What was promising about the win Redskins Edition?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Weird how Greene had the kind of game Sanchez had last week, meaning lots of mediocre plays but then able to get the ball in the end zone. It's a tale of two takes on Greene, who in fairness at least got it done. But, turning back to the OP:

The OL. Another solid performance for the most part. No sacks against a team that gets a lot of them. Ferguson again looked a bit shakey, but Slauson, who I normally dump on, is showing real improvement in the running game. Moore was also pretty solid, and Hunter had a quiet day, which is a huge plus. Mangold is great.

Rex Ryan. I thought Ryan was delusional in his post game after the Bills game, but this performance was very much to his credit. He chose his challenges very well, and had the team focused right on through the game's end. Holmes talked about how the Jets stayed focused, and Ryan gets credit for that. I don't know how much Ryan was responsible for that inexplicable pass on third and one, but overall, this was a great performance by Ryan, and oh yeah he sounded like himself in the post game, too. A real improvement for sure.

Maybin. I doubt he soon becomes an every down player, but the Jets do not need him to be one. His play forcing the fumble was my favorite all day tied with Holmes's TD. It's a great story, and Maybin is really contributing.

Scott. Best game of the season.

Holmes. Get him the ball and he makes plays.

CS and defensive adjustments. While the team looked quite unprepared to start the game, they slowly made adjustments to stall Washington's running game. No A grade here, perhaps, but answering the OP, they have not made the in game adjustments consistently that they should be making. Yesterday they did. And they stuck with it right through the end of the game. No defensive break downs in the fourth quarter. Good work.

The cornerbacks. All played better than last week, with last week being a mediocre outing for what should be one of the core strong parts of the team. They looked better yesterday.

Sanchez. No interceptions, although Hall should have caught that one. But despite looking like poop for much of the second half, he once again came up with some nice plays to get the team out front in the fourth quarter, particularly getting the ball to Holmes there. Maybe he's elevating his performance when the team needs it most. Good.

Westerman and Leonhard also get honorable mentions, Westerman for some nice plays and Leonhard for catching the ball on kicks and not dropping them. Heh.

I think that's it, though.

2. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

finally got what i've been waiting for all season...

A SLANT-N-GO TO HOLMES!
    worked just like i said it would...

kudos to schotty for dialing this up at the right time...

aside from that not much positives on the offensive side...
    good game for the o-line, espcially protection-wise

defense started off terrible, but they made adjustments and closed out a game for once...

Maybin, Westerman, Scott.. nice job

3. Jetfanroy

Jetfanroy New Member

I totally agree!! Sanchez looked good in that 1st drive - I think once again Shotty & the 2nd & 3rd and 1 throwing twice is just an idiot!

4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

what was promising was winning on the road, i don't care who you're playing it's always a task to win on the road.

5. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

The most promising thing was that Sanchez made hist best throw of the year, and it wasn't the deep ball to Holmes (a throw that a lot of QB's can make). The throw on 3rd down right before the Holmes TD was an incredible throw that many QB's would not be able to make. On a corner blitz, Sanchez saw the blitz a bit late. He found Greene, pump-faked to get the LB off of him, and made an accurate throw while getting hit. The amount of composure it takes to make that throw is immense. Very few QB's can make that throw.

6. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed. That was an excellent play that Sanchez made that has gotten overlooked in favor of pass to Santonio for the TD. Both were terrific plays by Mark. It's plays like those with the game virtually on the line that give some fans hope. Unfortunately, others think he is beyond hope.

7. Cynic

Cynic New Member

He played good enough to win clearly, but you can't overlook the bad just because he threw a nice TD pass that a 5th overall selected QB should make.

The Bad:

Overthrowing a wide open Keller in crucial point of game
    On the next down panicking and effectively spiking the ball with no pass rush
    Near pick to Hall

8. surviveone

surviveone New Member

Kw with an int.
    Cause if would have dropped it, you guys would have been all over him.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I doubt it, the game was over, we'd won, nobody would have been too upset if that play hadn't been made. Great for him and his confidence that he was there to grab it though and end the game on a high after a couple of disappointing plays earlier in the contest, so definitely a plus.