Does Holmes make our offense worse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IIMeanDeanII, Dec 27, 2011.

?

Does Holmes make this offense worse?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    84.5%
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I just want to get a feel of what the community thinks about Holmes on this offense this year, compared to last year when we had Edwards.

I have made it clear on this board that I feel that letting go of Edwards and keeping Holmes was a mistake. I feel the same.

I was thinking about last year when he was out because of his suspension, and how we were actually looking like a solid offensive threat during that time. Then I think about him coming back from his suspension, and how awful the offense became after he was placed in the offense.

Which all leads to this season as a whole, almost all year I felt like our offense has been sputtering, and I always felt like Holmes absolutely was consistently contributing to that fact.

Holmes does not provide a consistent deep threat, he is a horrible blocker, lazy routes, inconsistent hands, bad team player.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I honestly feel all of those things. I felt like Edwards complimented our offense so much better then Holmes.

A lot of mistakes have been made this year, is keeping Holmes instead of Edwards a big one too?

2. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Holmes isn't a perfect receiver but to say that we're actively worse because of his presence is stupid IMO.

3. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Holmes might be functionally retarded but he is a helluva WR. I think a lot of his faults are based in being undisciplined. If we had a HC that wasn't trying to be every players best friend and actually kept his team in line I think we would see a markedly improvement in Holmes and a decrease in stupid penalties.

4. IIMeanDeanII

His presence alone does not make us worse, they things he doesn't do make us worse. The fact that he sucks at blocking, drops balls way to often for the money he gets paid, lazy route running, lack of speed, and horrible attitude all contribute to making this offense worse from a WR perspective.

I never stated his presence alone makes us worse.

5. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I think Braylon is a better overall receiver but to say Holmes makes our Offense worse is off. He's a different type of receiver, more shifty and quick, less physical. They complimented each other perfectly.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think Holmes in essence makes the offense worse.

I think making him a captain did, however. Never make an irresponsible punk part of your player leadership. He is like Kerry Rhodes with explosive talent.

I hope against hope that this is a lesson learned by Rex.

7. steves850

steves850 Active Member

It's like if a kids in a classroom is running around disrupting the other children from working, and the teacher is encouraging the behavior. Maybe Rex actually does get in the players faces about this bullshit but he obviously doesn't give that impression to the media. Holmes needs to be humbled.

8. JetChibcha

JetChibcha Active Member

Agreed 100%

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

can't really answer this without knowing who the #2 wr is.
    if they signed edwards they wouldn't have signed burress.
    so if it was edwards + kerley i would say no.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I get why they made him captain... they thought it would make him take the job more seriously... but it didn't really work. and it's a shame because if he plays like he can he can be a very good WR.

Basically he's Cromartie on O.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

What a dumb thread. How quickly forget the games in which he saved our asses last year. Not to mention the fact that he's a former Superbowl MVP. When everyone is running a 5 yard curl, and everyone in the world knows it, it's hard to get open.

12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I voted no....but his after the play antics need to stop. I don't mind the "wings" Jet flyby or his first down ball drop....but he needs to do his flyby on the way to the bench. 15 yard penalties after a scoring play is not what he's signed to do. I give him a pass on the one game...everyone has a crap game once in a while and he usually does not. Sooo.....Yes, we need him. He makes our team better. He just needs to finish growing up and play smarter.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's not a dumb thread, it's a legit question. Yes he made big plays to win games last year but as a whole the offense seemed much more out of synch and slower after he served his suspension last year. Sanchez looked like a great QB in games 2, 3 and 4 last season.

It's a small sample but in games 2, 3 and 4 of last season he completed 60% of his passes, had 8TD's to ZERO INT's. Threw for 637 yards and his lowest QB rating was 106 with the other two being 120 and 124. Look at the game against the Pats in week 2, 70% 224 yards, 2 TD's and rating of 124. That with Edwards and Cotch and Keller as his primary targets.

He only had one other game last season in which is rating even came close to that and that was week 10 against Houston which was 100.

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

This thread should be locked, of course he doesn't make the offense worst hes just not being utilized right.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He is being utilized completely wrong, watch highlights of him on the Steelers. He was always running longer routes and would constantly get open. Now its all this short route crap.

Blame Schotty tho, Holmes cant create the plays, and when him, Burress, and Mason bitched, they were complaing for the right reason.

16. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Sanchez doesn't throw to him enough. How is he making the offense worse?

Sure he is overpaid and basically cost us the Eagle game, but he is not important enough in this offense to be hurting us..

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That about sums it up. I think they made Holmes a captain to try and help him grow into the role of leadership and act more mature. This in hopes of protecting thier big investment in him. Looks like the captaincy was a big mistake.

18. IIMeanDeanII

Why should it be locked? He is not being utilized right? Really?

Does the coaching staff have anything to do with his butter finger hands? His immature antics? His horrible run blocking? His horrible attitude?

Granted, I'm sure they are not using Holmes like they used him with the Steelers, but this isn't the Steelers offense. It's not going to be the same.

It's weird that Sanchez and the offense has been so much more effective without him.

All I'm saying is that he isn't a good fit on this team. He does not have the skill set that this offense requires to help your offense along. I don't care how you try to spin it, if our philosophy is ground and pound, we should have kept Edwards.

#18 IIMeanDeanII, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your not being a bit harsh, your being silly blind. Route running, Body control, and hands are Holmes biggest assets. Your man crush for Edwards is obvious and sad. Braylon was jsut cut by a team employing Ted Ginn as a receiver and yet he is somehow our Savior?

Why this fan base falls in love with so-so talents and third string QB's is baffling.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Watch this video, never tell me again that Holmes cant run a deep route. Complete waste of 10 million dollars, and all blame falls on the OC. He is not being used right, AT ALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPYpxzIgOQ