did we sign bruce thornton?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by drownedjetsfan, Aug 4, 2006.

1. drownedjetsfan

drownedjetsfan New Member

just saw this flash on tv jets sign db bruce thornton anyone know him ?

2. GreenMachine

The only thing I saw was from Sperm Edwards at JN....

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20931

3. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

ARTICLE FROM NEW YORK JETS.COM

Jets Sign DB Thornton, Waive Jovon Johnson

The New York Jets announced Friday the signing of defensive back Bruce Thornton. The Jets also waived defensive back Jovon Johnson. The announcements were made by Jets’ General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Thornton, 5-10, 195 pounds, entered the NFL as a fourth-round selection by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2004 draft. He has played in 13 NFL games, one in his rookie season as a member of the Cowboys and 12 in 2005 with the San Francisco 49ers. He has recorded 32 tackles, two interceptions, and ten passes defended. As a three-year starter at Georgia, Thornton collected 129 tackles, 21 passes defended and four interceptions. A native of La Grange, GA, Thornton also gained 230 yards and three touchdowns on 47 carries playing tailback as a freshman.

Johnson, 5-9, 180 pounds, signed with the Jets on Tuesday, August 1 after a four-year career at the University of Iowa. The native of Erie, PA, ranks third on Iowa’s all-time career interceptions list with 17, one shy of the school record. He also led the Big Ten in 2005 with a 17.4 punt return average and ranks second in school annals in passes defensed with 32

poor javon a jet for 3 days wonder why eric did not like it

and dam it no number i need to update my roster

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

what roster are you talking about updating? it's training camp, no one knows who is going to be on this team yet.

5. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

my training camp roster

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

let one iowa guy go. and get another

7. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

saw this at another mb

poor javon...

Jovon Johnson waited this long to make it to an NFL camp; what were a few extra hours?

Johnson, who signed as a defensive back with the New York Jets on Tuesday, was set to join their training camp at 2 p.m. on Wednesday. That was until coach Eric Mangini saw temperatures forecasted in the mid-90s and the heat index over 100.

"They moved practice back to (Wednesday night) because the coaches were worried about heat exhaustion," Johnson said after practice, "so it really was a good day for me. The main thing right now is to learn their defense."

Earlier this week, Johnson heard through his agent that the Jets were looking for extra cornerbacks because of injuries. The Mercyhurst Prep graduate signed and left for their camp in Hempstead, N.Y.

Johnson, who played at the University of Iowa, became a free agent after he was bypassed in the NFL draft. He attended the Jets mini-camp in May and later worked out for the Buffalo Bills.

Neither the heat nor NFL wide receivers overwhelmed Johnson after his first practice.

"It was basic fundamental drills out there," he said, "the kind of stuff you were taught growing up playing (defensive) back. It's just everyone here is 10 times better than even college. You have to try to stay focused."

The Jets open their preseason schedule Aug. 11 at Tampa Bay and the regular season Sept. 10 at Tennessee.

"I'll just go out there and see what I can do," Johnson said. "Try to make some plays and see where they take me."

8. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

#44 if you want to look for him at camp

9. Keeprunning28

Keeprunning28 New Member

I thought number 44 was Lawton FB, but he didnt look like a fullback. This clears things up

10. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

lawton got cut

see that is why it is important to update a roster

people get confused

#10 jetsrule128, Aug 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2005
  11. croden14

croden14 New Member

im a huge georgia fan, thortnton started for the dawgs for i think 2 years and returned a int for a TD in the i think 2004 sugar bowl vs FSU

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

funny because i saw bruce thornton play a little bit. saw the game vs. the colts and he shut marvin harrison down and has some upside...nice signing :beer: