Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. broncoFan!

broncoFan! New Member

Interesting move. Hope it works out.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hopefully Todd Haley tags along.

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the signs say if wasnt rushed. Old OC gone and replaced in the same night means the Jets interviewed and made up their minds long ago.

4. TheGreenCantona

I think it is a consistent and good move. The most important thing for an organization is to be true to a game plan and execute.

5. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

If Sparano is indeed hired tomorrow, it would indicate that this decision was considered and rendered long ago, rather than that it was rushed. The front office obviously must have had a plan ready for when Schotty was released/fired/resigned if they make a hire so quickly.

Also, it's unlikely mere coincidence that Schotty "resigned" hours after the Jags hired someone else as their head coach. The plan likely went something like this:

Schotty, we hope you get hired somewhere cause A) you're a good guy and B) we don't want to have to pay you when we fire you...
    But, at some point we have to move on...
    If Jax doesn't hire you, you have to resign - oh, and here's $1 mill cash to assist with your "resignation"...
    The list of candidates was readied and perhaps decided upon days/weeks ago knowing than in either case, a Jax HC hiring meant the Jets' hiring of a new OC.

6. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

Dolphins were league worst red zone offense during sparano's tenure

7. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I guess Sean Payton wasn't available.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't know about the idea of another tag-team on the offensive side. That arrangement didn't work out too well for the Jets from 09 to 11.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That offense been a joke at times, but has won. That's the exact same excuse we give Sanchez. Sure he's bad at times but wins during the playoffs. After watching the #1 defense over persue and bite hard on play action over and over last week its the same tag Tebow is going to get, sure its ugly as hell, but it wins.

This is not a rigning endorsement of tebow, but of Jon Fox building a power runnign game around a gimick QB to win games. The Niners are using a similar tatic. They finished 29th in passing attempts but managed to go 13-3 with a stong D and ground game.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We should be glad we got a coach from the afc east. Not only will he have insight against our divisional rival the fins, but hell have experience cooking up a gameplan against the pats/bills as well.

Anyone who misses Schitty should GTFO, especially cuz Rex obv wanted this move and its not like the guy wont be on a short leash if this season doesnt go well

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't think anyone really misses Schotty.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It sure did for Tony Romo and Cowboys.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Aren't we going to go for the Sparano/Haley duo? Maybe with Sparano also coaching the OL and Haley also coaching the WRs...

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

I'd like to see Sanchez call more of his own plays, and see Tony Sparano fetch hot dogs for him. Were there no other lateral moves to make this year? Last year it was Braylon for Plaxico. Year before it was Thomas Jones for LT.

This isn't an upgrade. Just a shell game.

#134 Green Lantern, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Don't know what to make of this hire I'll have to see how this plays out.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

People are complaining that the play calling will be conservative, but isn't that what this team is built for? Running the ball effectively and playing strong nosed defense is supposed to be the cornerstone of this teams philosophy. Unless you guys would rather Sanchez was throwing the ball 40+ times a game? Not me. Strengthen the offensive line and work on developing a strong running attack again. And for Gods sake, would somebody make a god damned tackle out there? Sorry, didn't mean to bring the defense into this...

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From what I remember, Sparano and Haley teamed up for one season and it was when Bledsoe was QB, TO and Terry Glenn were starting wideouts and Julius Jones was the starter at RB. I'll have to double check on that, though. I also remember that they put up pretty gaudy stats for a aging starting group.

Edit: my bad, it was '05 and '06 and 2006 was the year Romo popped out of nowhere as a starter in wk 8.

#137 abyzmul, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Bledsoe started the season as the starter, but Romo took over mid-way through. I believe that particular season ended with Romo's botched FG hold (that may have been the following season, however).

I'd be interested to see who he brings in as the rest of the staff. Haley's a nutjob, but at the very least watching him scream at Holmes would be entertaining.

19. abyzmul

Exactly, Tony. I am actually on board with this move. Sparano did show a lot of innovation in the offensive department, conservatism aside. I'd like to see if the Jets allow him to choose his own staff for the offense. But his style of coaching offense compliments the roster the Jets currently possess.

And I guarantee we're going to sweep the Dolphins next season.

20. abyzmul

See my edit, Bledsoe started the 2005 season in it's entirety, then in '06 what you are talking about happened. not sure why I was so sure it was only one year.