Brad Smith Question

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by impevan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. impevan

impevan Banned

After watching some of the videos in the other Brad Smith sections, I am pretty speechless. But it brings up an obvious question.
    Why isn't this guy returning kickoffs for us?
    I've been to a bunch of practices and have never seen him back there, has anybody else?

His open field ability is remarkable, it makes NO sense for him not to be there, plus it makes him more valuable to the team. Randle El does it, yet there has been no mention of trying him there. I've seen Justin Miller and Leon Washington return kicks, they are not close to this guy in open field ability.
    What do you all think?

2. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

he doesn't have the same level of elite speed as Justin Miller has. That kid has to be one of the fastest players in the league.

Speed kills, and that holds true especially in special teams.

3. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I'm not an expert, but I wonder if Brad's elusiveness would be somewhat minimized on kickoffs where having the speed to hit a designed hole is more crucial than change of direction ability in the open field.

I think the Jets should give it a shot though. Watching the game on Friday vs. TB, it looks like he was being utilized on a lot of wide receiver screens where they would try to take advantage of his ability to make opponents miss.

4. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Brad Smith is a remarkable talent that the JETS have to let loose onto the field.

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Doesn't Smith look a little thin to be doing that. i know there are plenty of skinny guys returning kicks, but I'd fear he'd get broken in half doing that.

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea to let Brad concentrate completely on learning the WR position. It also helps Miller's confidence to know that the Returner job is his to lose.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Most of the hardest hits are on ST , Smith does not seem to be a return man of any sorts.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Not to mention Miller was a return man in college, and a pretty good one at that.

9. arenateam

arenateam New Member

That'd be cool.

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

but if miller becomes the DB we all hope for, I dont want him absorbing these tremendous hits either