The Tightend

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Graham & Gates were both basketball players. I'm starting to think that we might want to try entering the NBA Draft as well if we can.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Injury not withstanding. I like Gronk a lot as a player, and had a sinking feeling as soon as they drafted him, but big TEs that make and take hits like he does tend to rack up injuries.

Over the next 10 years, I expect the Jets to face him probably 12 or 13 times.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And he also sucks at blocking. I wouldn't be shocked at all if our starting 2012 TE isn't on the roster yet. We'll probably bring in 2 new guys that fit the fist pump mold.

4. Thesanchize81

Thesanchize81 New Member

Jimmy is awful at blocking. What are you talking about? Assuming or what you have seen? In fact they don't let him block at the Line at all.
    wait, you are saying blocking DBs or DEs? He sucks at block DEs and OLbs.

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This team has been grasping for a high pick TE for 2 decades to replace Mickey Shuler.
    Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht, and now Dustin Keller have all not lived up to expectations. While all of the aforementioned were in no means absolute busts, they all certainly did not live up to their draft position.

I firmly believe that Keller is not the answer for a full time every down TE and I agree with one of the posters who viewed him as a beefed up WR. He is similar to some of the defensive players who you are not sure coming in are they a DL or LB because there is a disconnect with their skill set and size.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I was just saying this in the NFL forum. TEs in general but especially New England's. Rex is a great defensive coach, but the best chef in the world can only make so much chicken parm out of chicken shit.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway the Jets would or could go after Martellus Bennett from Dallas? I think he is a FA and I doubt he's going to be commanding the big bucks. He's 6'6 270 lbs.

8. themantda

themantda New Member

Gm's r gonna start looking at college ball programs for 6'7 athletic dudes without nba futures. With these rules where u cant touch a reciever, there is no way nickel backs or safeties can hang with these guys.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Tightends are the least of our problems. We have 2 capable ones on our roster in Keller and Cumberland. I think they may draft a TE but it may be in the later rounds (5-6)

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Neither of them seem like a good fit for the type of offense sparano wants to run. You have to be a good blocker first and foremost, and neither of them are.

11. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

He's a better blocker than Keller, and as far as receiving skills, size, strength, and playmaking ability Keller is a joke compared to Jimmy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9RnDBEOne4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#31 al_toon_88, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  12. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Did I miss something watching Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham yesterday? They weren't getting crazy separation or were WIDE OPEN before their QBs got the ball to them, which is something Mark Sanchez needs before throwing the ball. There were countless number of times when Sanchez was rolling to the right and had a chance to dump the ball to Keller and let him run for 10 more yards, but Sanchez waited till Keller was like 2 yards away from sideline and his momentum just carried him out of bounds instead of yac opportunities.

13. ugggghhh

ugggghhh New Member

First of all, I've heard alot of Jets fans saying they want Fasano. It's just not gonna happen. He's not a free agent and I dont see the dolphins trading him to the Jets. I'm not saying it wont but I highly doubt it, so don't get your hopes up.

Also, just so you guys know, Sparano does like 2 tight end sets, but he doesn't use them as recievers very much. Just look at Fasano's stats to see that. As fans, we always use to get pissed at him because there would be chunks of games where Fasano wouldn't get a catch. We started using them more once we got Daboll, but until then we never really used em.

But back to Fasano, he may be the best blocking tight end in the NFL. According to profootballfocus.com he is anyways. And he's also a pretty good recievers. I dont see us getting rid of him. In fact, I expect us to draft another tight end possibly. I really like Coby Fleener from Stanford (I'm not sure if it's cody or coby). He's 6' 6" and he's fast. Should go sometime in the 2nd.

14. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

Keller is fucking awesome. We just dont get him the ball enough... loook what farve did the season he came here.. since Sanchez cant keep his eyes down field you would think he would use Keller more but he doesn't .. another TE would be nice if we could implement both into the the passing game.

15. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I see Cumberland being used more than Keller. They will pick up a TE, could be Baker or someone else. I think Keller may be used in Sporano's scheme but I am not sure.Out of the TE's, Keller is a question mark.

#35 JETFIGHTERS, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Theres nothing wrong with Keller. Give Keller a Brees or Brady and he'll put up those same #'s. Last I checked Keller led our team in both Rec's AND Yards lol, besides we have bigger problems to worry about right now! Like WR, O line, Pass rusher, ect... Once all those problems are addressed we can talk TE

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Don't be shocked if keller is traded this offseason.

18. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

No he wouldn't.

Keller can not block, has questionable hands, runs lousy routes and plays the game very soft.

Look for the Jets to try and unload him and take a stud TE in the draft.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think this is a real possibility also. The Jets have lots of holes to fill and Keller is not the type of tightend that Sparano prefers. What exactly they could get for him is not clear but the numbers he has put up over the last few years are pretty good given he's been playing with an inconsistent young QB.

I think it would hurt Sanchez to trade him but it might also help him some. Part of the problem Sanchez has is that he's 6'2" in a league that is a good bit taller than that on average. Throwing to a 6'2" guy in the middle of the field makes visibility an issue at times.

I never understood why Schotty did not roll Sanchez out more often instead of using the shotgun as much as he did. Barring that it probably would have been better to have Sanchez doing the steep angular drops that Drew Brees often takes. Brees looks like he's throwing the ball from 10 yards behind one of the tackles a lot of the time. That's one way to get him a better view of the field.

20. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Quincy Acy from Baylor is 6'6-6'7 about 240-245, I'd love if he entered the draft as I dont really see him as an NBA player he's way to small, he's a Power Forward but would be a nasty tight end. He's got hops, great hands and is fast as shit. He could easily ass 10-15 pounds, learn some NFL technique blocking from Sparano and be our very own Jimmy Graham, imagine Mark having a 6'6 260 target that would make DB's and LB's shit themselves.