Top 5 things you will be looking for in Training camp/preseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jul 27, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

-The Running game- Will Curtis Martin or Cedric Houston become the #1 back or will the Jets use a RBBC?

-Mangini/Schottenheimer- It will be fun to see what kind of game plan Mangini will implement and what kind of offense Brian will run because none of us have any idea.

-The QB competition- It has been a long time since the Jets have gone into training camp without knowing who the #1 QB will be. I expect Chad to win the job, but I look foward to watching them duke it out.

-Underachieving players from 2005- Shaun Ellis, Dewayne Robertson, David Barrett, Justin McCareins, Doug Jolley, and Pete Kendall are all guys that need to step it up from last year. I fully expect Shaun Ellis to be a solid player for us on defense.

-The draft class- These are players the new regime think can lead the Jets for years to come. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Kellen Clemens will have alot of eyes focused on them. Will they prove they have what it takes?

2. JetGuru

JetGuru New Member

A resurgence by Pennington.

Then, we would have legitimate hope of making the playoffs. Seriously, we have enough talent to contend if we can find a QB. If Pennington or Ramsey can take charge in the preseason, we can have a good season...

3. baamf

baamf Active Member

Besides the ones you mentioned and the O-line play, the D-backfield competition should be interesting; lot of talented players vying for playing time. Also, I'm curious to see if Joel Dreesen steps it up this year. I think he can push Baker for the starting spot if his blocking has improved. Should be fun.

4. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Nice
    My 5

-Chad P's Arm-> Will it continue to improve and grow stronger or will the lame duck's persist? I like Chad and hope for the best but if he doesn't get his act together his chances of starting elsewhere are slim to none. He is our best shot at a respectable season.

-Andre Dyson->Good FA pickup? I wanted him last year and I'm very happy we got him! Great cover corner that should help our defense. Our D has the potential, but a few things do need to come together.

-Justin Miller->Starter this season or still not ready? I wanted Miller in the 1st round and I'm amazed we got him there at the 2nd. He needs to start turning some of his potential into production though. His performance vs. Steve Smith convinced me he can produce at a high level, but he needs to do it consistently.

-Qb pressure->Who is going to generate the pressure? We all know its up to the defense this year and creating pressure is the best way to force turnovers and change the outlook of a game. We'll do much better then most expect if we manage to force a turnover every now and then. Mangini, its going to be up to your scheme's here.

-Schottenheimer->Does this guy have what it takes to develop the schemes to take advantage of our Offenses strengths as he advertised? Or will he try to make others play within the confines of his scheme. Can he get production early and often with a young oline, old rb, and questions at qb?

Granted most of these questions can't be answered until the season starts, but they are pressing concerns to me.

5. Mr.ThirdDown

Mr.ThirdDown New Member

My biggest concern is run defense, particularly the d-line. I have little to no faith in Robertson at the nose tackle and everyone behind him in the depth chart. Also, other than Vilma and Barton the jets seem pretty mediocre and/or unproven at the LB position. If teams can run it down our throats and win the time of possession battle it'll kill us because we have no big quick strike threats on offense.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

1. Easily number one has to be the QB competition. Does Chad come back? Can Ramsey get that rifle arm under control? How quickly will Clemens progress?

2. D'Brick and Mangold's progression. Are they going to be legitimate starters or will they just be in there because they're young, high draft picks?

3. The WRs and TEs. Can Brad Smith adapt and play this year? Will Jerricho Cotchery take advantage of Chrebet's and McCariens absence and make a case for himself? What is Jason Pocisk good at and can be make a difference this season?

4. Justin Miller, Andre Dyson, David Barrett, Erik Coleman, and Kerry Rhodes. How will things shake out? It will be interesting to see if Miller can make himself a viable starter, and will Derrick Strait fall by the wayside? Is Dyson better than Barrett and will he be the one matched up against our opponents' #1s?

5. Mangini's style. I want to see how he will differ from Herm, and if he seems to be getting his point across to the players and getting them to buy into his system. I also want to see if he'll raise his voice and maybe shock the systems of these guys that haven't felt a coach's wrath in a while.

7. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

i want to see if schottenheimer can do to chris baker what he did to antonio gates

8. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Smooth transition to 3-4?

9. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i think the pass rush will come from almost everyone in the front 7...the 3-4 means that we will be blitzing from different directions and looking to cause mismatches with our 4 LB's speed rushing the OL....it should be interesting...the run Defense scares me b/c i dont know where its going to come from..we need a big man in the middle