Rate the Coples Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 27, 2012.

?

How do you rate the Coples pick?

Poll closed May 11, 2012.
  1. Great pick! This guy is going to be a star!

15.5%
  2. Good pick, the Jets got good value at #16.

58.0%
  3. Middle of the road, could have done better but also could have done worse.

18.0%
  4. Not a good pick! What were they thinking?

5.0%
  5. Terrible Pick! This guy is going to be a bust!

3.5%
  1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Good pick. He wasn't supposed to be there and we were able to HOLD ON TO OUR DRAFT PICKS and get him. In that defense I trust Rex's ability to pick em' and bring them in and get the most out of what he sees. I keep seeing the VG references but VG wasn't a Rex pick. I don't know but that Baltimore defense is littered with Rex's picks and look at them. I hope that we hold on to our 10 picks and bring in 10 guys ready to help. End of the day, Coples is a good pick up. What I like the most about what I've been reading is he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He has room for growth...and his ceiling is a Julius Peppers kind of guy. I'll take that all day long!

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm going with good pick, door #2. I think we got value but I'm concerned about the negatives and want to see him prove the doubters wrong.

As far as Rex working him out in drills and that he "couldn't tire the kid out," I'm reading this over and over again and I fail to see what relevance this has in the decision to draft him or why Rex would even consider this factor important enough to even mention it, other than to sell the pick. Sensationalism, IMO.

Anyone who has millions waved in their face will work out tirelessly for a limited period of time on a practice field. That doesn't show jack squat as to how his motor holds up late in the 4th quarter in game 14 when you're beat up and tired and it's been a long season.

Sometimes Rex comes out with these zingers... like I'm supposed to be sold on the pick and on Coples' motor because he couldn't tire the guy out with 20 minutes worth of drills.

Still, the kid is a huge physical freak of a defensive player. I can picture him batting down Brady passes and pissing Tommy off. If he gets his head into the game and gells with his teamates, and if that makes some of the negatives disappear, we got a hell of a value at 16.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

On the record, good value IMO.

I wanted a pass rusher and I got him.

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Meant to hit "Good Pick". I do have some reservations and it wasn't at a position of high need (RT/WR/S), but the guy has some unbelievable talent and has a solid skillset. Him, Mo Wilk, and Pouha should be an excellent front 3 if he develops. If Ellis develops as well, our D-Line should generate more pass rush than any 3-4 defensive front has any right to.

5. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Middle ground. I refuse to grade any picks before they even step on the field. It's all just educated guesses and nothing more. I do, however, think he will have some decent success on the jets. Not saying he will be a Pro Bowler or anything, but I believe he has the potential to be an impact player on our defense, despite his lack of effort. I believe Rex and our team leaders will sort him out sooner rather than later.

6. MURDR

MURDR Banned

I feel as though if we can get a decent veteran DT in FA and we re-sign Leonard , we should use 46 Bear with a modified deep safety concept as our base defense. I will be called a homer for this, but with the deep safety concept, Leonard would be asked to do one thing and one thing only: knock WRs running deep slants the f*ck out.

I don't have the best knowledge on every defensive scheme and offensive scheme, but I have done loads of research on the 46 Bear and the DS concept, and have even played in it in HS and college. If you know what your doing, it can not only be the most dominating run defense, but it can be a formidable pass defense with smart LBs/S (which we have).

For anyone unaware, 46 Bear with a DS is as follows:

--------------------------H------------------
    --------------------------F------------------
    --------------------------Q------------------
    WR------------O---O---C---O---O---TE------------WR
    ----CB-----E----ILB-T---N---T------E------------CB----
    ------------------SS------------OLB--------------------

-------------------------DS-----------------------------

THIS PART is experimental, but the teams I ran it on had the ILB be the FS and the DS be the OLB. The SS and FS would be palying as "linebackers", but their main responsibilities would be to cover the backs and TEs. The OLB would be playing DS because he has good instincts and can knocks WRs out cold (which is the point of the DS). You NEVER have the DS backpedal...EVER. The whole teaching is that you want the DS to only move forward, which is why he's so deep.

But switching your LBs and S for each other depends on the skill level of those players. Essentially, you want your two best tacklers as the LB that's on the line and the DS, and your two best coverage LBs/S as the LBs that are playing in the traditional LB position. Hope this isn't confusing anyone.

#26 MURDR, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good pick.bpa at a position of need

i think everyone fell in love with getting a rush olb when in reality we needed a pash rusher.(if that makes sense) and now we got the most polished pass rusher that was available.he comes right in and contributes from day one doing what he has been doing.thats the way you draft

8. RobertPooner

RobertPooner Banned

Generating pass rush with your DL is better than doing it with your LB's. Coples will be a stud from day 1, imo.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Considering Coples was projected to go in the top 10, we got great value picking him up at #16. I remember when we first saw Rex working him out we thought Rex may trade up for him because of the projections, but luckily some nonsense dropped his value and we got a steal for him at 16. If anyone can ensure this guy becomes great it's Rex. I'm happy. Ingram's good, but Coples fits our D better.

10. snipes824

snipes824 Member

I really wanted a rushing OLB, so I was initially disappointed that we took Coples who is obviously a hand-in-the dirt DE. But the guy is really talented and should be a solid contributor for us. I'd rate it a solid B - not exactly what I wanted, but a good player.

11. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Good to great.

Him and Mo could make the d-line solid for years to come.
    Had he come out last year he would have went top 10. Could have done that this year also. His play last season shouldnt indicate much. NC was a mess.

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

That's not the way Rex thinks. He wants to generate pressure with the d-line that allows the backers to make plays.
    Lets put Maybin in the probowl. LOL

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like the pick and of course I would I'm a Jets fan and will support this guy. The Gholston comparisons are weak. This guy is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier. I didn't like the Gholston pick from day one and thought he was a stiff. I just hope the Jets do some addressing of the offense after this pick. Be it OL, WR and somewhere along the line a safety. This is 3 years in a row now the Jets have gone defense.

14. Titans

Titans Member

I cannot believe the negative stance on Coples this guy will prove to be a beast Im glad we got him.

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I can't wait to revisit this thread. This kid will improve the pass rush whether that's from the inside or outside. He can play all over the field in the multiple schemes we play in and is a top 10 talent in this draft.

I hate that people are calling him a bust and bad pick, for those of you who are , you should go back and watch him a UNC and the Senior bowl.

16. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Agreed, but I can't +1 you because of your avi :(

Funk Volume > OFWGKTA

17. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I put middle of the road. I will like to see after the pre season to fully make my opinion. Locker room leadership will be huge.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Coples,Ellis,Wilkerson.

Maybin.

Sweet.

19. PoPo

PoPo Member

Think it's a good pick, not what I expected but maybe all the troubles surrounding unc had something to do with the drop off.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Wilk himself says Coples is better than he is, so...

I wasn't sure about the pick when it was read, but when i learned Rex worked one on one with him down in NC, and really liked him, that sells it for me. The way things have gone with our front office lately (Tebow, desire for Hard Knocks again etc) I expected Woody to have Tanny pick Lady Gaga, so, I'm just happy that it was Rex who got his man. That's all I needed to hear.