Happy Feet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ramseyfan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

In another thread, a poster knocked Bollinger for "happy feet" in today's practice. Ramsey does it now and then. I've been wondering if it actually is a flaw in their game.

Boxers often dance on the balls of their feet before they plant and throw. Tennis players bounce when they're awaiting their opponent's serve. Nobody knocks boxers or tennis players for having happy feet. Why is it a flaw when a QB does it?

Under pressure, it allows for a quicker reaction when a QB is running through his progression if his primary receiver isn't open. Until, he picks his target and plants, isn't it a good idea to bounce? In fact, it's rare to find a QB who doesn't do it now and then.

Now, if he's bouncing while staring down one target that's something else again. But, it seems to me that the QB who is always flat-footed is the one doing something wrong.

What do you think? Have I missed something?

2. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

I think that "happy feet" in this context refers to the tendency of some quarterbacks to abandon the pocket or to not stay set in the pocket and not so much to whether they are on their toes literally. A QB that is too quick to abandon the pocket doesnt give himself time for his protection to set up and doesnt give his recievers time to complete their routes (Plus if he's moving around too much it makes it more difficult to find the open man). The end result is that they end up scrambling too often which, unless they are good scramblers with strong arms, limits the passes they can throw and the recievers they can throw to by reducing the size of the field and increases the likely hood that they will make a mistake.

3. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

You are probably right that some people mean that when referring to scramblers, but I don't think they mean that when referring to pocket passers like Ramsey. I heard the same knock on Peyton Manning in Indianapolis' playoff loss.

4. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

brooks can dance around a little but hes not going to make big plays for this feet

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

To me, the happy feet label is more an indication of nervousness and indecisiveness in the pocket. When a QB is relaxed, he will stay in the pocket, but not move his feet much unless he feels "real" pressure. If a QB has his feet planted, he's able to release faster. If he's hopping around, he'll have to plant his feet before he throws. That costs a fraction of a second, and in the NFL that can mean the difference between threading the needle or throwing an INT.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If you want happy feet, then the Mannings are a great example of it. Peyton does it much less often, but a lot of times it'll strike him when he's getting a ton of pressure on him, or when he starts overthinking. Eli has it pretty bad compared to his brother, there are a number of throws each game that you just shake your head at.

The effect is largely a physical thing, and not just in terms of timing as TBird pointed out (which is true). When a QB makes his ideal throw, everything is mechanical, feet planted, hips turn, shoulders square, ball release, whatever else you can throw in. A confidant QB can stand in, then make a quick step and throw, the feet planted and directed at his WR in most cases. When a QB has happy feet, the loss of that first step will throw off his whole motion, often affecting not just feet direction, but also release point, and wind up in an inaccurate pass.

7. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

But, as I said in the original post, until he finds a target, he can't plant. His primary might be to the right side and his third option is to the left. Dunno, seems like a good idea to stay on the balls of your feet until you pick out your target and then plant. But, I've never played QB except in pickup games, so what do I know?