We need another all-purpose running-back for this new offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Guys...

There is only one universal truth in winning team - what is it? They get more production out of their players than other teams. How do they get more production out of their players? Two cases are there: either they get more production out of their players than what they are paying, through what you call "underpaying" the players or, getting the best guys in every position.

First case is especially important since you cannot overpay everyone in hard-salary cap league of NFL. In case of the likes of Premier League or La Liga, second option is a viable option.

Back to the point - unless you underpay your players, you will not sustain success for years to come. Now, news flash for you: free agents come at the price they are valued, so in terms of 'underpaying' your players, you are spending more than you should.

This is why you end up with 8-8 football when you build your team through free agency.

FORGET ALL THE RUNNING BACKS. THIS TEAM NEEDS THE RESOURCES (= SALARY) FOR DRAFTS.

Time to see what Powell is made of.

#21 Zach, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Get a legit NFL RT and plug in a back or two in the later rounds with one of our compensatory picks.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

FTR I am not a big fan of Slauson's, and Moore will probably be done after one more year. But isn't the greater need at RT?

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You make an excellent point, with one exception. When a team has more holes than high and midlevel draft picks, sometimes you have to go FA.

Jets need at least one starting safety with a second as first off the bench, an RT, OLB to replace Thomas, 2nd wideout, and an RB to replace LT. That's six players. (Add in a punter, but they should be able to pick one up.) Can't fill all those holes with the draft.

And last but not least, don't forget that the Jets need to have a real Qb on the roster in order to get rid of Brunell.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's one way to address the problem, but like I say, you cannot replenish the entire squad overnight. You fill as many holes as you can - then see how much the team improves, then replenish again the next year.

Hell, if Cincy bites it, I would support trading Revis to the Bengals for their 2 1st picks and 2nd rounder - if it comes down to it, that is. (This is my philosophy involved as well actually - I believe in building the roster from up front, both on offense and defense, and since Jets front seven is in miserable situation, Revis is nothing but a luxury; or that's how I see it)

The problem I have with free agency is that, since you are basically 'overpaying' the player at a said spot, if you are having more than 4 free agents playing for you (Jets have a lot: Jimmy Leonhard/Bart Scott/Cro/Pace, that's four on defense starters alone - then Plax and Tone to round it up, leaving the Jets at about 2/3 mark with drafted starters) that stretches the salary thin in other areas - essentially, weakening the team in general.

The only exception to this that I can think of so far is the Patriots during their dynasty run - they somehow underpaid their free agents and got premium outputs from them without breaking the bank. This is an exception, not a rule.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Trade Revis??? Zach, you're going to hell...

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Blount is a bum.

Inconsistent, his hands are garbage, and hes dumb as rocks.

Most of his fumbles come on tosses and short passes. he half asses routes.

the list goes on. after having people with attitude problems in this locker room he needs to stay his ass out of NY.

people talk about how big he is yadda yadda.

simply overrated and not worth it.

Ray Rice will stay in BAL if hes smart. I'd put more trust in the Ravens FO than the Jets if I'm a player.

I'd take Michael Bush in a heartbeat

8. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

for what we have to give up? lack more depth which is what has been a problem? yea ok.

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

RB is very much a plug and play position. Giving a RB a new contract just doesn't work out very well that often. If the line is good Greene and Powell will be fine as the north and south guys with McKnight the change of pace. Maybe sign a cheap vet or take another mid to late round back.

The only big RB investment I wouldn't hate is Richardson and only because he would be the BPA if he fell to the Jets.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope Bilal Powell can be serviceable next season. I don't want to spend money on that position I think Shonne Greene is good and LT is good in his role we just need Powell to be that 3rd back.

11. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I would love Lynch as a Jet - that guy is fun to watch. Bush or Hillis could also be a good fit. As long as they could get one of those guys without diverting too much resources from more pressing needs I'd be down with it.

12. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Maybe I'm losing my mind but there's only 1 maybe 2 FA's who I would spend bigger money on:

Mario Williams and possibly Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks

As far as running back goes I say lets fix the O-Line and let Greene/McKnight/Powell battle for carries I think Powell can be the best out of all them because he has a mix of speed and strength. Greene cant catch so he definitely isn't the answer.

So as far as Free Agency goes: Lets get Mario Williams at whatever cost and my man Reggie Nelson and beef up our O-Line

13. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

[​IMG]

14. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

This. Go back to 2009 style with a hopefully improved Sanchez

15. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I agree on taking a look at Ronnie Brown. Other than that, I think it's smarter to put our resources elsewhere.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Forget another all purpose back, we need the first all purpose back...Greene isn't that guy and certainly none of the others are.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. Like Danny Woodhead.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

^ This

We will be fine with Greene, McKnight, and Powell this season. Tanny and rex will probly add antother late round/UDFA guy to that list for depth. Rex has sparingly used rookie RB's over his three seasons here. Greene, McKnight, and Powell each saw very little of the field year one. With LT most likely gone I would expect Powell nad McKnight each to see an expanded role and another rookie waiting in the wings if they falter.

As for Rishardson, its a torturous choice at 16, but one you ultimately have to make. There should be very good options at WR and OLB there as well as Oline, but he would be by far not only the BPA but the one likely to make the biggest impact day one.

19. 818JET

818JET New Member

i love shonn, even with our poor oline play the jets were 6-0 when they carried the rock 30+ times. imo he can be a work load back, he jus has to work on his hands. he did manage to haul in 30 rec tho. turner cant catch worth jack, but i dont hear people bashing him. everytime we would get some momentum in the run game schotty would call some retarded play action or empty backfield play on first down and we'd fall behind on the drive. also shonn played all 16 games this season and to my recollection hasnt miised a game in his pro career. his injury in the denver game was a huge factor, i feel we wouldve won that game if he didnt get hurt. now with sporano run heavy o, i cant wait to see what shonn can do in 2012.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

ronnie brown
    peyton hillis
    marshawn lynch

one of them