Thoughts on Right Tackle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Apr 27, 2012.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I know some people are going apoplectic about not drafting a replacement for Hunter. However, here are two things to think about:

1) We are changing blocking schemes under Sparano. Maybe Hunter and Ducasse will fare better. Both seemed to get lost in at times (in Ducasse's case all the time) in a zone blocking scheme.

2) The season doesn't start next week. Guys will get released as we get closer to the season and we can probably pick up a player that can help us on the line. (We picked a starting lineman late a few years ago....can't recall who it was)

I agree that it has to get fixed, but the fact that we didn't take a o-lineman in the 3rd round shouldn't doom our season. If it does, we were screwed anyway.

2. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I think they're gonna upgrade thru free agency there.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I think they are going to get a stop gap cut by a team in training camp. They are going to see what they have in Vlad and Hunter I guess. Interesting strategy, maybe they know something we don't?

4. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

I'm terrified. Vlad is definitely a better fit for man than zone, but he doesn't seem to have the capabilities to mentally pick up the concept quick enough to make a big impact this season. Hopefully I'm wrong and Sparano makes him a player, but for now I'm terrified for Sanchez's health

5. Shermster18

Shermster18 New Member

I realize that it's possible hunter turns it around, but last year was so bad I can't imagine it. As little confidence as I have in hunter, I have even less in ducasse.

6. Freeman_McNeil#24

The front office knows they have to improve from Wayne Hunter. There is plenty of time to find a stop gap to start as we see what we have in training camp. There will always be camp casualties to veterans, we just need to capitalize.

As for safety, Leonhard looks good if we re-sign him. If we can generate a better pass rush this year, the demands on a FS will be less.

7. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Right move & smart move. Why go into season with a rookie at RT ? He will be exploited. Veteran needed. Get RT to develop at upcoming supplemental draft.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Why would we need to upgrade our RT positon. Its not like the Patriots and Bills both improved their front seven in the offseason?

9. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Our draft should be based on the weakness we seek to improve on OUR team, not as a knee jerk reaction to what our divison rivals do.Thats just silly.

10. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why would we forfeit one of our seven picks from next year to select some scrub? If we want an under the radar guy there will be plenty of UDFA RT available. Sheesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Supplemental_Draft

11. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

With s full offseason under Sparano I think Hunter will be fine. He looked great in the playoffs in 2010 and showed glimpses last year at times. The lockout fucked our young/inexperienced players

12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I kinda agree. Hunter's main problem is inconsistency. He will have a good game and then next game he will give up sacks and pressures. He was good when we were a ground and pound team so maybe he can recapture his 2010 end of the year form.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny won't upgrade RT until Hunter gets Sanchez killed.

Heck, maybe it's even part of the 'master plan'

14. GreenMachine

The Pats reached on 2 of their 3 picks...

If the Jets got shit on for their 1st round pick, the Pats should too.

but than again BB gets a pass on picks. Jones was considered a high risk raw player, but since the Pats took him, he is awesome.

15. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

I agree with this completely. Jones has just as many question marks as Couples. In fact they are both very similar.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Ducasse was hurt by the lockout more than any other Jet, I believe. He was a raw player who needed coaching to develop, and he didn't get that.

I think Tannenbaum is hoping that between Ducasse, Howard and Hunter, someone will assert themselves. He would MUCH prefer it being Ducasse or Howard, I'm sure, as they have upside to be here a while because of their size and youth.

Sparano must be happy with what he sees in at least one of these guys. Plus, Tannenbaum compared Caleb Schlauderaff to Jeremy Lin, so there's that, too.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Hopefully you choke on it.

18. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

on the bright going into this season we know how much Hunter sucks. how worst can he play?

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We should have took Bobby Massie from Ole Miss, but I really like the Hill pick.

20. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Marcus McNeil sitting in free agency, we should make a move for him