - Steelers.
    2006 - Colts.
    2007 - Giants.
    2008 - Steelers.
    2009 - Saints.
    2010 - Packers.
    2011 - Giants.

That's a list that says rush the passer first and depend on the backend after that fails.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I really like it. Every team in the NFL knew what Schotty was running and it showed each and every game. Simplify the offense and most importantly execute. The Steelers run a basic offense yet they execute great same with the Giants nothing fancy just impose your will on the other team. So glad Crappenheimer is gone.

18. Will_Barcells

Will_Barcells New Member

There is not a team in the NFL that structures their playbook based on maintaining "an element of surprise". In order to be successful, eleven players need to be on the same page at all times. When the OC is putting read option responsibility on each player, every down, the room for error increases ten fold. This becomes an issue quickly with an inexperienced quarterback and a large number of FA, skill position acquisitions. When your offense doesn't have a number of plays, that they know they can run to perfection, with no questions asked your in trouble once again.

In my opinion, Schotty's offense could not have been any worse based on the players he had running the offense. In 09 and 10 we were blessed with an amazing combination of youth, experience, and ability at OL. We were able to run the ball almost at will which hid some of these issues at times and allowed us to win games. Even with that great run game, Sanchez and the passing attack looked well below average at times. When the offensive line production declined last year, everything fell apart. Sanchez was forced to make long reads on pass plays and complicated audibles at the LOS which could have been a factor in the very confused, skittish and overwhelmed look on his face through out the season. The lack of confidence in the offensive system combined with the lack of personnel to properly execute, was a certain recipe for disaster.

Sparano is a guy who has always gotten the most out of his players as a coach. He doesnt try to do something because the idea should work on paper, he does it because he thinks his players can do it effectively. This is exactly what he is trying to do right now with the Jets. He wants to cut down on the things that hurt momentum and time of possession such as turnovers, sacks, penalties and plays for negative yardage. An offense that emphasizes the individuals role should help to cut down on these things. Sanchez will always know where his receivers should be. The OL will always know who they are supposed to block. The backs and receivers will know where they need to be and when to be there. Im sure if you got an honest answer from him, Sparano would admit that a simplified offense is not the recipe for long term success in the NFL, but im sure he would tell you that attempting to play outside of your skill set is much worse. Becoming predictable is obviously not at all ideal for any type of offense and the coach staff is surely aware of the potential for this happening, hence a possible explanation for an acquisition of a player like Tim Tebow, who is difficult to prepare for and has many talents outside of the traditional NFL quarterback mold.

This offense is reality for the Jets right now. Sparano knows who he has to work with and what they do well, something Schotty never did.

19. Will_Barcells

Will_Barcells New Member

This is the NFL, there will be audibles, just not every single play. This concern is coming from a short Joe Mcknight interview, before they team has even officially had a practice. Remember that before taking his comments too literally.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

eaxctly... you dont need all this crazy motioning and shifting to be unpredictable and hard to defend...

in fact, you can be very unpredictable by running the same formations/looks every down, but running a different play.thus everything looking the same at face value, but not knowing whats coming.

with shotty there was mostion, shifting, etc... but we still could call what was coming with 90% accuracy. not only that, it killed the play clock, allowing defenses to get a good jump on our cadence snapping late in the clock.

if all sparano does is make sure we dont run 5 WRs all 2 yards short of the stick every third down, he'll have won me over. that crap needs to go