Jets would have selected DeCastro

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ConcordeChops, Apr 27, 2012.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Well, in that case, I love the pick. Is DeCastro at guard going to have as big an impact as Donta Hightower might have had for the Steelers? I'm not so sure.

I know Coples has the size and frame to become a Richard Seymour like player. I think he has a ten cent head, but I understand the pick.

-X-

2. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Some people are taking this "you win in the trenches" shit too far. Green Bay and Pittsburgh win with less than stellar O Lines. The Jets wanted a playmaker. Is Coples it? Maybe, maybe not. I damn sure don't mind them wanting a guy who can potentially be dominant. My dad always says, you can only be but so "dominant" as an O lineman. If we went with Decastro when Aaron Maybin led our team in sacks last year, I would have been pissed.You take safe picks when you're a few players away. I think we needed to make a splash. Last year, NOTHING was dynamic about our offense or our defense. Coples could POTENTIALLY add that. Decastro can't, no matter how good he may be.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

GB and Pitt lost first round in the playoffs last year because of injuries on their O line. And Pitt's injuries in the front seven. So you kinda just proved the opposite point.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Steelers were pretty lucky to get someone like DeCastro that late. Pouncey+DeCastro = elite combo right in the middle of their OL.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally I think the Jets were trying to trade down a few slots judging from the fact they waited till the last moment to turn in their pick. I think the Jets were in love with Copels and if they weren't trying to trade down the pick would have been in a lot quicker. But I've been wrong before, just a hunch.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I've read elsewhere that prior to our time on the clock, we actually had a tentative trade down agreement in place to move down to grab McClellin. However, we nixed that once we came on the clock and Coples was still around. I assume we took some time in order to weight our options, and whichever team we were planning on switching with may have tried sweetening the pot. In the end though, Rex got his guy.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

IF Coples can really get after the QB as a 3-4 DE, then he join a very small group including Howie Long, Bruce Smith, Lee Roy Selmon, Richard Seymour, and Justin Smith.

I think he really helps our pass rush more than an OLB because of his impact when we are in the nickle D and particularly when we're defending the hurry up.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's nothing lucky about the Steelers landing an elite player in the first round. They do it nearly every year and they do it by going BPA every year while every other team scrambles to fill needs. And then they find starters and role players in the other rounds. That pick was the least surprising to me, actually.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

every team that has a top QB is pretty much able to sit there and go BPA, it doesnt make those teams smarter or better drafters, just luckier in respect of their QB situation.

10. Nick

Nick Member

I can't wait till Coples has 10+ sacks next season and Ingram is a bust; Stop trying to find negatives in our new DE, there really is no way to predict how well he could do next season.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

The Steelers lost because of injuries in the defense. They couldnt even stop Tebow.Green Bay lost because their receivers decided to collectively have their worst game of the season. So no, i didn't prove the opposite point. They both played each other in the Superbowl because with the same mediocre lines.

12. fake_spike

fake_spike Banned

Steal at 24

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

That's a pretty silly thing to say in my opinion. We all know the Steelers draft about as well as anybody historically. Unbothered by your concern, they took DeCastro. Why would you possibly assume they're wrong at this moment?

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

It's not about right and wrong, it's just the fact that he is a guard. He fell because, value wise, guards just don't rate as high as premium positions. I bet every team had him top 3 or so on their board because he's really good, but the fact they went in different directions tells me a lot about relative value.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

So I guess your point is that Shea McClellin and Bruce Irvin have superior relative value to both of these guys?

I think the Steelers knew that they could pick either DeCastro or Hightower. It seems they decided that DeCastro rated to be a more valuable asset to their franchise. Just guessing though.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They don't call them the Stealers for nothing. Mike Adams in round two was a nice grab as well.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Oh well. We stole Santonio from the Stealers. Joints and all.

Big Ben should try to get another tiff going over some itsy bitsy rapey's. We might land DeCastro yet!

#37 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

its hilarious to read about all these false rumors and anonymous sources about what woulda happened if something had gone differently - funnier still that some of the fans here actually buy into the BS and then get all emotional about crap they read on the internet. LOL.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This is funny to read after my suggestion that the Jets were interested in Barron was flamed in another draft thread :smug:

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Steelers were going BPA when they had Kordell Stewart under center. It's not about having a QB, it's about having a great FO.