Bradway?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stinkyB, Apr 24, 2012.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

With the draft approaching, one thing that gets overlooked is that Terry Bradway is still head scout "head of player personnel" (or whatever his official title is)

Obviously Tanny is the GM and has final say, but he has also been know more a fancy accountant handling contracts and the salary cap.

People say that Bradway was a good talent evaluator, but poor GM (in regards to overpaying aging vets, etc) but in my opinion some of his drafts, particularly the early rounds were the Shittiest. Doesn't that come down to talent evaluation?
    2001 was good.....
    2002 Taking B. Thomas over Ed Reed (when safety was clear enough of a need to select McGraw rd2) was almost as bad as "WE WANT SAPP" Thomas has been a solid yet unspectacular player, but odd after taking 2 1st DEs 2 years prior.
    2003 Trading the 2 1sts and a 4th for a "bowling ball with butcher knives" with a chronic knee condition because the later players weren't worth a 1st rd grade (guys like Troy Palomalu)
    Picking up Curtis Conway to start over Moss?!
    2005 The whole Mike Nugent / Doug Jolley fiasco

These are just some examples that come to mind...... maybe the JETS to look outside for some more scouting help.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's always easy to point the finger at those in the spotlight but lets face it,Tanny is not scouting these players and neither is Rex.They are being told,"hey take a look at this guy I think he can help us",and that's when we see them at Pro days and stuff like that.

I've said it before, teams are only as good as the talent they surround themselves with, and that not only goes for the players on the field but the "players" behind the scenes.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bradway's name has been everywhere this spring. The Jets have made him available over and over again. It's going to be fun watching them throw him under the bus if the draft fails again. The amount of exposure he's gotten suggests the Jets are preparing their scapegoat just in case.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It was ONE 1st rounder they gave up for Robertson, we also exchanged 1st rd picks. '03 was bad allowing Coles to walk but it wasn't expected anyone would sign him to an offer sheet. Wash overpaid, we wound up being fine w/ Moss but they did panick after Evans got suspended and wash had taken Coles.

5. nyjunc

he is made available to the media every offseason.

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I've had the same thoughts. We know Tanny isn't a talent guy. Woody (who only really looks at the marketing aspects of players), Tannenbaum and Rex look at scouting reports, and use them to look at tape and workouts of players that the scouting dept highlights. Obviously, the lack of quality drafts this team has had, and the way the draft has been handled the past few years, show me that they not only need better scouts, but they also need to evaluate their in house talent better to determine areas of need. This team shouldn't even be lacking for depth as it is, considering all the backups they have drafted these past few years. Neither the scouts nor the CS is doing their job as far as talent evaluation goes.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Where is this thread coming from? Are you just realizing that Bradyway is the head of player/personnel? If you're so concerned about him as head of player/personnel then why do you only site his drafts as GM in this thread? He was head of player/personnel for the 2006->2011 drafts too.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This got me thinking. Everybody thinks Rex is a great evaluator of talent, what is that based on? We know he didn't have any input in Baltimore on who would be picked and if Johnson is to be believed Tannenbaum makes all the decisions here. So where does it come from?

9. nyjunc

who thinks rex is a great evaluator of talent?

10. All true talent evaluators have a habit of falling in love with talents & perhaps overlooking others. It's the nature of the business.

That is why many talent evaluators are not good decision makers. This holds true for Bradway.

Frankly, many of the instances you are alluding to are NOT the complete failures they are made out to be. D rob DID plug a long time hole for the Jets.He was a starter from day 1 & was a plus player(much of which as a square peg in the 3-4). The jets most certainly gave up too much for his services..but he is not the catastrophic decision that many make it out to be.

BT was a solid pick. Yes there is the Ed Reed argument but 20+ other teams passed on him as well. At that time Jets were a cover 2 team...Reed's skillset would have been a waste if he was playing in herm's conservative 2 deep philosophy. At the time it didn't make sense to pay a safety top first round dollar for what the Jets were asking from that position.BT was never the pass rusher he was pegged to be..but he was a very solid Jet who contributed to a number of playoff teams.

11. Scottso

Scottso Member

In Bradways defense, I know his brother in law and he told Tannenbaum and Mangini not to draft Vernon Gholston. He told them he was too stiff in the hips to play outside linebacker, and he turned out to be right. However, the Dewayne Robertson thing and especially the Ed Reed thing sting pretty bad.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

you gotta figure the life of a scouting agent for any team has to be pretty tough.

your entire career (and life to a degree) is based on whether or not a college kid you pimped to the team actually pans out.

before anything you have to convince the GM to draft the kid YOU'RE pimping. Next the coach has to love your kid and get him into the game. and third, the kid has to shine.

anything short of this and you suck ass as an NFL scout.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We don't know who makes the picks. It's logical to assume it's a group of people including the HC, GM and scouting dept. Probably the OC, DC and STC as well. Singling out one guy for draft blunders/rewards isn't accurate imo. For the record, Bradway was on the scout team for the 06, 07, 08 drafts which turned out very good.

14. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Is there certain draft pics that a coach can have since we have 10 as of now

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Thats kind of the thing, Like Rex needs to be more of an offensive guy, Woody should be hammering Tanny to be more of a player evaluation guy.

Though at least with Rex here, we should get more solid on the D picks.

16. Hobbes3259

I will say one thing...

It's odd how we ALWAYS miss out on pass rushers.....

17. Hobbes3259

You don't build great defenses without being able to realize what your talent can and cannot do.

So, I would respectfully submit that without regard to picking the players, Rex has the skill set to accurately evaluate defensive talent and apply it correctly.

18. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

One thing that has stung this team in the last decade has been the changes in coaching. Not to say specifically that i want any coach in particular back...

But we switched from 4-3 to 3-4 and 4-3 again and then back to 3-4. In these shakeouts, we lost guys from High Douglas to Jon Vilma. On offense, its more subtle but I blame a good deal of the issues on the health of chad Pennington rather than any front office moves.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well, I just became a fan when they signed Tebow, never heard of him before, but he doesn't seem that good...... :breakdance:

During his drafts the "buck stops there", that's why I cited those. I know he he had influence on others, but does anyone on a fansite message board know how much?

uhhh..... the draft is Thursday, so I figured this is somewhat relevant, and something to think about..... maybe I should've started another Tebow thread. "Tim Tebow chose NY to help him become the 1st gay Republican President".... coming soon to a message board near you. :drunk:

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I was not a Chad Fan by any means, and his fragility was a huge issue for the team. But let's not forget how the Jets picked up Fiedler to back him up. WTF, Fiedler had missed more games than Chad over the same preceding period. And sure enough he goes down in the same game Chad did, leaving the Jets with a totally unprepared Bollinger to play Qb for the rest of the season.

That was all on the FO. Which included Tanny and Bradway, two who unfortunately are still very obviously in the picture.