Asante Samuel Traded to Atlanta

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by milo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. milo

milo Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...rt-of-falcons-trade?module=HP11_breaking_news

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Atlanta is poised to fall big time if they dont win soon. They have given up so much the past years to try and get over the hump. Asante Samuel does not beat the giants ... They couldnt score that game

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

A good trade for the Falcons though - the Eagles got poor compensation.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The article does not list the pick, so how do we know it's poor?

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

They apparently got "a late-round pick" in return.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Reported as a 7th rounder on nfl.com now.

That is quite low for him. It would seem that his high contract kept teams away. He's still a good zone corner with a good track record of jumping routes for turnovers. Philly is still getting fallout from "winning" the offseason last year.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And ESPN reported it as a 6..either way it's not much but they free up 10 million on their cap and that's the real compensation.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Eagles reported it was a 7th rounder. They were gonna just release him anyway, so they took what they could get.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The Falcons need to find a QB that can play in the playoffs, not a CB, not a WR.

10. Christian

Christian Active Member

Actually if the team signed aging free agent wideout Terrell Owens I think they'd be Super Bowl contenders. Its really ignorant that you think they couldn't use a WR to help them out there. He has played in a Super Bowl before and has been on countless playoff teams during his many years in the league.

11. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

I think soxxx's point is Matty Ice undergoes metamorphosis into Matty Ice Cold in January.

12. Christian

Christian Active Member

Clearly the point he was trying to make was that a WR won't help them win a Super Bowl and hes obviously 100% wrong about that.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Didn't they give "Matty Ice" all the weapons he needed to have a great offense? what was the result again? 0 points. Hell the defense had a better offense than the actual offense. Thats fucking sad.

When your defense scores more points than your offense in the playoffs, thats when you know you need a new QB.

14. Christian

Christian Active Member

You give Terrell Owens way to little credit I think.

15. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Why are you giving him enough credit to say he could be the tipping point to a superbowl victory for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in how long? TO accounts for 22 offensive points they didn't score?

16. ugggghhh

ugggghhh New Member

The Falcons offense is pretty stacked in my opinion. They have 2 really good recievers in Roddy White and Julio Jones. They have an aging, but still good Tony Gonzales. A good redzone threat anyways. They also have one of the best running backs in Michael Turner, and a pretty good offensive line. I don't think it's the players around him that are the problem. Not that being said, I never like blaming a game on 1 player so I'm not going to do that, especially when I didn't watch alot of it.

Also, I dont know, and don't care to do the research, so I'm not sure if all of those guys I just listed were healthy at the time. And I know Jones was a rookie, but a very good rookie at that. But when you get shutout, I think everyone on the offense is usually to blame.

I'll give Matt Ryan 1 more year and if he has another bad postseason performance, I'll start questioning him.

Also, in fairness to Ryan, in his first playoff game (as a rookie) he lost by 6 points to the Cardinals who went on to the superbowl. He played pretty decent for being a rookie. 65% completion 199 yards, 2 TD and 2 INT. Not bad for a rookie.

In his 2nd postseason attempt he lost to the Packers who not only went on to the superbowl but they won it. And again he didn't play horrible. Not good, about average, but the defense couldn't do there part. The Packers scored 48 points, and your not going to win when your defense allows that.

In his 3rd postseason, the most reason against the Giants, another team that went to a superbowl and won it. He had what I would say were Sanchez numbers. Again I didn't see the game so I can defend it much, but he didn't throw any interceptions (no touchdowns either) had 58.5% completion and 199 yards. That tells me that he didn't get alot of help from his teammates.

Like I said, I'll give him 1 more year, and if he lays another egg, I'll really start to question whether he just chokes in the playoffs.

And now that I did a little research while I was writing this down, I never new the Falcons lost to superbowl teams all 3 years Matt Ryan has been the quarterback. Twice being superbowl champion teams. That's kinda interesting. I'm going to pay attention to who they lose to next year if they make the playoffs again and do in fact lose.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

interesting that they couldn't get better than a 7th in return

18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It's really ignorant to point to needing a WR as an excuse for the QB. He had Roddy White, Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, and Tony Gonzalez to throw to all year, and a top RB in Turner to run the ball....

I find it hilarious that you would insult someone (even someone who is often wrong about stuff), to make the point that TO is the answer to the Falcons problems!

:rofl2: