Why was Keyshawn such a prick to Chrebet?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Jul 28, 2006.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

HAH. Well, I meant every damn word. Like I said, call me a sap. Just not the Warren type, thanks. :lol:

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

when you say that you make it sound like Key was afraid to go over the middle and that is not true. We had 2 fearless WRs at that time.

3. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Where the hell do people get this "Keyshawn is lazy" crap from?

Way to throw out a black stereotypes as old as slavery about the guy. You can say what you want about his attitude and being a teammate or whatever, but he never took plays off, always did what he was asked, made tough catches over the middle, and did the little things like run blocking as good as anybody in the leuage.

4. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Way to pull out that big bag of shit, its not racism, your racist because your going off about how the white guy got credit when you just hate white people. I said lazy, I really meant he was a complainer. Im sure your now gonna tell us that Wayne cant dance.

5. Zcore

Zcore New Member

Key was/is selfish. I won't be surprised if he starts feuding with Steve Smith down in Carolina. It has absolutely nothing to do with RACE. & for the record I'm a black man...key just couldn't share the spot light at the time

#45 Zcore, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  6. WesleyWuzTheMan

WesleyWuzTheMan New Member

This black-white thing is such a drag. Calling davecrazy a "racist" for taking exception to Keyshawn being called "lazy" is just wrong. I take exception to the comment, too, because it doesn't apply to Keyshawn. Arrogant, self-centered, mean-spirited, those are applicable to Keyshawn, but he does play hard, if only for himself.

7. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I agree with you. I was really upset when he left. I thought the 2WR complimented each other extremely well. I'll never forget that catch Chrebet caught from Curtis to beat TB though.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Key is not lazy at all. He never has been. He's most certainly a self centered, arrogant jerk who thought he should be the pride of Jets fans, and he took it out on CHrebet that he wasn't. He was always jealous of Chrebets status as fan favorite.

But Key always played hard. He blocked very well, and always ran his routes hard.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I appreciated Keyshawn's work ethic and the effort he put out on the field. I didn't appreciate his constant over-rating of his talents though. If Keyshawn had just been content to be the player he was, a big possession receiver, he would have been much more valuable to his teams.

I thought the Jets made the right move when they let him go and I was not surprised when Tampa Bay chucked him either. I wish he'd helped the Jets win a super bowl instead of Tampa Bay, but that's all he did: help them win the super bowl.

Players who demand a big spotlight on the field need to be clearly the best at their positions. Keyshawn never got within a country mile of that in his career.

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I also don't think DaveCrazy is a rascist. We used to post on a gaming board several years ago, and he never came across that way.

11. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

The one thing that I will always remember about Keyshawn it was after a loss to the Colts he got up to the mike (player interviews after the game) and said he was tired of playing with a bunch of losers. Keyshawn for all his abilities was never a leader or looked up to by other teamates.

12. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Man, I remember that. I think it was after we lost to the Colts in 99.

13. nyjunc

He was very much a leader and wll respected in the LR, I remember the quote vaguely, it was more of trying to motivate his teammates than taking shots at them.

14. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Can anyone give examples of these quotes

15. nyjunc

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=203996&type=story

Keyshawn defends 'loser' comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Barry Wilner
    Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- As Keyshawn Johnson walked around the New York Jets' locker room, he stopped periodically to joke with teammates. There didn't appear to be any animosity over a comment he made following a loss in Indianapolis.
    Listening to Johnson's explanation Monday for his short tirade after the defeat was confusing business. Johnson admitted using the term "losers," although he was careful to include himself in such an indictment.

"I always include myself every time I talk," Johnson said. "I can't do it on my own. I'm not Superman. This is not basketball. It's collective. Football needs 11 guys."

He isn't sure all 11 guys on each unit -- particularly the offense -- are working together, or whether they carry the correct attitude on a team that is 4-7 and out of the AFC playoff chase.

"I'm not saying anybody is accepting it, and they better not be around me if they are," Johnson said of anyone with a losing attitude. "I don't accept it because I won't. But anyone saying I'm pointing fingers, that's a bunch of New York media hype.

"I didn't call any players losers. I said I will not accept losing. Why should I? I'm supposed to accept losing?"

Of course not. But should he be declaring out loud, "I don't want to be around no losers?"

That pronouncement came on his way off the field and before he entered the locker room at the RCA Dome after a 13-6 defeat. No teammates said they heard it, and coach Bill Parcells said he was unaware of what Johnson said, even though Indianapolis newspapers reported that Parcells was nearby when Johnson made his comment.

Johnson did question his team's exertion Monday, again without singling out anybody.

"Maybe if they had more of a sense of urgency, we would not be in this position," he said. "Part of the loss is the effort. You've got to put in the effort for four quarters."

The Jets were pitiful against a mediocre Colts defense, gaining just 214 yards, 88 in the air. That negated a masterful defensive performance in which New York limited the AFC's most potent attack to 287 yards and had three takeaways.

Johnson caught just four passes for 56 yards, and he was ignored for much of the second and third quarters.

"Everybody's got their ways of venting their frustration," fellow receiver Wayne Chrebet said. "Whatever he meant by it, he meant by it, but you can't read into it. If he has something to say, he'll say it."

Did Chrebet, who could not hold a fourth-down pass in the end zone on the Jets' final play, take Johnson's comment personally?

"Why should I?" he said.

Johnson's relationship with Chrebet remains cold. However, it would be a stretch to suggest Johnson was referring to Chrebet as a loser.

"At times in a war, you want to make sure everybody is fighting with you," Johnson said. "It's not like you have two or three guys fighting. Everyone drinks the wine and champagne when you win. Ask around in this locker room, and they feel the same way. One person feeds off the next."

16. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Now I've heard everything. Here I am -- a white guy -- sticking up for my favorite Jets player ever, and get called a racist who hates white people in the process.

17. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I was joking because you called everyone who called Keyshawn lazy was racist. I just hate when people bring racism into something thats totally not racist at all.

18. thebatsignal

thebatsignal New Member

Jealousy as noted above by many. Even Bill Parcells liked Chrebet's blue collar approach... and Johnson hated Chrebet for it. Ironically Parcells years later cut Keyshawn, and reports were that Key was deeply wounded by the move.

No one will ever retire Key's #19, and despite his solid career statistics Key will always remain a less talented less capable version of TO.

Chrebet on the otherhand will always be remembered by the Jet faithful.

www.chrebet.net (an OK site)

19. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

Arguing over why Me$hawn Johnson is a bigoted assho*e is a fruitless enterprise....he just was/is always Me$hawn

20. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

This is way off topic, but this is a hilarious picture that was posted on CNNSI.com of Me-Shawn:

[​IMG]