TJB: Quinton Coples and the Unreasonable Gholston Comparison

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 27, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/04/...-unreasonable-gholston-comparison/#more-54820

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's just nonsense. He may be great and he may be a total bust, if he is the Gholsten comparison is absolutely correct.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Huh? The point of the story is that Coples knows how to play football, and Gholston was a raw talent. The comparison is not the same, even if Coples busts.

Coples was picked based on his production, and Gholston was picked based on workouts, and potential off the workouts.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

sigh.

Of course if he were to become a bust he would then be compared to other Jets busts. The POINT is that he doesn't share the same red flags that Gholston did coming out of college and that the comparison RIGHT NOW, before a down of football is played, is silly.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whatever else is true Coples and Gholston just aren't remotely similar in their abilities, their history or the likelihood that they would succeed upon joining the Jets.

It's going to be an upset if Coples doesn't have real value in Rex's system because Rex is going to use him in ways that he has already been used and been successful. Coples is going to have to adjust to the NFL, not adjust to a new position that he has never played for and is not suited for.

Gholston was an iffy pick from the moment it was made. although the Jets had very few options at the spot. He was iffy because the words stiff and linear did not translate well to anything that a 3-4 defense does. In truth they don't translate to anything an NFL defense does but that was Mangini's call and we just got unlucky that he got it wrong.

Rex doesn't make bad calls on talent that I have seen.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Did you even read the article?

7. Don

Huh? Did you ever look at what Gholsten did at Ohio state? in 2007 he was a first team all american with 14.5 sacks?

8. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

If Coples registers 0.5 sack or more in his career, he'll have outperformed Gholston.

Whether the "Gholston v2" characterizations are apt is meaningless. If he doesn't produce, he'll be labeled another bust, and Tannenbaum and co. will have to own up to it.

9. Don

Exactly my point and exactly what I said..if he is a bust then the Gholsten comparison is absolutely correct. One was picked 6th and the other 16th. Both had negative press coming into the draft. Any idiot that can't see the comparison is just that, an idiot. And Gholsten played at a far better football school and had a better college career.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Psssst....(shhhh) just between you and me Rusty, 7 of those sacks came in 2 games (4 against Wisconsin,3 Michigan)

11. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

To be fair, none of the things refuted in the article were the reason people compared him to Gholston, they compared the two because both had been accused of not being hard workers or particularly committed to putting in the time and effort needed to succeed.

12. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Did you ever look at what he did at Ohio State other than that one season?

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

You're just looking for something to be negative about - as usual. If he plays for 3 seasons and does nothing than of course he will be labeled as the next Gholston. The whole point is that the comparison is not valid RIGHT NOW. If you think his situation was similar to VG going into the draft than you're just dead wrong - there are plenty of differences that have been pointed out. Just because a few pundits called him lazy people cling to that like it's the fuckin gospel. Get over it, every prospect gets knocked for something. There are plenty of positive things being said about him as well but people like you seem to just ignore everything but the criticisms.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!

15. Don

Haha..I'm not even against this pick, in fact I'm in favor of it. All I said was the original post is total bullshit. If this guy busts then it is exactly the same as Gholsten for the reasons I have already pointed out. At least Gholsten was an all american at a legitimate football program, not North fuckin Carolina.

16. Vic

Vic Member

And how did that work out?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I usually just wonder if you are the stupidest man alive.

To your credit, you go out of your way to remove all doubt.

18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Ryan Leaf = Gholston v0.1

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know. How about we think up an interdisciplinary competition to decide once and for all:

Big Blocker v Don

Mono y Mono

Or is it Mano?

[​IMG]

20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Coples athleticism pretty much makes it a certainty that he'll be more productive than Gholston. What remains to be determined; is whether he has the heart, and work ethic, to maximize his abilities, and become an elite player in the NFL.