Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Gutted to see Cotch go, once of my favorite players. Always gave 100% even when injured. I feel he was a good number 2 receiver but not opposite Holmes. Sad to see him go and I just hope he does not end up in the division.

2. Montana

Montana Member

No they werent....

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Makes sense. The speculation about cap hits and 2012 salary never made any sense to me.

Obviously, it was the Plaxico signing that forced Cotch's hand in this situation. I'm glad the Jets respected his wishes- he's earned that.

I hope we've improved the offense; that's a separate thing than upgrading the talent level of the wide receiver position. Hindsight- and only hindsight- will answer that question.

Cotchery needed to go. We needed a more talented, less injury-prone starting wide receiver than Cotchery. He might not have had an issue playing behind Braylon, but that's moot (it's becoming clearer and clearer that the Jets made a shrewd move to ignore Edwards). Anyone else, and he was going to request a trade or release. So be it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to angry-drink.

4. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

If he can't produce a source can he be banned for fake news please?

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What should have they done? Nothing. Let the guy play. What, now Cotchery was no good?

6. #28Martin

Oh c'mon, it's so freakin obvious. Yeah, he asked to be released cause he didn't like making 3 million dollars the next two years. I mean seriously, get a clue.

7. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I remember some mention last yr that he was having trouble adjusting to the limited passes in his direction. Led him to drop balls he normally catches. My guess is he wants a more prominent role in an offense. Sad to see him gonthough he was one of my favorite jets.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

not a good move if it's for Mason... How is Sanchez suppose to develop chemistry with his WR if they change yearly?

9. Montana

Montana Member

Sounds like it was the Plax signing...

10. ........

........ Trolls

No, he said in an interview today that he had been unhappy dating back to last season. When he raised his concerns with other players or coaches, they didn't agree. This isn't an issue that only dates back a few days. Stop trying to pretend it is. Cotchery's own words vastly outweigh your assumptions.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Time for a name change!

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't like Cotchery! He wanted out too much.

13. #28Martin

Nice try... NOW IT'S BEING REPORTED all over the place that he was asked to take a cut,,, starting with Cimini,,, so now let's see the apologies.

14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I'd like a name change too.

Cromartie's No Pants Party.

15. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

This was already reported hours ago when he said he wouldn't take a pay cut because he felt he already did a lot for the team. This isn't new stuff.

16. ........

........ Trolls

If the tough deal began last year, it was likely more having Edwards AND Holmes ahead of him. I don't really blame the guy for wanting to start, but the team really couldn't take a chance on that when they're trying to win a championship. The team couldn't really know how Cotchery would hold up until heavy contact, and with the new practice rules in place, they weren't going to get that until well after the time had passed to be able to bring Plax in. It was a tough situation, but it sounds like it was the best move for both sides.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Really.... Cimini knows more about Cotchery than Cotchery does.

18. mash84

mash84 Member

I don't like the move. J-Co was a solid player that gave full effort even when he was hurt. I hope Plaxico & Mason can stay healthy and play well.

19. #28Martin

C'mon BS aside,, and this isn't to be argumentative... The man was making 3 mill per and was signed thru 2012. From a logic standpoint, why would he voluntarily walk away from that money, to sign for half (that's all he's gonna get) from someone else?

20. ........

........ Trolls

Why would anyone apologize? He stated himself that he had problems dating back to last season. The team asked him to take a pay cut a few days ago. I'd imagine even you can see that his unhappiness predates the latter, right?