Winston Wolfe NFL.com article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Jan 3, 2012.

1. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

2. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

That's a good article.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's not true. They wanted 3 CBs. Rex pounds the table for 3 CBs.

not true. Look at the film. He did well for a 2nd year FB. He was underused due to playing from behind and not sticking to the identity this team ran from like the plague.

This article is funny, but has glaring falsehoods.

I find that NFL.com is no different than any other site. Its about entertainment and not facts or analysis. Where the fuck is the analysis? Its NFL.com. There should be analysis.

Keep advertising Dameshek's bullshit that is not funny or interesting. Holy shit what the fuck has happened to the NFL media as an entirety? Its like the mobs of Rome more than ever before. Fucking idiots.

#5 NDmick, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Agreed, why does every first round pick have to be perfect and start their second year? Having our talented young corner play the nickel position is a great way for him to get experience because it is one of the hardest positions on the defensive side of the football.

7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He also gets to work another offseason with the god of corners himself Revis.

8. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Agreed. Article wasn't that good.

However, there were a few things I agreed with.

For example, I too can't believe Schotty is being seriously considered for a HC job. And I would also drive him to the airport for interviews.

I also agree the League pretty much figured out the Jets offense after the first two years. Things really have to be changed up once in a while. A lot of us posted here on the forums we could call the play before the ball snapped with a high percentage success rate. If fans can do it, so can opposing defenses.

The article kind of addressed Sanchez's check-down problem. It was really bad in the Dolphins game, but I think there's more to it than him getting nervous and that analysis wasn't very good.

I totally disagree that Slauson was "average". He's been great. When you don't hear about an offensive lineman it is a good thing. He made his blocks and he pushed people around.

No one talks about Matthew Mulligan, but that guy's penalties have been responsible for a ton of lost momentum in more than one game. His penalties have been killers.

Winston Wolfe is a douche for bagging on Wilson. Everyone knows it takes at least 3 years for a CB to start developing.

Wolfe then went on to say that no one on our entire roster would be a starter in any other NFL team. What an idiot.

9. SuperNova

SuperNova New Member

I agree. I don't get why a fantasy analyst is critiquing the Jets' off-season moves and our players' talent levels. What would he know about the progression of Kyle Wilson and Matt Slauson, because I'm sure he is not taking the time to watch the intricacies of our plays (let alone the plays of 31 other teams).

Fantasy analysts should stick to fantasy, and I would rather hear from ex-players, FO and personnel guys regarding the Jets' performance.

Also, it's ridiculous how he implies that it is so easy to create a WR corp like the Saints, Packers and Colts, and he acts like Santonio, Plax, Kerley and Turner are a bunch of scrubs.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

For real. You can't believe anything you see/read/hear anymore. ANywhere.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo, it was not an either/or situation. I agree with you that Ryan wanted three quality cb's on his team. In the league now, given the emphasis on the passing game, your #3 cb is virtually a starter in terms of how often they see the field and how important they are to the team, just as the #3 wideout is. That is why Ryan is right.

But I do think the CS did not think Wilson was good enough to play #2 Cb as of opening day this past season, and to that extent the point was a fair one. Wilson himself impressed me earlier in the season, but seemed to get shakier as the year went on, and he sucked in the last three games. Not totally sucked, of course. So maybe sucked is too severe.

Nah, I am not feeling generous right now. Wilson ended up being a disappointment.

The two points the article made that I totally agree with, though, regard the one about a director of personnel or consultant for that. The other is, assuming Sanchez stays (sigh), is to get him some real competition or at the least a real backup. The Brunell "coach as #2 Qb" days are over. Or should be, anyway.

The one thing I am very leery of, although I get the point, is that the Jets can just cut Holmes outright and take the cap hit. Ouch. That would be some hit.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

just to clarify,you do know the author wasn't really named winston wolfe right?

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I don't know why this writer thinks the jets need a new director of personnel. The Jets front office is fine. In the last 6 years they have done a lot more right then wrong.

No team, not even the genius patriots mistake free personnel decisions. My main issue with the jets front office is trading away draft picks every year for either proven expensive veterans or trading up in the draft. When Tannenbaum/Mangini took over, trading up made sense as they had very little elite talent but at this point you need to add as many young cheap players as possible.

I also don't get the concept of drafting so many running backs in a 3 year window. Greene, Mcknight, Powell and JC were almost 25% of the picks in the last 3 seasons. Considering that RB/FB is not exactly the hardest position to fill and that the Jets lacked picks/talent at other positions why use so many resources at one position? Especially when you have an offensive coordinator who in his perfect world would like to throw the ball every play.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Conner outright sucks. He can't catch the ball in the flat which makes him so one demensional he can't be in the field. Another bad draft pick.

15. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

A for pulp fiction references F for making any sense

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

I think you misinterpreted that, he said that none of our draft picks from 09 to present would be a starter on another team.
    I too am quite sore about the draft situation. Starting with Sanchez, we could've had many more shots at fielding good players if we would just stop trading off, packaging our picks. I think though, the main reason for doing so back since 09' was that the roster was good enough to win it all with (Yea..!! Eric Mangini)
    Now, we are moving more and more into Ryan's talent evaluation. This upcoming draft will surely be telling in that respect.

17. Titans

Titans Member

Not true about Connor go back and watch some of the games over he doesnt punish anyone in the hole with his blocks in the Dolphins game he outright didnt hit anyone my 9 year old even noticed it he needs to be replaced.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

bring in Polian to assist with the draft...hell if Manning does become available and you have Polian and Moore consulting it can't hurt.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

The media is amazing anymore. I have never seen so much piling on as there is with abusing the the Jets right now. If this was the Pats, they'd all be stepping on each others dicks with offerings of why this wasn't their fault......There is no objective analysis, no insightful offerings, just piling on and attacking everyone and everybody in the organization.

Total and utter garbage....all of it......