Options at FREE Safety

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayMike, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Maybe they could do a little quid pro quo with him.

"We'll let you free lance back there more than you ever got to as a corner but you've got to commit to being a better tackler."

Boeheim at Syracuse (basketball isn't the same i know but I think it applies) does something similar with his players. He gives them a lot of freedom on offense, more than most big time coaches but the trade off is they have to buy into his zone D scheme and really commit to it. It doesn't turn poor defenders into studs but they usually end up being serviceable and that's all you really need from Cro if you did this.

2. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

We dogged the bullet by not getting Asomugha, hopefully this guy is the same.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why is everyone worried about safety? The Jets have gotten by with Eric Smith and Brodney Pool in those positions the last 2 years at the end of the season. Hard to get worse.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well last season we went 8-8, so if thats what you consider “getting by” then okay. But many people want to see improvements, and hope to do better than last year.

And as of right now, we only have Eric Smith at the safety position, no one else. Thats also a huge concern, even if you are okay with him starting (which I am not).

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I said last 2 years, which includes a trip to the AFCCG. And the Jets did not go 8-8 due to safety play. Come on son.

6. Laveranues

Laveranues Member

Jenny Vrentas ‏ @JennyVrentas

Jets would like to sign LaRon Landry and are working on it, as @RichCimini noted. Landry is currently talking to 3 teams, per source. #nyj

Rich Cimini ‏ @RichCimini

For what it's worth, Landry had an overnight visit with the #Jets. Toured team facility this morning.

7. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It certainly was a key element. Look at our stats against TEs last year, we got torched by players who have no right torching any team.

8. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

The problem is "getting by" is not going to equate to "getting you in the superbowl"

9. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Jets can take care of there Safety issues by moving #20 Kyle Wilson to FS. That is his best & most effective position. Jets can then pick up 2 more CB's for secondary Maybe even re-sign Dwight {the playmaker} Lowery. Lowery will be a much better FS than CB.....believe me.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Gonna be hard to resign Dwight {the playmaker} Lowery, considering hes under contract for the next 4 years.

But that 2016 FA period, definitely expect Tanny to be all over him.

And the idea of taking our 1st round pick corner, who is finally getting his shit together, and moving him to a new position that to my knowledge hes never played in his life (which is odd that it could be his best & most effective position if hes never played it) seems like a bad idea

11. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I'm biased, but I'd love to see the jets sign Reshard Langford (c/o '08). We're facebook friends, I should pester him.

12. PoPo

PoPo Member

Not 100% sure but what about George iloka from Boise st in the draft? I know he wouldn't be the starter right away but was reading up on the kid and sounds intriguing.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That was also because the Jet LB's are slow and suck at pass coverage. It was not just on the safeties. That and no pass rush, and the outstanding corners the JEts have. Using a TE, if you have one that can catch, was the best way to attack the Jet D last year. It still ranked 5th in the league as a D.

Ftr, I am all for upgrading safety, but there are other holes on the team, like RT.