Braylon Edwards - Released by SF on 12/27

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Even with the off field issues our O seemed a hell of a lot better than this years....with Edwards we had a tall vertical threat which we have the tall part with plax but not the vertical threat.

2. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

he was wrong about those players and is most likely wrong about edwards.

edwards had two good seasons with the jets and had chemistry with sanchez, while the others are garbage that he hiumself picked!

edwards has been injured and may have not gotten the chance he deserved in san francisco. can't build chemistry if not given the chance.

edwards was a monster for the jets and should have been signed for reasonable $$$ once he reallized he wasn't attracting the $$$ he first thought he was worth.

he was on the market so long the jets had plenty of time to come back with a contract offer and should have.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Without knowing the assignments on the play, and also in watching on tv, you usually don't see where the safety is as the play develops, you can't say whether the receiver was Smith's assignment.

That's my point - all the posters here who constantly dump on Smith don't really understand the game. Ryan is a big fan of Smith. Smith has been his starter for quite some time. I have my problems with Ryan, but at least he understands the game of football more than the Smith haters here.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Ryan loves Smith because he's a strong, hard hitter and he's very intelligent. The guy is slower than the rest of the slow guys we have on defense and is regularly seen getting beat by TE's for long gains. It's easy for any football fan watching the Jets to see that Smith is a weak link. Similarly, it's easy for opposing teams to see he's a weak link which is why they continue to target him.

Rex has forgotten more about football than most everyone on this forum knows, but that doesn't mean he always makes good decisions. In fact he has a pretty well documented history of making poor decisions.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Getting Edwards back while keeping Burress would be a huge positive for the Jets offense. Use Bray for the medium/long balls and bring in Burress for the Redzone. Both should also be cheap to keep around.

6. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

I was agreeing with your post until the last paragraph, when i thought "At long last! Someone is going to tell us what the answer to the Erichschmittfrage was all along!"

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he isnt close to being a great WR, but he had instant chemistry with Sanchez.

also can stretch the field.

Plax cannot get down the field anymore, but is a far more reliable target than Edwards is.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is an article from last year.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/12/safety_eric_smith_using_smarts.html

10. Jetsfaninva

Jetsfaninva New Member

We need to sign him. He brings lots of mismatches for us

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

We could've had him for peanuts last offseason too, but Rex and Tanny didn't want to deal with his shit anymore.

They decided to let him walk, and his awful season has justified their decision. That ship has sailed.

12. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Well it's not a step back like the O has taken with out Braylon and Woody. What difference two players make, seriously. This must not go overlooked.

#52 cantwait57, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Exactly.....the guy had HUGE catches against Houston, Indy (Playoffs), and NE (Playoffs) and everybody seems to have forgotten. Unreal.....

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I don't think that anyone's forgetting that Braylon played well for us, but some people are forgetting that he's had a grand total of 14 catches for 172 yards this season.

You can't pay for past production in this league, and Edwards certainly appears to be past his prime. If Rex and Tanny didn't want him back for almost nothing last offseason, I'm sure that they won't change their mind now.

15. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

sign this beast........

16. Chrebet88

Chrebet88 New Member

I agree, resign him. He was one of our big play guys. Braylon and Mark had excellent chemistry and Braylon also brought a certain amount of "swag" to the Jets. I never really saw Braylon give up on routes. However, when I watch Plax it almost seems like he doesn't seem confident enough in himself to create seperation so he runs routes at 75%.

Braylon gave us huge plays when needed, he took the top off the defense and stretched the field. Plax is an endzone threat, but then again so is Holmes, I mean how many times have you seen #10 catch a ball in the corner at the end of the endzone?

I said this before the season started and before we picked up Plaxico.

Braylon > Plax, Braylon brought a certain amount of confidence to Sanchez and never gave up and brought us many big plays. Plaxico, I feel like if he isn't targeted he won't finish routes.

Also I miss Brad Smith!

#56 Chrebet88, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind seeing him back if healthy,but none of does shit without some major Oline improvement

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We definitely need to improve the OL in order to get the ball down the field.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would go so far as to say the Jets need to spend their 1st rd pick, assuming we still own it, on a RT if for no other reason than to protect Sanchez. I can only imagine the damage that could have happened if Hunter was the LT instead of the RT..

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, that is what you as a casual and mostly uninformed fan see. There was not a single play in the Eagles game where Smith had primary responsibility on Celek. As I noted on another thread, Celek's two huge plays were the TD and the 73 yarder. On the first he was covered by Scott, on the second by Harris. Harris btw took the blame for that play after the game. Yeah, you end up seeing Smith chase the receiver, because that's the safety's job, to tackle receivers or runners who break through the front seven or get by the cb.

Learn the game.