Josh McDaniels might be heading back to the Pats

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by boshhemi487, Jan 6, 2012.

1. dex13

dex13 New Member

so its "fair" to hire the NE OC during the playoffs? If this doesn't happen, McD doesn't get hired.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's an outright lie. NY wasn't the favorite to win the East or the AFC.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The final 4 and 8 rules the owners brought on themselves by opting out of the CBA. Yuor asking to implement a freeze of coach hiring based on waht you think is an unfair advantage, but causing another one. It seems very biased of you.

McDaniels has no inside information on the current defense or offense that Denver runs. Why is it such a big deal to you that Denver fired him and shit canned his system over a year ago? What advantge does he bring? A little inside info on players maybe, but what he has is akin to signing a player that was just cut and that goes on all the time without the complaints.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I think the reason why this feels like a bigger issue is because the Patriots are playing Denver. I tend to doubt it would be as much of an issue if they were playing Cincinnati.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

did the NE OC leave the Pats to coach PSU now? if he did you might have a point.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

At his age he has no interest. He's been around since Raymond Berry was the HC.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He will be leaving the team intermittently to deal with PSU issues like recruiting.

As far as McDaniel goes. I think it makes sense to nme him to the staff immediately. You really think if they said he was just joining the team after the SB he wouldn't still be helping the Pats out the rest of this year?

Rob Ryan gave his brother the Cleveland gameplan for stopping the Pats last year in the playoffs and I don't remember anyone crying that it was unfair to get help from him.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

A lot of the experts did predict the Jets overtaking the Pats this year. Like everything else, it certainly wasn't universal. You can find "experts" that picked either way.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

of course there will be exceptions, the claim isn't dependent on a worldwide unanimous result or else nobody would ever be favored.

but the fact is overall New England was favored to win more games than the Jets before the season, inherently meaning they were favored to win the division over the Jets (unless you can present a scenario in which the Jets would have won less games but won the division) and had better odds to win the Super Bowl.

http://www.betvega.com/2011-nfl-odds-to-win-afc-east-favor-patriots-over-ny-jets/
    http://www.talkprofootball.com/2011-2012-nfl-future-betting-odds-to-win-afc-east/
    http://www.docsports.com/2011/afc-east-predictions-nfl-betting-odds-980.html
    http://www.nsawins.com/betting/nfl/...ions-and-picks-nfl-afc-east-division-preview/
    http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2011-afc-east-odds-picks/

I could link all day but it really is unnecessary.

10. dex13

dex13 New Member

doing double duty is not easy and he will definitely not be completely focused on the playoffs since "sign day" is in the beginning of February plus he has to put together a staff, see whose returning, etc.

The Pats had an OC who did this before and I'm guessing that they learned that the strain was more than expected so this time around they decided to hire an assistant to help.

11. broncoFan!

broncoFan! New Member

Mcdaniels is easily the most overrated QB coach in the NFL. The Rams offense was terrible. The 2010 Broncos offense was bad and very mediocre. I can not believe Billichik would take him right before the Broncos Patriots game.

12. nyjunc

is he still working for the Pats through the end of their season?

so it was Rob Ryan who won us that game? never mind we beat them BEFORE Cleveland beat them(TWICE w/ Rex) it was Rob?

13. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

I understand non-Patriots fans not liking this but at the end of the day:

1) It's legal
    2) They were planning on signing him before they knew their opponent
    3) He will most likely be the OC next season

If it was against the rules, it wouldn't happen. If they added him knowing they were playing the Broncos or if they dropped him after the game, it would be wrong.

14. nyjunc

My point isn't an anti-Pats rant, it was just a question why this is legal? NE is crushing Denver no matter who they bring in so it doesn't bother me if they do get an edge and if they do it's a smart move b/c it is legal- I just question why it is legal.

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Harpua already answered that question. It would put certain teams at a competitive disadvantage to NOT be able to hire coaches during the playoffs.

Also, as the Rob Ryan example demonstrated, the league allows any team to consult any coach at any time - there would literally be nothing to gain from explicitly banning this.

16. nyjunc

there's not a competitive disadvantage if a playoff team cannot sign a coach.

You want to talk to a guy on the phone? ok, but he shouldn't be on staff and the Rob Ryan example is a terrible won since Rex had already shut down the NE offense twice before Rob had success w/ Cle.

17. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Why not? There is a competitive disadvantage going into the next season because that team is left picking from the scraps to fill their coaching vacancies.

I'm not suggesting that his help was key to Rex's victory. But I am talking about the rules in a general sense here, not as they apply to certain situations. The Rob Ryan example is relevant simply because it shows that the rule "corrections" that you are suggesting do not prevent pooling of knowledge among coaches on different staffs.

I understand your point of view in the sense that it 'just seems wrong', but my point is that the difference between "your rules" and the current NFL rules does not exist in any logistical sense. They allow for all of the same things to occur; it is just a matter of whether it is explicitly allowed, or allowed in a slightly more roundabout way.

Besides, playoff teams almost never cut their coaching staff, which means that the most any team can do is to gain one-year-old knowledge about their playoff opponent... why would the NFL really care about preventing that?

18. nyjunc

If they want to hire a coach for the following year that coach shouldn't be allowed in the building. I know they'll still talk and they can work form somewhere else but that should be the rule.

19. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Okay, but you aren't doing much to back up that statement. You are just expressing your own sentimental feeling.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

To be able to bar people from singing at certin times would would need an agreement with a powerful union controlling the entire coaching work force. As far as I know there is no coaches union or CBA with such a group. To limit hireings without some kind of deal to that effect may open the NFL up to anti-trust lawsiuts by the coaches being lock out of chances to earn a paying job.